A Star is Born (re-re-reboot)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

“A Star is Born” stars four-time Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper (“American Sniper,” “American Hustle,” “Silver Linings Playbook”) and multiple award-winning, Oscar-nominated music superstar Lady Gaga, in her first leading role in a major motion picture. Cooper helms the drama, marking his directorial debut.

In this new take on the tragic love story, he plays seasoned musician Jackson Maine, who discovers—and falls in love with—struggling artist Ally (Gaga). She has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer... until Jack coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally’s career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down, as Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons. The cast of “A Star is Born” also includes Andrew Dice Clay, with Dave Chappelle and Sam Elliott...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Star is Born

Release date: October 2, 2018 (wide: Oct. 5)
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Bradley Cooper
MPAA Rating: R (for language throughout, some sexuality/nudity and substance abuse)
Screenwriters: Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters
Genre: Drama, Musical

Starring: Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, Andrew Silverstein, Dave Chappelle, Sam Elliott

Plot Summary: Cooper plays Jackson Maine, a country music star who is on the brink of decline when he discovers a talented unknown named Ally (Germanotta). As the two begin a passionate love affair, Jack coaxes Ally into the spotlight, catapulting her to stardom. But as Ally’s career quickly eclipses his own, Jack finds it increasingly hard to handle his fading glory.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wait for the Taylor Swift/Justin Bieber version.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not as anti-remake as some here are but good or bad, I'm just not interested in another version of this story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not as anti-remake as some here are but good or bad, I'm just not interested in another version of this story.

don't blame you. this is what... the fourth or fifth version of this story? I want to see it because I'm curious about Cooper as an actor, but I'll wait for a free screening or screener to do so.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't blame you. this is what... the fourth or fifth version of this story? I want to see it because I'm curious about Cooper as an actor, but I'll wait for a free screening or screener to do so.

Fifth version.

The original was released in 1937 starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March. The first remake was released in 1954 starring Judy Garland and James Mason. The second remake was released in 1976 starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. There was a third remake in Bollywood in 2013 titled Aashiqui 2 starring Aditya Roy Kapur and Shraddha Kapoor. So, this technically is the fourth remake of A Star is Born.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I hear it's amazing and Cooper can really sing. We already knew Gaga could sing but now I understand she does some stand out acting as well. Wasn't planning on seeing this but now I just might have to.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was not meh,...but blah when I first heard of this... but it looks like it may be fantastic.

Bradley Cooper has started to impress me quite a bit with his range...I know longer just think of him as that preppie dweeb in wedding crashers

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not meh,...but blah when I first heard of this... but it looks like it may be fantastic.

Bradley Cooper has started to impress me quite a bit with his range...I know longer just think of him as that preppie dweeb in wedding crashers

To me he'll always be Sydney Bristow's nosy reporter friend.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was very hate-able in that movie. As much as I roll my eyes at the insanity of Chris Kyle, Cooper was pretty awesome in the roll He is an excellent actor.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was outstanding. I have not seen any of the previous versions. But yeah, both of them just did amazing. The biggest surprise was how well Cooper sang and performed.

I predict Cooper will be in the running for Best Director and Gaga has a shot at Best Actress.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you should reconsider Steve. I just saw it and it's pretty damn great. The first hour is special... an absolute KNOCK-OUT. Acting, directing, editing, cinematography, set-pieces, music and more than anything, it builds their relationship beautifully... all Hollywood at the very peak of it's powers. And while the second half isn't QUITE as good due to it being a little more conventional, the last hour is still very good. Performances by everyone around are going to be contenders. I'll be stunned if Cooper and Gaga aren't at least nominated and could see one other having a shot at Best Supporting. Don't want to say who because there's some surprises in this movie who aren't in any of the trailers and both of them knock their roles out of the park (and neither is Chapelle... who was in the trailer... and was also very good). I'm also betting Cooper gets an Oscar Nom for Best Director also. I mean, every performance is very good to off the charts, he's juggling massive set-pieces with little moments of deep emotion and especially in the first hour, they both have maximum impact.

And it is the definition of a MOVIE-THEATER movie. Like I said, that first hour, is pretty epic in scope all the way around and the concert scenes gave chills.

Actually made me want to see Gaga perform for the first time in my life. People that talented just don't come along all that often and while I admittedly don't go gaga over her (SEE WHAT I DID THERE!?), she's a performer of the highest order and that's always something to behold live.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear your take on it cheese. I agree with it totally. I saw this movie weeks ago and i still think about it, it is so good.

Acting: didn't even seem like acting. It was like watching real people . Up and down.the cast, everyone was superb. I did no research into the older films or this one. I had no clue it has legendary comedians in it until i saw their names in the END credits. As for Gaga, you would think she was already a top acctress with Oscar noms already if you didnt know who she was. Plus, loved her natural look. I never would have recognized her if she walked right by me on the street before i saw this film.

Music: wow. Yes, see it in theaters, the concert scenes are jaw dropping. And all music was played live! As they made rhe movie, the music rocked harder. "Black Eyes" was written by Cooper AFTER filming started. And, he is really playing that guitar. I never knew one person could have so much talent. Directing, acting, writing music, playing music, playing with his dog all in one movie!

Yeah, it is so good i am going to do what i have not done in a long time. That is, see it again in theaters.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Black Eyes" was written by Cooper AFTER filming started. And, he is really playing that guitar. I never knew one person could have so much talent. Directing, acting, writing music, playing music, playing with his dog all in one movie!

Yeah, it is so good i am going to do what i have not done in a long time. That is, see it again in theaters.

Okay, playing with his dog sells me, I'll give it a try. But despite the great recommendations from you and cheesebeef, I'll have to wait till it hits my living room. Pulp Fiction will always be the last movie I saw or will see at a public theater.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well jeez, I was gonna wait for red box to see this but the last few posts have made me change my mind. Guess I’ll go see this in theatres this weekend.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well jeez, I was gonna wait for red box to see this but the last few posts have made me change my mind. Guess I’ll go see this in theatres this weekend.

definitely do so. It's at once both epic and intimate. Fantastic movie theater movie.

And now I've probably built it up too much... but all that said, I can't wait to get it as a screener and probably go to another free screening.

The one I went to last night had a Q&A with Bradley Cooper, his DP, Sound and Costumer. It's was really fascinating to hear how they shot it, what it was like with the crowds, the things that Cooper kept focused on which absolutely shine throughout the movie. Trying to get into tomorrow night's screening with Cooper and Gaga doing a Q&A after but I think I'd have to kill someone to do so.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Wow Wow!

Fantastic movie. My wife and I have been wanting to see this forever! We finally bit the bullet and went to a late night showing last night to make sure we got to see it before it left the theaters.

Cooper and Gaga were amazing! I would say Cooper's performance was Oscar worthy. One of my favorite movies of the year!

Hurry and see it before it leaves the theaters!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally saw this movie yesterday, jeez! I wish I had seen this in theaters as I think the music scenes would have been awesome (as everyone has already mentioned in the thread). Gaga did great and Cooper is just awesome in everything. Perfect casting, I can’t think of anyone better for the role of Ally.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the hell this movie got completely shut out at the Oscars.

All I can think of is it is because it has been made three times before. It certainly wasn't because of quality. I just saw "The Favourite" and yeah, Gaga should've been Best Actress.

It did win one. "Best Song"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't lobby "bribe" the academy hard enough you are not going to win.

yeah... but I'm sure WB did PLENTY of "lobbying". They had much more ammo to do so than Green Book.

I feel like it was a "wait your turn youngster/knock down pitch" kinda thing with Cooper, not wanting to reward him so much on his first time stepping into the director's batter box. The idea that he didn't even get NOMINATED for Best Director is ludicrous. All three lead actors were nominated for Oscars, the direction and feel of the music put the audience right on stage... and the guy made Andrew Dice Freaking Clay great! That didn't all happen magically.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... but I'm sure WB did PLENTY of "lobbying". They had much more ammo to do so than Green Book.

I feel like it was a "wait your turn youngster/knock down pitch" kinda thing with Cooper, not wanting to reward him so much on his first time stepping into the director's batter box. The idea that he didn't even get NOMINATED for Best Director is ludicrous. All three lead actors were nominated for Oscars, the direction and feel of the music put the audience right on stage... and the guy made Andrew Dice Freaking Clay great! That didn't all happen magically.

Wait... Andrew Dice Clay was in this movie?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson