A Series of Unfortunate Events

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Sep 19, 2018.

1. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

damn right.

Can't afford to destroy the first two years of a QBOTF. If there's ANY question of that happening, taking the above into account, you can make this team very attractive for someone looking to build a team with a lot of room to do so.

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

This was my fear when he was being courted in the run up to the hiring. Smith and Rivera are mired in the bottom level of my head coach competency rankings.

daves likes this.
  3. kerouac9

kerouac9 Boss Hogg

Two guys who coached poorly regarded teams to the Super Bowl are in the bottom level of your head coach competency rankings?

IMO, Ron Rivera (65-48-1) was the best case scenario for Dave McGinnis, and Lovie Smith (89-87) was the trial run for Marvin Lewis. Smith coached the Bears for 10 years and had 1 season with fewer than 7 wins -- his first. Always with below-average quarterbacks.

daves and b8rtm8nn like this.
  4. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

I agree. The Cardinals have a brand new HC and DC installing a new defense. They have a completely new QB room with an OC who is also installing a new offense. I think it's only fair to give this staff a full year to get their feet underneath them.

However as you have said, there needs to be improvement as the year goes on. If it's week 14 and the Cardinals haven't shown any improvement from the embarrassing first two weeks then that is a serious red flag and changes may need to be made at the end of the season.

cardncubfan likes this.
  5. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

FTFY!

It is utterly inconceivable and unacceptable for the team to continue putting up 5 first downs after 3 or four quarters. There is NO WAY they can allow that to happen for 14 games before making drastic changes.

...dave

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Mainstreet and Zeno like this.
  6. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I think our GM is fine & I'm willing to give our HC a little more time. It's the OC that I don't care for. Nobody expected the Cards to do well this year so I don't understand why everyone is up in arms when they are exactly what everyone expected. I believe Keim has a plan. He's turned around this franchise when he started so I'm not concerned. Next year we'll have tons of cap space & a top draft pick. Isn't that what everyone wanted from this year anyway?
    I'm always optimistic & I feel we have a chance to win every game. But I also understand that we just aren't that good as a team right now. So when we don't win I don't go all ballistic because I realize it's just a game. I have plenty of other things to stress about besides a damn game. ;)

WisconsinCard and CardNots like this.
  7. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

I agree with you Harry regarding needing to upgrade both lines, especially the OL next year as the first priority.

8. Sultan

Sultan Free Agent

Name me a GM in any sport who survived a dismal last place team 5 years in his tenure?

When Keim came on board he said it would take a while to clean up the bad contracts and get the house in order.

Bad drafting, bad contracts, poor coaching choices, extreme DUI. The guy's a mess and needs to go.

9. kerouac9

kerouac9 Boss Hogg

Jerry Angelo (Bears) survived one 4 years into his tenure. And a second one 7 years in.

Bill Polian (Colts) went 5-11 and finished last in 2001 and survived.

10. Sultan

Sultan Free Agent

It was more of a rhetorical question. I'm sure as crappy organizations have existed.

11. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

To be honest Keim has had to many misses in drafts and the last couple of years of FA haven’t helped either. I would like to see what McDonough could do.

unseenaz likes this.
  12. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Man the Cardinals OL is terrible. It blows my mind that this supposedly physical OL can't get an inch of push up front. We all knew that the pass blocking would most likely be suspect but where is this dominate run blocking team at?

As for Norwell, he has been struggling in Jacksonville after they made him the highest paid OG in the league:

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports...aking-time-for-jaguars-lineman-andrew-norwell

Man I thought for sure that Norwell would be a sure thing. Where have all the good OL gone???

13. unseenaz

unseenaz Registered

he's gonna bring in 3 QBs to compete for the job, they'll all get pissed that they aren't starting and demand a trade.

14. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

with olinemen it isnt always as simple as "Bad" or "good"... some guys are great at zone blocking but suck at man to man blocking...and vice versa... then you have schemes...some isolate, others provide double teams and others give help from backs or TE's
    what troubles me with our guys is it seams they are always trying to block forward...I never see a guy get an angle on a DE and just drive him sideways right out of the box.... very hard to open holes when you are blocking forward

the oline coach we got from carolina is top notch,...or at least has that reputation.... so my guess is the scheme or play design is the culprit as often as not

15. Veer

Veer Registered

If the Rosen-Kirk combo continues to show promise this season, and Cole anchoring our OL for all 16 games, the 2018 draft class alone will buy Keim another year at least.