A Question primarily to Chap...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...but anyone who has insight I am interested in hearing from.

In the movie industry, there are actors who work together more than once...Freeman/Judd, now Travolta/Jackson. What is the reason for this? Is it because these actors push for each other or is it an independent casting person who just happens to bring these people together again?

Also, can we surmise these actors really do like each other because of this?

I understand sequels to an extent as to why actors stick together (ie.Gibson/Glover).

Just curious

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's basically both, but most likely the first. Some actors have a repoir on screen--i.e., they generate money playing together in the same movie. A lot of times, they also request the other--especially if a star has the clout to do it, like Travolta.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
especially if a star has the clout to do it, like Travolta.

From what I hear, Travolta is quickly losing his clout in Hollywood. He still demands twenty million dollars, plus it costs another four million in expenses for him (he insists on having twelve clean Armani shirts ready for him at all times). It'd be one thing if his movies opened well today but they haven't been lately. I expect him and Martin Lawrence to quickly fall out of the twenty-mill payday range.

Kind of in response to AZCB's post, I know a lot of times actors will give each other scripts they've been reading (i.e. Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton in "Bandits") but a lot of times it's a producers idea to pair people together again (i.e. Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes in "Money Train"). Sometimes its works but it doesn't seem to be doing much nowadays.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
From what I hear, Travolta is quickly losing his clout in Hollywood.

Last I heard, he was still pushing for a sequel to Battlefield Earth. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13

Kind of in response to AZCB's post, I know a lot of times actors will give each other scripts they've been reading (i.e. Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton in "Bandits") but a lot of times it's a producers idea to pair people together again (i.e. Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes in "Money Train"). Sometimes its works but it doesn't seem to be doing much nowadays.

Bruce Willis is a good example of someone with clout. But in reality, most actors can't show a script around, UNLESS they have a producing/Exec producing credit. Mostly because scripts like that have to go through certain channels, i.e. agents.

Unfortunately, a lot of pairings that have proven to be goldmines in the past aren't doing so well. Why? Mostly because the scripts are pretty horrible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave