A Plus for Johnson

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
While I'd also be OK with Fassell or even Green, one thing that can be said for Jim Johnson......Darwin Wallker seems to be doing OK in Philly, so apparently HE knows how to get something out of our draft picks.

I say that half in jest, because I know that system and supporting cast means a lot. But, it may be that our talent selection has not been all that bad and with the right people coaching it, we may have more than we think already in the cupboard. He'd just have to get the right person to get the offense together.

Of course, the same could be said of Fassell or Green, that they just need the right man for the D side of things.

My point, I guess, is that Johnson may also be a decent option, better than some seem to give credit for.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The thing that I don't like about Jim Johnson is that it doesn't really seem like he wants to be a head coach. He's real old, and his name always comes up in these openings, but he's never closed the deal, and again he doesn't seem to have made it out of the first round of interviews.

Something about Jim Johnson as a head coaching candidate doesn't sit well with me. It feels to me like Sullivan being offensive coordinator: It's the next step, but his heart's not really into it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm also impressed with what JJ has done with Darwin Walker, but would be concerned about the ability of most assistant coaches to come here with an understanding of the "big picture" - i.e. recruiting and working with the right OC, DC and position coaches, installing sound player development, quality control and game prep methods yada yada.

If Johnson has the depth and breadth to transcend his days coaching the defense-only, then fine. But I have to wonder if whether one of Mac's shortcomings was that he never really understood what makes an offense hum. (Note - Since Fassel left as OC, I've never felt we've had someone really good who could mentor and develop our young QB's).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
But I have to wonder if whether one of Mac's shortcomings was that he never really understood what makes an offense hum. (Note - Since Fassel left as OC, I've never felt we've had someone really good who could mentor and develop our young QB's).

Mac never knew what made the DEFENSE hum either!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson