A New Thought - Trading 2nd Rd Pick?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There‘s quite a bit of speculation about the Cards trading their first pick. I oppose that. However, I‘d be on board with trading their second round pick, especially if they don‘t pick up one from trading Hopkins, for example. Moving down in round 2 would not mean the Cards passing on a unique player. With the Cards having so many holes there are they could fill 2 holes for the price of one. Typically coming up would be a team that had a strong feeling about a specific player. It could be someone from a short pool, like WR or RB or a deep pool at a critical position, like CB or Edge. What they could get depends on how badly the player is wanted. If the Cards get lucky, Cleveland might offer 43 & 99, maybe the Cards give back a 6th. Perhaps Washington gives up 48 & 98. These scenarios are not locks, but it‘s worth asking.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We should be able to trade down one spot and still get the defensive difference maker we covet. Gotta at least trade down to 4 if Indy is QB desperate.
This is the hope. We have to hope that teams want to trade up to get one of the QBs since there should be some competition.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the hope. We have to hope that teams want to trade up to get one of the QBs since there should be some competition.
Pretty meh QB class. Next year I think projects to be quite decent

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t pass on a top prospect unless it’s for a kings ransom. Trading down in later rounds I love. We needs all the bodies we can get.
If u trade down at 9 spot and u pick Aaron Donald or even further down and u get jj Watt, we don't know what we got with the new scout department under Monti, to me the only no missing prospect is Anderson Jr, Carter is so overrated based on production and snaps count, i would aspect more production for someone playing in a good defense and basically enough fresh to make splash plays
In 3 years
44 solo tackles
6 sacks
18 tackle for a loss
2 FF
4 pass deflection
Those are numbers for a third round pick(at best)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should be able to trade down one spot and still get the defensive difference maker we covet. Gotta at least trade down to 4 if Indy is QB desperate.
And how do we convince Indy they need to trade up then? Unless we make serious noise about trading down with someone else who is qb hungry and has the ammo - who would that even be? Or at least pretend we may draft a QB ourselves they would be dumb to even offer to trade up.

I think it's irrelevant anyway, no way in hell does Chicago not trade down - and by far the most likely team to trade up with them is Indy.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
And how do we convince Indy they need to trade up then? Unless we make serious noise about trading down with someone else who is qb hungry and has the ammo - who would that even be? Or at least pretend we may draft a QB ourselves they would be dumb to even offer to trade up.

I think it's irrelevant anyway, no way in hell does Chicago not trade down - and by far the most likely team to trade up with them is Indy.
The new GM should make a point in an interview to mention how successful the Patriot’s philosophy of trading down has been.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

This would be a test of Monti's mettle. There are trade up candidates like Carolina. If Anderson falls to us, you have to try to milk Indy of something to get their QBOF. If Anderson doesn't fall to us at 3, then actually sound out those trade down scenarios for a haul. I'm not convinced on Carter.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm torn on a trade so I guess ultimately I'm fine either way.

I love Will Anderson and I'd be excited to have him.

I can also see the benefit in trading back and drafting Gonzalez and stacking a bunch of picks to build the foundations of this roster for years to come.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

We can get the rumor started right here and see if Indy bites, the Cardinals are looking to trade the 3rd pick.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If u trade down at 9 spot and u pick Aaron Donald or even further down and u get jj Watt, we don't know what we got with the new scout department under Monti, to me the only no missing prospect is Anderson Jr, Carter is so overrated based on production and snaps count, i would aspect more production for someone playing in a good defense and basically enough fresh to make splash plays
In 3 years
44 solo tackles
6 sacks
18 tackle for a loss
2 FF
4 pass deflection
Those are numbers for a third round pick(at best)
Trayvon Walker was the #1 pick last year and Jalen Carter was considered by far the best player on that Georgia defense.

I'm not an expert but from what I understand is someone in his position shouldn't be getting the amount of pressure he does. He also consistently eats double teams, allowing edge players to get 1 on 1s, and he prevents guards from getting to the linebackers, helping out the run defense.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Trayvon Walker was the #1 pick last year and Jalen Carter was considered by far the best player on that Georgia defense.

I'm not an expert but from what I understand is someone in his position shouldn't be getting the amount of pressure he does. He also consistently eats double teams, allowing edge players to get 1 on 1s, and he prevents guards from getting to the linebackers, helping out the run defense.
Yet he doesn't have the stats. You look at the great DTs in the NFL like Donald, and they had the stats in college. Carter doesn't.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet he doesn't have the stats. You look at the great DTs in the NFL like Donald, and they had the stats in college. Carter doesn't.
I'm a little concerned about Carter turning into another Nkem

Looks good in some games and gets drafted way too high

Also he was surrounded with loads of talent on that D

Opposing DC's had to scheme for more than just him

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I want Carter or Anderson. Everything else will be gravy from that point on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose