A look at some key Cards' free agents and whether they should be re-signed

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Eh?

I would say I am in 50-50 agreance with you.

LSH, and Johnson are going to be kept and for good reason.

I have no idea why we would entertain re-signing Deuce Lutui. Stephen Williams will be re-signed but he will be gone by the end of traing camp, IMHO.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Eh?

I would say I am in 50-50 agreance with you.

LSH, and Johnson are going to be kept and for good reason.

I have no idea why we would entertain re-signing Deuce Lutui. Stephen Williams will be re-signed but he will be gone by the end of traing camp, IMHO.

.... because if he comes in at 330 and motivated, he's better than Hadnot who can then be the no. 1 backup at the three interior positions.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dunno about him being better than hadnot. I think they are pretty equal except hadnot can self motivate and stay in shape.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
.... because if he comes in at 330 and motivated, he's better than Hadnot who can then be the no. 1 backup at the three interior positions.

Has he ever come in at 330 and motivated? Maybe if we gave him a heavily incentive laden contract with roster bonuses for showing up in shape that lets us cut him for nothing if he doesn't.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Has he ever come in at 330 and motivated? Maybe if we gave him a heavily incentive laden contract with roster bonuses for showing up in shape that lets us cut him for nothing if he doesn't.

He's either motivated or out of the league, and I was certainly not thinking of anything multi-year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seldom if ever will FA moves be made in isolation (outside of context); the key question being whether we have someone better or more cost-effective than the guy we plan to let go.

(i.e. To simply say: "This guy goes." without knowing whether you have someone better to replace him would be foolish).

For this reason, who we keep or release can be hard to predIct accurately 100% of the time.

Last edited:

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like picking on Doucet much? Too amateurish for my taste but very nice presentation.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the buttload of money we should have available, not signing Hypen to the one year tender makes very little sense to me.

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
with the buttload of money we should have available, not signing Hypen to the one year tender makes very little sense to me.
There isn't a team in the league who would give up a 2nd round pick for a 3rd string rb, below average kr and good gunner on on the punt coverage team anyway...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Letting LSH go would be huge mistake: he is our best ST player, a versitle runningback, and is an above average KR. The new kickoff rule has damages his value, but not nearly enough to justify cutting him.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Letting LSH go is insane.

Almost as insane as how underutilized he is by the coaching staff.

OP
OP
Shaun M Church

Shaun M Church

Veteran
Reaction score
Letting LSH go would be huge mistake: he is our best ST player, a versitle runningback, and is an above average KR. The new kickoff rule has damages his value, but not nearly enough to justify cutting him.

It wouldn't be cutting him, it would be allowing a team to sign him and in return we get a draft pick. Don't get me wrong, I do like him as a player; I just think the draft pick we can get in return for him is more valuable than he is. He was bad returning kicks in 2011.

Maybe that's because of his increased role on offense; maybe it's because 2010 was a fluke and last year was a precursor to a mediocre career returning kicks.

I'm not really sold on us getting a second-round pick for him (as Darren Urban is), but an early-to-mid third would be pretty sweet. There are a few middle-round guys I can think of right now who would be great in the third. If we can grab a third, we should take it. (And the two I would want in that round are WR Juron Criner from the U of A, and Levy Adcock, a left tackle from Oklahoma State.)

We can drop Marshall back to return kicks in LSH's absence, the duo of Wells and Williams will be among the best in the league (Williams will be just as effective in the screen game as LSH), Adcock can make a near immediate impact at either tackle spot, Criner is a great No. 3/No. 4 right now and has potential to be a great compliment to Fitz....I think that's about it; that was kind of long sorry

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It wouldn't be cutting him, it would be allowing a team to sign him and in return we get a draft pick. Don't get me wrong, I do like him as a player; I just think the draft pick we can get in return for him is more valuable than he is. He was bad returning kicks in 2011.

Maybe that's because of his increased role on offense; maybe it's because 2010 was a fluke and last year was a precursor to a mediocre career returning kicks.

I'm not really sold on us getting a second-round pick for him (as Darren Urban is), but an early-to-mid third would be pretty sweet. There are a few middle-round guys I can think of right now who would be great in the third. If we can grab a third, we should take it. (And the two I would want in that round are WR Juron Criner from the U of A, and Levy Adcock, a left tackle from Oklahoma State.)

We can drop Marshall back to return kicks in LSH's absence, the duo of Wells and Williams will be among the best in the league (Williams will be just as effective in the screen game as LSH), Adcock can make a near immediate impact at either tackle spot, Criner is a great No. 3/No. 4 right now and has potential to be a great compliment to Fitz....I think that's about it; that was kind of long sorry
Marshall has returned 15 kicks in the NFL, none since 2007 and avgs 19 yards a return, what makes you think we can just drop him back there and he'll even be serviceable?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cheesy - Despite always thinking we have a buttload of money going into the offseason...it never seems to turn out that way. (In fact, my impression - from reading cap-related articles from a variety of sources - has been that we may be squeezed for cash/cap room).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Cheesy - Despite always thinking we have a buttload of money going into the offseason...it never seems to turn out that way. (In fact, my impression - from reading cap-related articles from a variety of sources - has been that we may be squeezed for cash/cap room).

That is IF we don't release Levi Brown who is around 17 million against the cap, plus there is talk of a "roll-over" amount the Cardinals will get but I don't know the validity of that.

Joeschmo, who is MIA (I assume and hope everything is OK), so we either got to get off our collective butts and figure this stuff out, or lazily speculate like we usually do. :D

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is IF we don't release Levi Brown who is around 17 million against the cap, plus there is talk of a "roll-over" amount the Cardinals will get but I don't know the validity of that.

Joeschmo, who is MIA (I assume and hope everything is OK), so we either got to get off our collective butts and figure this stuff out, or lazily speculate like we usually do. :D

By borrowing against future years, teams can up the approximately $120M CAP to $124/125M.

If we subtract the $18.3M for Levi, which obviously is subject to re-negotiation, the Cards are somewhere between $95 and $100M committed at this point.

So the CAP room could be as low as $20M or neighbouring $30M.

Consider CC, Marshall, O-tackles, number 2 w/o, D-line depth, RFA's... and that is eaten up rather quickly.

There are, however, ways to increase the CAP room by adjusting a few contracts or releases. For example: Stuckey is an over $2M hit - Do we really need him? Wilson's $6.5M is all in salary. Turning this into a pro-rated bonus in whole or in part would create more CAP room. And there are others.

www.spotrac.com

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

My vote is lazily speculate

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson