A Farewell of sorts

Errntknght

Reaction score
Just finished a couple of weeks in the Hospital and enjoyed spending 3 hrs catching up with the board. Amazing how you guys are sticking with the team, I must say. I've been silent most of the time - I didn't watch but a few games so I really couldn't contribute to the basketball convo.
My situation ain't good - 81 years old and a form of leukemia. I've got some good docs and they say with some breaks, i could live five more years - all it's going to take
is a breakthrough in gene therapy. They are working on it.
I'm not depressed about it. You won't believe it but I have never enjoyed my life more. I feel pretty good and no pain. The reason for enjoying life so much is that my brothers have rallied around - I have five of them and a sister three years older than me, who has has joined in the fun. I have gotten to know my brothers much better than ever before and have discovered that they are smart dudes - I knew they were smart but what I've found is that they are deep thinkers as well. We've had ten long lasting
conversations - hours each. Mostly I'm the discussion leader and we've talked a lot about how humans have evolved to be so remarkably intelligent and how we evolved to be the only animal that throws with any real ability. Believe it or not throwing and our intelligence have many connections. Who gives a rat's patoot? Me. I've been studying and working on these topics for about twenty years and within the last few months I've made some progress. My brothers are now thinking about them and my daughter is as well.
Interestingly it was one of my docs who urged me to deepen my relationships with my brothers, saying that a strong family can help heal you. I took it as a platitude but then my brothers rallied and and I was astounded by how right he was. I can't say it has healed me but it totally energized me.
I'm a changed person... I now talk to everyone I meet and I won't tolerate a trivial conversations. I keep trying different topics until something snags their interest. Many of the converstions stem from events and people in antiquity = the ancient Greeks for instance. Famous mathematicians and physicists. Omar Kyhham - Omar the tentmaker, who was an Arab contemporary of Plato and Aristotle - he was also a mathematician who reconciled all the major calendars of the ancient world and which persists to this day.

This is rather superficial but who knows I might go into deeper water. I don't if I'll ever regain my old enthusiasm for the Suns but I'm going to lurk. Who knows I might someday explain how Albert Einstein proved the atomic theory of matter 2500 years after Democtrictos of Miletus proposed the theory. If you can't wait, read Carlo Rovelli's book, "Seven Brief Lessons in Physics"

Errntknght / Gordon

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it a little misty in here?

I'd noted your absence a week or so ago but attributed it to the Suns sad state... wish that were the case.

Humanity can be and often is incredible, and I imagine it looks a lot better when you're able to brush aside trivial things like sports and the blowing winds of politics. You've turned an unenviable physical state into a glorious mental one, that in itself is amazing and beautiful.

Go forth my man, carpe diem.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this news, Gordon. Mortality is something that every one of us will have to confront at one point or another in each of our lives. But it sounds like you have a positive (and mature) perspective on it. Many do not... and while I can't blame anyone for fearing or resisting or maintaining any other self-delusion regarding what is probably the most challenging aspect of existence, it is so much better to approach it with acceptance, dignity, and serenity. After all, it is an inevitability for all of us.

Being free of pain (physical or emotional) and having close family and friends to share your thoughts with can certainly make what you are going through a much less intolerable process. And a positive outlook will have an undeniable impact, as well. The human spirit at its best is probably the most powerful tool we have, physical or metaphysical, to confront adversity.

Best wishes and peace to you, amigo!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m glad that you and your brothers have embraced one and other and that they’ve graced you, and you them, with the gifts of intellectual cornucopia. I’ve always counted my relationships with my brothers as my most prized possession. I am actively trying to cultivate that between my boys, but I’m fully cognizant that gaining their admission of such at 7 & 8 is a foolhardy goal. So instead I just always point out to them when they play well together or do something nice for one and other, with hope that the concept will take root and flourish for them too.

I’m saddened by your news. But uplifted by your tale. Juice whatever you have in front of you for all it’s worth!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon you have been missed. I always enjoy your intellectual intake on the Suns. I'm glad you have family to help get you through this period.

Please continue to follow the Suns whenever you have the desire. Your input is valued.

Take care and please know that you have friends on the forum who care about you.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard something not long ago and I thought it was a little cheesy when I heard it but the more I think about it, the more I find it's quite true and your story reminded me of it. "The best things in life aren't things at all, they're the people we get to share our experiences with." Kind of short, sweet, and to the point. I'm glad you've got some good people with you right now as you face what troubles you. Sometimes knowing you aren't alone is enough to keep the fight going a bit longer and you're able to dig a little deeper than you thought possible before.

I wish you all the best on your journey, wherever it takes you and however long it lasts. Godspeed sir.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good luck to you Gordon. It has truly been an honor knowing and discussing (arguing) about the Suns for all these years.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
God bless. It is always fun to banter on these boards with all of you and it provides some level of additional happiness or comfort in all our lives or we wouldnt do it!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a little misty in here?

I'd noted your absence a week or so ago but attributed it to the Suns sad state... wish that were the case.

Humanity can be and often is incredible, and I imagine it looks a lot better when you're able to brush aside trivial things like sports and the blowing winds of politics. You've turned an unenviable physical state into a glorious mental one, that in itself is amazing and beautiful.

Go forth my man, carpe diem.

It is, and very well said.

Best wishes to you, Gordon. Glad you are able to spend time with your family

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m glad that you and your brothers have embraced one and other and that they’ve graced you, and you them, with the gifts of intellectual cornucopia. I’ve always counted my relationships with my brothers as my most prized possession. I am actively trying to cultivate that between my boys, but I’m fully cognizant that gaining their admission of such at 7 & 8 is a foolhardy goal. So instead I just always point out to them when they play well together or do something nice for one and other, with hope that the concept will take root and flourish for them too.

I’m saddened by your news. But uplifted by your tale. Juice whatever you have in front of you for all it’s worth!

couldn't have said it better myself.

Thinking about you and your family @Errntknght. I hope you enjoy each day to the fullest!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My wishes are with you. I am three years younger than you and luckily, so far, nothing serious enough to worry about.

Although I have Stage III kidney disease, it has not progressed.

And an auto-immune disease which has been only a nuisance instead of an organ attack.

Although it probably caused the kidney situation.

My philosophy of life at this stage is quality-over-quantity. Good luck to you!

And to the Suns for hopefully taking major steps forward for us to enjoy.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Errntknght/Gordon. I don't know you, but I hope that one day I'll have the same maturity and graceful outlook as you do. As someone who's lost a few near and dear friends in the last few weeks, I've learned to cherish the things and people that give you joy. Thanks for sharing and my thoughts are with you and yours.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Gordon,

I am terrible in situations like this. I never know what to say, so I'll just say that you have always been one of my favorite posters here. You always have insightful things to say and never attack anyone. I hope things go well and you get to see our Suns win a championship.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said well so I'll just wish you the best in your time remaining and thank you for more than two decades of conversation about our Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just finished a couple of weeks in the Hospital and enjoyed spending 3 hrs catching up with the board. Amazing how you guys are sticking with the team, I must say. I've been silent most of the time - I didn't watch but a few games so I really couldn't contribute to the basketball convo.
My situation ain't good - 81 years old and a form of leukemia. I've got some good docs and they say with some breaks, i could live five more years - all it's going to take
is a breakthrough in gene therapy. They are working on it.
I'm not depressed about it. You won't believe it but I have never enjoyed my life more. I feel pretty good and no pain. The reason for enjoying life so much is that my brothers have rallied around - I have five of them and a sister three years older than me, who has has joined in the fun. I have gotten to know my brothers much better than ever before and have discovered that they are smart dudes - I knew they were smart but what I've found is that they are deep thinkers as well. We've had ten long lasting
conversations - hours each. Mostly I'm the discussion leader and we've talked a lot about how humans have evolved to be so remarkably intelligent and how we evolved to be the only animal that throws with any real ability. Believe it or not throwing and our intelligence have many connections. Who gives a rat's patoot? Me. I've been studying and working on these topics for about twenty years and within the last few months I've made some progress. My brothers are now thinking about them and my daughter is as well.
Interestingly it was one of my docs who urged me to deepen my relationships with my brothers, saying that a strong family can help heal you. I took it as a platitude but then my brothers rallied and and I was astounded by how right he was. I can't say it has healed me but it totally energized me.
I'm a changed person... I now talk to everyone I meet and I won't tolerate a trivial conversations. I keep trying different topics until something snags their interest. Many of the converstions stem from events and people in antiquity = the ancient Greeks for instance. Famous mathematicians and physicists. Omar Kyhham - Omar the tentmaker, who was an Arab contemporary of Plato and Aristotle - he was also a mathematician who reconciled all the major calendars of the ancient world and which persists to this day.

This is rather superficial but who knows I might go into deeper water. I don't if I'll ever regain my old enthusiasm for the Suns but I'm going to lurk. Who knows I might someday explain how Albert Einstein proved the atomic theory of matter 2500 years after Democtrictos of Miletus proposed the theory. If you can't wait, read Carlo Rovelli's book, "Seven Brief Lessons in Physics"

Errntknght / Gordon
One of the best posts ever! I hope you ARE posting here for a long time!

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I hope he is gone from Phoenix before your time is up. Way before. :thumbup:

This 100%, but please still haunt him anyway, regardless. :mrgreen:

Here's to hoping for several more years of pain free living and a great deal more of deep conversations with your friends, family and new acquaintances!

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reconnecting with, and being surprised by, family is really special. I'm with everyone wishing you well, Errntknght, and knowing that you've already found much of it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose