92 Percent of Students Prefer Paper Books Over E-Books

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer a physical book if I'm studying or reading something I might refer to later. I have a photographic memory, for want of a better word, and I can "see" where something was in the book and where it was on a page. Which allows me to pick up the book and re-read something to fact check or refresh my memory. Or re-read a favorite passage. I can't do it with a Kindle or tablet. On an e-reader.. one page looks like all the others in my brain.

What I wouldn't give to have to have a photographic memory. This would seem to support you wanting to keep some books handy.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
100% of trees polled prefer e-books to paperbacks.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
for me a book has it's own personality,..the stains, slight rips, dog eared pages,..it all tells yet another story about the journey of a favorite book... almost like they have their own soul... an e-reader is cold,.. lifeless, .. soulless

"Why yes, great book,...my son gave it to me"

Vs.

"yeah, that is a download my son bought for me"

just not the same to me....I feel zero connection with a digital book.

I have been trying,...as digital books appear to be pretty popular and I may soon have a couple to publish,... but it just is not working for me.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
I've tried e-books, I really have. I do the like the ability to define a word, or look up a subject while reading, but I really like to flip back and re-read, and DWKB mentioned something that I'm paranoid about as well — I have this fear that content will change or disappear in E-mode.

I'm also an addicted bibliophile, and in order to keep space for books under control, I'll donate books to a free lending library that's in a community I work in, and that's the other issue I have with e-books, the inability to share a good book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I've tried e-books, I really have. I do the like the ability to define a word, or look up a subject while reading, but I really like to flip back and re-read, and DWKB mentioned something that I'm paranoid about as well — I have this fear that content will change or disappear in E-mode.

I'm also an addicted bibliophile, and in order to keep space for books under control, I'll donate books to a free lending library that's in a community I work in, and that's the other issue I have with e-books, the inability to share a good book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are lots of ways to share ebooks. You just have to familiarize yourself with the technology.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Like my kindle particularly for travel. I can load up 10-12 books for a trip and it doesn't take up all that space in my luggage.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely need paper books for school. I am okay reading e-books for pleasure. I am not a huge reader, though so I wonder if that makes a difference.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love e-books for reading novels but I don't like e-books for college courses. I took an algorithm course recently and purchased the E-Book for it. It was just too hard to view and find stuff on my Kindle for my needs.

I like to read novels in bed and I found e-books more comfortable for me. Plus with my kindle app synced on all of my devices, if I'm out and about and stuck somewhere just waiting, I can use my phone and continue reading where I just left off. Very convenient.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also struggle with punctuation. :D

Only when typing ;)

I never use apostrophes when I type and then I go back and let spell check add them for me. Words like cant and dont (bwahahahaha) tend to not prompt me to fix them so I just leave them alone. I can type very quickly but do type in an unconventional way and have never bothered working that key into my typing.

So ultimately, I do it just to drive you nuts. If it was a professional setting, I would fix it :)

Errntknght

Reaction score
I make good use of the search function and some use of lifting quotes. As far as the reading experience I really like being able to set the text size and background color so it's easy on my ancient eyes. Setting the page size and format is also a nice feature - I'm on computer so I can have quite large pages, which I prefer. I forget to bookmark my place in real books much of the time so its a convenience to have the book remember where I'm at, especially when I put the book down for longer periods of time as I am wont to do.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it works for many people, but I still haven't read one. I enjoy/prefer reading books the old-fashioned way.