Censor this
Reaction score
Nash.......Magic =====Hall of Fame Point Guards
Hill..........Cooper ====Defenders who can score some
JRich.......Worthy ====Scorers and athletic finishers on break
Amare......AC Green ==Not so much. Scorer vs Defender/Rebounder
Shaq.......Kareem ====Hall of Fame Centers

Amundson....Rambis ===All Hustle, fan favorites
Barnes.........Byron Scott ==Good shooters, Scorers.( I know Byron started and was a shooting guard)

Magic would kill us, but I think we look somewhat like (not identical to)a Showtime Lakers team. We also go small with Amare playing center like Mychal Thompson.

Last edited:

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Pure blasphemy! :bang:

I like Nash.. but to compare him to Magic is absurd. Magic is arguably if not the best, one of the top 3 PG's of all time. Nash is not in that league. Not even close.

Hill and Cooper... While both can defend and score... Cooper was considered the best lockdown defender in the league at the time (ask Bird). Hill is on his last legs.

JRich and Worthy... Come on.. Again, Worthy is one of the ALL TIME great small forwards ever to play the game. Although I love JRich's game, I dont see him cracking the NBA's top 50 anytime soon.

Amare and AC... no arguments... too different to compare.

Shaq and Kareem.... Again... very different. Shaq's a power guy where Kareem was finesse. Kareem was a better fit in his latter years than Shaq is simply because the ball didnt have to go through Kareem. He had an outside game.

I know you are just comparing styles so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt there...but in style only. No way in skill level. To suggest this suns team is anywere comparable to the Lakers 80's team is ridiculous. Maybe if the 80's team came back for a reunion game 5 years later.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Alright, settle down LAKER fans....just because the comparison isn't exactly valid doesn't mean ya'll should come in here & pump up your beloved LAKER heroes from 30 years ago.:lol:
We all know that Riley's LAKERS were the best;).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure blasphemy! :bang:

I like Nash.. but to compare him to Magic is absurd. Magic is arguably if not the best, one of the top 3 PG's of all time. Nash is not in that league. Not even close.

Hill and Cooper... While both can defend and score... Cooper was considered the best lockdown defender in the league at the time (ask Bird). Hill is on his last legs.

JRich and Worthy... Come on.. Again, Worthy is one of the ALL TIME great small forwards ever to play the game. Although I love JRich's game, I dont see him cracking the NBA's top 50 anytime soon.

Amare and AC... no arguments... too different to compare.

Shaq and Kareem.... Again... very different. Shaq's a power guy where Kareem was finesse. Kareem was a better fit in his latter years than Shaq is simply because the ball didnt have to go through Kareem. He had an outside game.

I know you are just comparing styles so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt there...but in style only. No way in skill level. To suggest this suns team is anywere comparable to the Lakers 80's team is ridiculous. Maybe if the 80's team came back for a reunion game 5 years later.

I agree, the 80's Lakers were far superior to the Suns team. And it isn't even close. Magic and Kareem may be the two best players to have ever played the game and I'm not forgetting Jordan.

IMO, Kareem may be the best center to have ever suited up.

And this is coming from a Suns fan.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
magic was good, but there is no question that MJ was the best ever.

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Barnes.........Byron Scott ==Good shooters, Scorers.( I know Byron started and was a shooting guard)

Magic would kill us, but I think we look somewhat like (not identical to)a Showtime Lakers team. We also go small with Amare playing center like Mychal Thompson.

I am seriously, SERIOUSLY embarassed for you.

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
The Suns today are all equal or better players and would beat the '87 and '88 Lakers Championship teams I was comparing them to, is what I really meant when I started this. Some of you read between the lines so.... well, it is scary. Seriously. :mulli:

Last edited:

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns today are all equal or better players and would beat the '87 and '88 Lakers Championship teams I was comparing them to, is what I really meant when I started this. Some of you read between the lines so.... well, it is scary. Seriously. :mulli:

What's scray is that you actually beleive this.

I'm trying to decide which of your points is worse. Calling Grant Hill a "defender who can score" or comparing AC Green to Amare and not being able to even make a SLIGHT statement about whats different. The two players couldn't be more different.

You want a team to compare us to? I suggest you look at the Kings a few years back. Stay away from comparing us to the best teams of all times please; at least until we've actually WON SOMETHING.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
The '87 and '88 Lakers were better than the '08/'09 Lakers and the Suns are not as good as the current Laker squad. So how the hell can this Suns team be better than the the Lakers of yore?

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score

Did some of you guys really read this or did you just think I said something stupid and run with it?

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I would make these changes to my original post.

Hill/Barnes........Cooper====Defenders who can score some.

Barbosa..........Byron Scott====Good shooters, scorers. (I know Byron was a starter)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Did some of you guys really read this or did you just think I said something stupid and run with it?

Yes we read it. It makes no sense. There is no similarity between the two teams except for having an aging Center.
Current Suns are not even in the same league as the Showtime Lakers. Not even close. Quite frankly it's insulting to compare the two in any way, shape or form. Showtime Lakers are a legendary team, one of the best teams in the history of the League.
I understand that you are saying they are not exactly the same, but the fact is that they are not even close.