76ers @ Suns Monday 11-4-19 game thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? So, to date, you think his play suggests he is NOT a miss?

Like you, I expect almost nothing form the end of the bench players but I'd bet a lot of money that he will beat the odds and turn it around to become a decent player or Jones will consider him a wasted acquisition. Right now, when he gets out there, he looks just like the other clueless draft picks we've brought in that James worked so hard to divest ourselves of. Sure, we look at him as the last guy on the bench now but when we brought him in, that really wasn't the narrative. He was supposed to give us what we lost in Holmes and that's not happening. So far.
Right. He is a vet min signing. My expectation is pretty low.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd pass on Jokic. He's a tremendous player but he has weight and training issues and I don't like his long term forecast as a result. I'd pass on Zion too despite how much I love the guy, too much injury risk. I wouldn't touch Harden either, I believe his style of play probably sets a non-championship ceiling for his team. If we were starting a team from scratch with no Phoenix baggage, I'd take Giannis over him for sure and probably Kat and maybe Doncic.
I would also add AD.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Baynes was brought into replace Holmes and Diallo was an end of the bench player.
His 1 year salary of $1,678,854 would suggest that.

However, I do think even the 14th or 15th player should be able to play if necessary. Lecque might be an exception as he is mostly a development player.

Maybe I overstated, but I didn't know much about him and the posts here at the time of his signing suggested that a lot of people here expected far more than just an end of bench signing. And he may get there, I'm not calling it a done deal with him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would also add AD.

You're right, I should have included him. And I will also say, there are several more players out there that would be just as untouchable if we offered their team a Booker swap.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went back to the Diallo signing thread and I'm sorry but it doesn't really read like we just signed a 15th man. And I'm not even saying that anyone is wrong with their comments here, it's way too early to pass judgement on Diallo. I'm just trying to show why I thought we were getting someone around the level of Holmes. (and yes, some of these, offered here out of context, really help make my point:cool:)

*Better than Christian Wood.
*Efficient scorer, good rebounder, blocks some shots. Fills the bill.
*I'd rather see him get minutes than Kaminsky
*I like to think of Diallo as the Chriss we would still want to have on the Suns roster (from Dave King)
*Diallo's wingspan is much better than Clarke's. He's longer and knows the NBA
*very limited offensively. Reminds me of Holmes
*If the Pelicans didn't luck out and get the first pick this year. Diallo would have never hit the market. This looks like a nice signing.
*He's a pretty good rebounder, efficient, and has shown improvement every year.
*The stats don't make him appear as raw. He shoots a good percentage everywhere except for 3pt range, plays good defense.
Statistically I don't really see any weaknesses, other than he has not got a lot of playing time.
*He's not an end-of-the-bench journeyman at this point. He's a project who is almost ready to take the next step
*In Diallo the Suns have a depth power forward that can play if the need arises in addition to being a development player.
*Both Kaminsky and Diallo can fill in at center as well.
*In my opinion, he brings the sort of things I thought we needed from Clarke. Big fan of this signing.
*but this kid will give us what we need this year as an athletic defender and not force all of that on Ayton
*Looks like a more athletic/raw version of Holmes. Great pickup
*Of all the guys left on the market, this was the guy I wanted the Suns to sign
*I actually like Cheick more than Kaminsky or Bender or possibly Baynes.
*Or even starting.
*And since Kaminsky is probably a worse defender than Saric, we might see Cheick actually start.
*Gambo is reporting that the Pelicans had decided they wanted to keep Diallo over Randle and that is why they let Randle walk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What’s SO amazing is that at this moment (yes it’s still very early), I can’t point out one single player who I wished wasn’t on this team! As opposed to last season when I was questioning why half of the players were on this team! What an amazing job by Jones! He reconstructed this team via the draft, trade and free agency and he totally nailed it!

I can point to four: Saric, Kaminsky, Cam Johnson and Okobo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, Diallo seems like the one miss so far. But it's early so hopefully someone can teach him how to play the game before we find ourselves needing yet another big man. And with the way we draw fouls, that's almost bound to happen sometime.

Saric and Cam Johnson have been far bigger misses. Diallo was signed to be a 14th or 15th man to provide some spot minutes off the bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I went back to the Diallo signing thread and I'm sorry but it doesn't really read like we just signed a 15th man. And I'm not even saying that anyone is wrong with their comments here, I'm just trying to show why I thought we were getting someone around the level of Holmes. (and yes, some of these, offered here out of context, really help make my point:cool:)

*Better than Christian Wood.
*Efficient scorer, good rebounder, blocks some shots. Fills the bill.
*I'd rather see him get minutes than Kaminsky
*I like to think of Diallo as the Chriss we would still want to have on the Suns roster (from Dave King)
*Diallo's wingspan is much better than Clarke's. He's longer and knows the NBA
*very limited offensively. Reminds me of Holmes
*If the Pelicans didn't luck out and get the first pick this year. Diallo would have never hit the market. This looks like a nice signing.
*He's a pretty good rebounder, efficient, and has shown improvement every year.
*The stats don't make him appear as raw. He shoots a good percentage everywhere except for 3pt range, plays good defense.
Statistically I don't really see any weaknesses, other than he has not got a lot of playing time.
*He's not an end-of-the-bench journeyman at this point. He's a project who is almost ready to take the next step
*In Diallo the Suns have a depth power forward that can play if the need arises in addition to being a development player.
*Both Kaminsky and Diallo can fill in at center as well.
*In my opinion, he brings the sort of things I thought we needed from Clarke. Big fan of this signing.
*but this kid will give us what we need this year as an athletic defender and not force all of that on Ayton
*Looks like a more athletic/raw version of Holmes. Great pickup
*Of all the guys left on the market, this was the guy I wanted the Suns to sign
*I actually like Cheick more than Kaminsky or Bender or possibly Baynes.
*Or even starting.
*And since Kaminsky is probably a worse defender than Saric, we might see Cheick actually start.
*Gambo is reporting that the Pelicans had decided they wanted to keep Diallo over Randle and that is why they let Randle walk

I was probably one of the people who thought Diallo might play more Center than Kaminsky, or at least hoped he would, and that was two fold. I didn't think Kaminsky would be nearly as productive as he's been and I also saw Diallo as more of a legit Center than Kaminsky. I was no fan of the Frank signing and will admit to being way off there. It's a long season but he's looked like a great depth acquisition so far.

Diallo hasn't shown enough to really assign him a position but I don't think he can play PF in today's NBA. He lacks an offensive game, period. On defense he's not strong enough to make a difference against most opposing Centers and if he is then he has to overcome his lack of basketball IQ.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was probably one of the people who thought Diallo might play more Center than Kaminsky, or at least hoped he would, and that was two fold. I didn't think Kaminsky would be nearly as productive as he's been and I also saw Diallo as more of a legit Center than Kaminsky. I was no fan of the Frank signing and will admit to being way off there. It's a long season but he's looked like a great depth acquisition so far.

Diallo hasn't shown enough to really assign him a position but I don't think he can play PF in today's NBA. He lacks an offensive game, period. On defense he's not strong enough to make a difference against most opposing Centers and if he is then he has to overcome his lack of basketball IQ.

To be clear, I'm fine with all the signings and wouldn't write any one of them off just yet as a bust or a miss. But like I said earlier "Yeah, Diallo seems like the one miss so far. But it's early..."

I agree that he probably isn't going to see much time at power forward the way the game is now played but if things come together for him, I could see him pairing up with a player that is ostensibly the center although just for short stretches. There will likely be those nights where we desperately need his non-stop motor.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be clear, I'm fine with all the signings and wouldn't write any one of them off just yet as a bust or a miss. But like I said earlier "Yeah, Diallo seems like the one miss so far. But it's early..."

I get that. I've been in that camp since this conversation started. We're on the same page, I believe. :thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well I won't put it in my cheesesteak (mushrooms, fried and raw onions only. LOL) but I will give the Suns props where they are due. Would Embiid have helped? Absolutely, But your boys balled out and did what was necessary to come out with a gritty win. Personnel excuses are for losers IMO. It is what it is, and you've got to find a way to get it done. We didn't, Thus the L.
Yup. Ayton would’ve helped too.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven’t been online much today so have the suns received any national attention after last nights win?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been online much today so have the suns received any national attention after last nights win?

The story was a headline on ESPN NBA this morning.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

I was watching "The Jump" on ESPN out at lunch today, and the Suns were the lead story - about the first 20 minutes of the show was all Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing the talking heads at ESPN praise the Rubio signing now without acknowledging how they all made jokes about that back when it happened is frustrating. I'm not sure if Monty Williams is a bulletin board type of coach but I'd be using that as a thing to keep the team going so they don't get complacent. It's not enough to be the toast of the league, they need to make them acknowledge their own mistakes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? So, to date, you think his play suggests he is NOT a miss?

Like you, I expect almost nothing form the end of the bench players but I'd bet a lot of money that he will beat the odds and turn it around to become a decent player or Jones will consider him a wasted acquisition. Right now, when he gets out there, he looks just like the other clueless draft picks we've brought in that James worked so hard to divest ourselves of. Sure, we look at him as the last guy on the bench now but when we brought him in, that really wasn't the narrative. He was supposed to give us what we lost in Holmes and that's not happening. So far.

no he doesn’t. He looks competent defensively, and is just missing more shots then he should.

he is smart enough to not try and do more than he should. That alone makes him much smarter than most our previous draft picks.

I don’t think he is a miss, he will at least be a competent role player off the bench worst case.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can point to four: Saric, Kaminsky, Cam Johnson and Okobo.

kaminsky was playing great just because he is in a slump does not mean this is what we will continue to get.

okobo has actually been fantastic as a scorer this season.

saric I am very disappointed in. I had no idea he was such a terrible athlete. He really has trouble scoring 2 feet from the basket, that is a problem that is not going away.

cam Johnson I am convinced will be good as the season goes along. Not great, just an 8-10 point scorer off the bench

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no he doesn’t. He looks competent defensively, and is just missing more shots then he should.

he is smart enough to not try and do more than he should. That alone makes him much smarter than most our previous draft picks.

I don’t think he is a miss, he will at least be a competent role player off the bench worst case.

Worst case is what we're seeing, he's not competent enough to help alleviate any depth issues due to foul trouble in our front court. He's not a role player right now. He's might be someone worth developing some but even that hasn't been seen yet. To say worst case is he's a competent role player suggests that he's earned playing time and he hasn't. Worst case? He can't impress the coaches enough to get on the floor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson