5 Things Needed to Win 11 Games

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I received an interesting email yesterday that asked, “What would have to happen for the Cards to win 11 games?” After a little thought here’s my top of the mind response.

AJ Green returns to being an impact receiver
Cards get lucky and have few season ending injuries
Murray improves his pocket presence (progressions, poise, leadership)
Kingsbury improves drive extending play calls
Cards greatly increase number of QB sacks and hurries

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I received an interesting email yesterday that asked, “What would have to happen for the Cards to win 11 games?” After a little thought here’s my top of the mind response.

Sounds like a tall order. I can see Murray improving and us increasing the number of sacks and hurries. I have no confidence in Kingsbury, didn't like the Green signing, and you can never predict injuries. I mean, how often do we get lucky with injuries? We're the Cards, after all lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
offensively, absent bad injury luck, I think it will progress nicely.

defensively, its about the pass defense

they finished 16th in passer rating allowed, but I think that is misleading. There were wild swings: great numbers posted vs Flacco, Newton and Dalton, disasters vs Goff, Tua, Hurts, Bridgewater

The pass defense finished bottom third in the league for interceptions.

There is a strong correlation between high interceptions and overall positive turnover ratio.

Of the top 12 teams in interceptions, nine finished with a positive turnover ratio for the year (the Cards finished at even -- which is 18th overall).

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

We had 48 sacks in 2020, 8 off league-leading Pittsburg, and fourth overall.

An increase in 'hurries' as a goal I can see but should we match last season's sack total I'd be more than happy.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm looking for an upgrade in the Football IQ dept.

i.e. Consistently making better decisions and winning the majorty of physical battles. Conversely - not being outsmarted by opposing QB's and our defense left on the field on a majority of 3rd downs.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Here's a glaring need:

Kyler hitting receivers in the middle of the field more. There were a lot of open guys he was missing over the middle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

If all those things happen, the Cardinals win OVER 11 games...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have no questions on AJ Green being a better version of current Fitz. Our OL will be better with a stud at center. Our defense will not regress if not better. Kyler will be no worse than last year. Kingsbury knows how to run an offense... it comes down to Kingsbury giving enough time of day to at least be average at game management and the biggest factor, our new kicker making those kicks :raccoon:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The most unlikely one to happen here (by far IMO) is Kliff being better.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
11 games? We need our playmakers to make plays in spite of coaching.

sad, I know. But Kyler has to make kliff look good and our defensive front has to make Vance a HC again

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's a glaring need:

Kyler hitting receivers in the middle of the field more. There were a lot of open guys he was missing over the middle.

True, but what we see with a bird's eye view and what KM sees at field level are two very different things.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, but what we see with a bird's eye view and what KM sees at field level are two very different things.

That's the problem though isn't it? Kyler should be seeing better than us, despite his different perspective. That's why they get the big bucks.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's the problem though isn't it? Kyler should be seeing better than us, despite his different perspective. That's why they get the big bucks.

Well, if he moves left or right he may not see the open guy underneath that I see given that he's 5'10" and the bodies between him and the potential target are often well over 6'0", and he has a second or two or three to pull the trigger.

football karma

Reaction score
ill put this here -- but an interesting observation from PFF regarding use of motion:

"Arizona tries to stay as spread out as possible, plays with fast tempo by not moving its receivers to different positions"

so: one way to get defensive confusion is motion. another way is to play with tempo and not let them get set or make calls.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we become what the Browns were

Get overhyped a year too soon circa 2019 Browns

Lose faith from the media & fanbase

Then explode onto the scene circa 2020 Browns

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if he moves left or right he may not see the open guy underneath that I see given that he's 5'10" and the bodies between him and the potential target are often well over 6'0", and he has a second or two or three to pull the trigger.

That's a problem no?

football karma

Reaction score
People with a bird’s eye view will always see the field better than any QB. I hope this isn’t surprising.

back in 1999, had a chance to view Cards training camp, 11 on 11 live in red zone from just behind the end zone. Warner, Fitz, Adrian Wilson, Dansby, etc.

people have no idea how big, fast and chaotic it looks up close.

playing NFL QB at a high level might be the hardest thing in professional sports

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Based off of what?

Based off if he ever wants to become a better QB. No QB is going to have lasting or much success if he can't pick out open receivers in the middle of the field. If the problem is purely physical, he's doomed; he can't grow taller. If, as I suspect, the problem is development, we have every reason to believe he can and will improve. He'd better, anyway, or we're in trouble.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
back in 1999, had a chance to view Cards training camp, 11 on 11 live in red zone from just behind the end zone. Warner, Fitz, Adrian Wilson, Dansby, etc.

people have no idea how big, fast and chaotic it looks up close.

playing NFL QB at a high level might be the hardest thing in professional sports
Agreed with almost all of this.

We can try to compare how QBs see the field versus other QBs, but comparing to people watching from a birds eye view is pointless. Obviously, it’s easy for us to say cause we’re not the ones actually playing.