4k vs 1080p (50-60")

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've done some of the preliminary research on TV's in the last couple of days and I'm not sure who to believe. I understand what 4K is, and I understand it's supposed to give you a better picture, but from what I can tell it will not be noticeable yet, and not at the size I'm looking to get. The main issue I'm having is deciding if it's worth it. Some places say 'yeah, spend the money and buy a new shiny', while others say it'd be wise to wait a while. So what say you ASFN?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done some of the preliminary research on TV's in the last couple of days and I'm not sure who to believe. I understand what 4K is, and I understand it's supposed to give you a better picture, but from what I can tell it will not be noticeable yet, and not at the size I'm looking to get. The main issue I'm having is deciding if it's worth it. Some places say 'yeah, spend the money and buy a new shiny', while others say it'd be wise to wait a while. So what say you ASFN?

I've been an early adopter for just about everything home theater related but I'm going to wait. Nowhere near enough product IMO even if you agree with the small group of advice givers that believe it will have real impact on sub 80 inch TV's. At this point, I don't trust the industry. DVD worked because they all signed off and moved in the same direction (well, except for Richard Sharp and his Hollywood lawyer divx buddies). But since DVD, it's become a little bit more of a mess with each new piece of tech. I think I'm done buying into something new until the industry once again presents a somewhat united front.

Steve

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
4k is where HD was 10yrs ago or so. Everything not created at 4k is up scaled, just like early BR/dvd players did.

Until broadcast TV is 4k, I won't touch it. Just my .02.

4k content looks great, but not worth it. Plus 8k is right around the corner.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Recently bought a 4ktv for $339 before $40 rebate. The 39" Seiki.

4ktv right now is both there and not there. Don't buy an expensive one. Buy a cheap one or wait.

Even the expensive ones will be outdated soon enough. There are multiple new tech that needs to go live before they meet all the standards. I believe the next level bit color, HDMI 2.0, HVEC.265, and maybe something else. The very newest lines may have 2 or 3 of these, but still have quirks.

Some ultra high end 4ktv's will not be able to use Netflix 4k because they are simply outdated.

That said I love my 4ktv. I use it for my computer monitor, and this Seiki one is amazing. It doesn't have those features needed, but for what I use it for, it's perfectly fine.

It does 1080p/120 frames a second, actually it can do 136 frames a second. True 120 and 136, not interpolation.

It can do 1440/80 frames a second. So right there it's simply amazing.

It can even do 1800/52 frames a second. Which looks amazing.

4k is stuttery with 30 frames a second, but some people can live with it even with gaming.

Color is more off then the top end models, but not that bad. Seems to be somehow worse with component cable input with Cox, but PC wise via HDMI 1.4A it seems just fine.

The scaler isn't very good, but you can buy a U-Vision cable for about $40 bucks. I found one for about $20 from hhgreg. So it will upscale blu-rays pretty nicely. It can also run any 4k content you get from the net, since that stuff will all be 24 or 30 frames per second anyway.

But there will be new ones coming out soon for $500 that should be good to go. Even some more prestigious brands are down to the $800 or so mark, and looking to go even lower. 4ktv is basically here. Again, how many people are buying 1080p tv's for $200-2000 right now? You might as well get it if you are in the market for a TV, just make sure you either buy a cheap one or wait to get the ones that will be compatible with everything. But even the cheap Seiki is simply amazing as a computer monitor.

I opened the paper last weekend and they were advertising a 720p tv for $199. Jesus, what a ripoff. Pay the $100 more after rebate and go 4k.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the lack of content, I would stick with 1080p for now IMO.

I just bought a 60" vizio 1080p for like $800 back in march and i LOVE it.

The same thing in 4k would probably be $2,000 plus and I would still be watching 1080p stuff anyway.

I got the e series but by now the M series should be that price and has even better backlighting.

Happy hunting.

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So I asked because I can get a 50" 4k Vizio for $500, or a 60" 1080p for 550 or so. I was aware of the lack of content currently, but after reading here, in other places, and taking a look at where I'm putting it, it sounds like I should just buy the 4k TV, since the extra 10" won't make a huge difference in the space it's going in. Thanks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I asked because I can get a 50" 4k Vizio for $500, or a 60" 1080p for 550 or so. I was aware of the lack of content currently, but after reading here, in other places, and taking a look at where I'm putting it, it sounds like I should just buy the 4k TV, since the extra 10" won't make a huge difference in the space it's going in. Thanks.

Wow. I would absolutely choose the size over the 4K. Either way, hope you love your purchase.

Steve

Last edited:

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What brand and model and where is the 60" for $550??

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh I'd also like to say I got the Seiki 4k to be able to use the Nvidia 3D vision glasses. So now that Seiki 4k can also do 3D.

So for $299 you get the following.

1. A 4ktv
2. A PC monitor that can do the following 1080p/136hz, 1440/80, 1800/52, 1980/43, and of course 4k/30-37
3. A PC monitor that can utilize the Nvidia 3D Vision Active shutter glasses to give you 3D blurays and 3D gaming.

I'll just post a post I made informing others (so if the context seems a bit off that's why)

------------------------

Merry Xmas everybody. As a person who did alot of research on this and other forums before buying a Seiki around Halloween, I've got some GREAT news that has eluded a lot of people. I'm standing on the backs of giants for this, but nevertheless, I put it all together and now can show people how it's done. What is it?

Getting 3D Vision working with the Seiki!!!!!!!

That's right, I got it working last night and tested it (and enjoyed) Star Trek Into Darkness 3D bluray.

There's limitations, but it WORKS!!!!!

First the how:

You need to use the .inf method and spoof your windows and 3dvision into thinking it's something else, specifically the Acer_H5360. It's a DLP 3D projector.

Which means you need to use the DVI to HDMI that came with the 3dvision.

So when you want to run 3D blu rays or 3d video games, you need to load that inf and restart your OS. Then when you want to switch back, just switch it back, or use windows to search for the Generic PNP device inf and go back. Note: This is just when you want to switch your resolution capability. If you are fine with 1080p/60 for surfing the net and stuff, you can keep it at this resolution for a while, i.e. you're not pressed to switch it back immediately since 1080p/60 is still decent to do other stuff temporarily.

Another limitation, is that I guess since you are using a projector .inf, there is no sound through the seiki speakers. BUT... if you have any sort of speakers connected to your PC motherboard/soundcard... then this works just fine. My soundbar works great. So you lose the ability to use the seiki's internal speakers.

Another limitation is that this is limited to 1280x720p. So no full hd at this time. I'm not familiar with DLP projectors, but I have a feeling once someone releases or finds/makes a 1080p 3D projector .inf, then maybe even this limitation will fall. Of course the .inf the projector is linked to has to be 3D Vision Ready by Nvidia.

Another limitation is that the eyes are swapped. So with games, you'll need to wear the glasses upside down. Some people have used an eye swapper, but I haven't gotten this to work. Some others have suggested removing the lenses and switching them, and it worked for them. I can't confirm it. Some have said that in some games you don't need to swap eyes as it gives you a setting. I haven't played any games yet, so I can't confirm that.

BUT....at least with PowerDVD10, which is what I have, you CAN tell it to swap the left eye for the right eye, and thus at least with this program you can swap the eyes and use the glasses normally.

Also at first I had it in a really small screen, but that was because I was using the dot-for-dot, as soon as I used the remote's 'aspect' button it stretched it out and everything was full screen.

I had been looking everywhere and remember seeing people say they got this all to work, but the information was vague so I had to piece it all together and find a copy of the .inf.

But it's done, it works, and now it's documented.

It's works pretty good too. A little bit of cross talk, but it still completely works. I love it.

So add another confirmed use for the GREAT Seiki 4ktv. Oh and I'm using the 39" with one of the 50" firmwares.

(oh and since I'm on here I'd also like to report I can get 1440p/80 simply using the custom resolution through nvidia control panel and CVT reduced blank, as well as 1080/136, 1800/52 and 1980/43)

I know how important this 3D vision is to people so I wanted to post it here. I've literally read hundreds of posts on dozens of websites of people asking about it.

Oh I don't know how long the link will last, it's pretty old I think, but it still worked for me. Also attached a copy to this post.
http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/benq/w600/Acer_H5360.inf

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also been an early adopter on a ton of Home Theater equipment. I have been researching many new sets and looking at 4K. My problem is at this point there are too many things in flux but I still might pick up up a 4K set soon. I am also in the market for a new Projector and screen but I am not very happy with the 4K offerings and price ratio for projectors.

In terms of 4K, I went to a trade show earlier this year and was able to see many of the new technologies at work. IMO the value of 4K under 55 inch TV's is extremely questionable. Up close you can see the difference but once you get back 8 feet or so....not so much. However, at 55 inches and greater you start to see a very perceptible difference. IMO 65 inches or greater is the sweet spot when sitting from a distance.

I might still pick up a 65 4K set or bigger but I really want to wait for OLED to hit the market in mass. OLED is hands down the nicest picture I have EVER seen. If you get a chance to see it in person, I will tell you that it's no competition to anything on the market you will see. The sets are that good.

In terms of 8K, I have read nowhere that any content will be readily available anytime soon. Not to mention broadcasters are also talking 4K conversion and not 8K. So, IMO, even though I would have preferred the next leap to be 8K, it appears the industry at large is not interested. Meaning if you wait for 8K...you will be waiting a very long time IMO unless the content providers change course. As an example, 4K content is already trickling out with more on the way.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...In terms of 4K, I went to a trade show earlier this year and was able to see many of the new technologies at work. IMO the value of 4K under 55 inch TV's is extremely questionable. Up close you can see the difference but once you get back 8 feet or so....not so much. However, at 55 inches and greater you start to see a very perceptible difference. IMO 65 inches or greater is the sweet spot when sitting from a distance.

Agree.

I might still pick up a 65 4K set or bigger but I really want to wait for OLED to hit the market in mass. OLED is hands down the nicest picture I have EVER seen. If you get a chance to see it in person, I will tell you that it's no competition to anything on the market you will see. The sets are that good.

Amazing tech. I'm praying it takes off.