49 best FA PFF

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Biggest travesty on the list is Derrick Henry being at #28.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
There are some nice TEs available. Might not be a bad place to add with max williams.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m on record , January 14th, this is what is going to happen.

the Cardinals will tag Humphries and continue to negotiate a long term deal . A lower salary and a larger signing bonus will get it done. If he performs it won’t matter. If he doesn’t we’ll be dealing with cap issues like we are DJ.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim has said numerous times that O-Line is his specialty
Sorry if i missed it, but i don't remember him ever saying that. I do remember many times when people questioned how he could miss on so many O-line prospects given that he's a former O-lineman and ought to have more insight on those positions.

...dave

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m guessing we get 1 of these players on the list (excluding DJ & Fitz)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why wouldn't age matter?

I would take Humpries in the top 10 of all of those tackles considering everything, including age.

Age does matter, but not for the purposes of deciding who is a "top 10 talent" in the league.

You said Hump is arguably a top 10 tackle. Based on talent, which is the only thing top 10's are based on, he clearly isn't. He's barely top 20. Possibly not even.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im done talking about the offensive line with people who have complained about the offensive line over the past 2 years and want to invest LESS in it this offseason. Crazy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure which angle you are coming in at here.

Are you saying not extending Hump is not investing?

I would disagree. Buying a bad stock is investing but it's not smart.

What's better? Putting your money in an expensive stock that's maxed out and may well decline or putting your money in a startup whose shares are much cheaper and that the whole business world thinks has huge growth potential?

That startup stock is guaranteed to make us $50m in the next 5 years (cap savings).

Sure you can never predict the market, it could go the other way, but the odds are not against it based on what we know.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But you have to look beyond this year, especially since we aren’t in a super bowl potential window just yet. If this list was next year it’s more than likely given player ages that Hump would be further up the list and the 37 (now 38) year olds would have dropped off it completely.

May point is that an athletes peak is around 28-30. You have to take that into account

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not sure which angle you are coming in at here.

Are you saying not extending Hump is not investing?

I would disagree. Buying a bad stock is investing but it's not smart.

What's better? Putting your money in an expensive stock that's maxed out and may well decline or putting your money in a startup whose shares are much cheaper and that the whole business world thinks has huge growth potential?

That startup stock is guaranteed to make us $50m in the next 5 years (cap savings).

Sure you can never predict the market, it could go the other way, but the odds are not against it based on what we know.
Yes, it is not investing. When you are in a position which supports the foundation of the company/family, you don't throw all of your eggs into a high risk startup. You diversify by investing a portion into known quantities and then some into higher-risk startups.

And that startup that you are touting, has the potential to pay out, but is in no way certain. Also, if you foreclose on your house or your company goes bankrupt waiting for that payout, did you really win?

Yes, letting DJ walk and taking a OT in the draft could payoff in 5 years. But, if Keim, Kingsbury and Kyler Murray all fail in the service of that "correct move" was it really the correct move? No, it will not have been.

To use your analogy...
Re-sign DJ Humphries - safe, mid level stock, with average return. Possibly reallocate these investment dollars in 5 years if startup hits.

Re-sign Murray - penny stock, bought low, valuable but at best an average return to zero.

Draft Wirfs at #8 - startup, high potential return over the next 5 years, could be the centerpiece of your portfolio in the future.

That is smart investing with a diversified portfolio with a mixed range of risk.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The best solution for the Cards is to tag Humphries and then see who falls to #8 since we could use a RT anyway. If Andrew Thomas slips to #8, you get the consensus top O-Lineman in the draft, you get your starting RT in 2020, and you gain HUGE leverage in future negotiations with DJ...because Thomas could slide over to LT in year two. It wouldn't be a redshirt situation (like with DJ) where your first round pick doesnt get on the field. You can still justify the pick as getting an impact starter.

If Thomas is not there, you are not forced to go O-Line in the 1st

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you think the Cards have considered the Transition Tag with DJ? Gives him a chance to negotiate a deal with another team, and gives us a chance to match it.

I guess I just have a hard time seeing DJ getting 15 million on the open market...more like 10 IMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, it is not investing. When you are in a position which supports the foundation of the company/family, you don't throw all of your eggs into a high risk startup. You diversify by investing a portion into known quantities and then some into higher-risk startups.

And that startup that you are touting, has the potential to pay out, but is in no way certain. Also, if you foreclose on your house or your company goes bankrupt waiting for that payout, did you really win?

Yes, letting DJ walk and taking a OT in the draft could payoff in 5 years. But, if Keim, Kingsbury and Kyler Murray all fail in the service of that "correct move" was it really the correct move? No, it will not have been.

Why can't a rookie tackle come in and perform right away? People think Simmons can do so at LB, or Lamb can do so at WR. I'm not saying a rookie LT is going to be Quinton Nelson like in year 1 but there's no reason not to expect someone like Thomas, Wills or Wirfs (who are all universally believed to be top 10 talents) can come in and do a job similar to Hump.

Let's not forget Hump is not elite. He's not even good. He is and always has been, average. In a FA class with 4 decent FA left tackles he is the 4th best tackle. All a rookie LT has to do is come in and be average in year 1, and for a top 10 pick that shouldn't be hard.

McGlinchey was taken at #9 last year, started right away and had a 74 PFF grade in year 1. The only time Hump has had a final grade over 70 is the year he only played 3 games.

Is it risk free? No it's not. I'm not oblivious to the risk. But it's also not high risk. It has a greater potential to work than not.

This team can't continue to be mediocre. Signing average players to fat, long term contracts is the way to ensure we do. We need to make some bold moves to turn this around. They will come with some risks, but if we are smart and lucky we can change the trajectory of the team.

Of course, I say all this knowing Keim is neither smart or lucky.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why can't a rookie tackle come in and perform right away? People think Simmons can do so at LB, or Lamb can do so at WR. I'm not saying a rookie LT is going to be Quinton Nelson like in year 1 but there's no reason not to expect someone like Thomas, Wills or Wirfs (who are all universally believed to be top 10 talents) can come in and do a job similar to Hump.

Let's not forget Hump is not elite. He's not even good. He is and always has been, average. In a FA class with 4 decent FA left tackles he is the 4th best tackle. All a rookie LT has to do is come in and be average in year 1, and for a top 10 pick that shouldn't be hard.

McGlinchey was taken at #9 last year, started right away and had a 74 PFF grade in year 1. The only time Hump has had a final grade over 70 is the year he only played 3 games.

Is it risk free? No it's not. I'm not oblivious to the risk. But it's also not high risk. It has a greater potential to work than not.

This team can't continue to be mediocre. Signing average players to fat, long term contracts is the way to ensure we do. We need to make some bold moves to turn this around. They will come with some risks, but if we are smart and lucky we can change the trajectory of the team.

I’m fully confident in Wirfs & Willis coming in & doing a solid job right off the bat. It’ll be much better with of them at RT & Hump at LT.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Because if Simmons has a rough start or Lamb, it does not also effect your QB getting pummeled in a crucial sophomore campaign for his development and it is high risk because the McGlincheys and Nelsons are not the status quo of even successful OT early on. Let me inform you on even a more difficult endeavor, finding a franchise QB in the draft. We might have beaten the odds and found one in Murray... but getting stubborn on 'average' in your judgement which might dismantle a greater achievement is not the proper route at this juncture, franchise tag Humphries at least for insurance for the sake of your QB

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I probably should put this in the "I was wrong thread". Having gone back and watched...Anthony Harris was pretty good last year. :(

I would take him.

I think the Cardinals DON'T go after a safety. I think they are probably happy with what they have, and it's actually a fairly decent position for the Cardinals.

Baker and the Thompson twins are young and cheap. The defense does lack a true centerfielder, but I bet they think that one of the trio can get it done.

Maybe the team takes a day 3 guy with the traits to be good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals DON'T go after a safety. I think they are probably happy with what they have, and it's actually a fairly decent position for the Cardinals.

Baker and the Thompson twins are young and cheap. The defense does lack a true centerfielder, but I bet they think that one of the trio can get it done.

Maybe the team takes a day 3 guy with the traits to be good.
I am sure the Cardinals like their secondary more than I do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave