49 best FA PFF

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chris_Sanders, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I know we have a bad habit of overvaluing our own players so here is their list published today.

1. Amari Cooper WR
    2. Chris Jones DL
    3. Anthony Harris S
    4. Byron Jones CB
    5. Chris Harris Jr CB
    6. AJ Green WR
    7. Jadeveon Clowney Edge
    8. Hunter Henry TE
    9. Cory Littleton LB
    10. Anthony Castonzo T
    11. Robby Anderson WR
    12. Justin Simmons S
    13. Jack Conklin T
    14. Brandon Scherff G
    15. Devin McCourty S
    16. Joe Thuney G
    17. Shaquil Barrett Edge
    18. Yannik NGakoue Edge
    19. Emmanuel Sanders WR
    20. Arik Armstead DL/Edge
    21. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S
    22. Eric Ebron TE
    23. Tre Boston S
    24. DJ Reader DL
    25. Javon Hargrave DL
    26. Leonard Williams DL
    27. Troy Hill CB
    28. Derrick Henry RB
    29. Writer skipped this number for some reason
    30. Austin Hooper TE
    31. Breshad Perriman WR
    32. Melvin Gordon RB
    33. Kyle Van Noy Edge/LB
    34. Joe Schobert LB
    35. Michael Pierce DL
    36. Logan Ryan CB
    37. Mike Daniels DL
    38. Trae Wayans CB
    39. Andrew Whitworth T
    40. Brian Pool CB
    41. Jason Peters LT
    42. Shelby Harris DL
    43. Jamie Collins LB
    44. Karl Joseph S
    45. DJ Humphries T
    46. Robert Quinn Edge
    47. Kendall Fuller CB
    48. Larry Fitzgerald WR
    49. Jarran Reed LB
    50. Blake Martinez LB

So Drake doesn't even make the list.

There is no way that Humphries should be paid more than Castonzo

Dback Jon, GatorAZ, daves and 2 others like this.
  2. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

45. T D.J. Humphries
    Humphries battled injuries early in his career, only flashing the ability that made him a 2015 first-rounder, but he is coming off his best effort as a pass blocker. He gave up only 30 pressures on 677 attempts in 2019, just two more pressures than he allowed in 2018 on 335 fewer opportunities. It was Humphries' first season grading below 72.0 in the run game, but he could be the classic “late bloomer” along the offensive line as he heads into his age-26 season.

3. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

I believe that much of the progress DJ made has to be credited to Kugler. Being only 26, I think that he may be too young to let escape. I'm sure that Sean will advise Keim as to what potential he thinks DJ has. If Kugler thinks that DJ has just begun to scrape the surface, then you absolutely tag him or extend him. The kid was a raw 1st round pick who finally has a real OL coach teaching him. Keim needs to lean on Kugler for advice on this one.

4. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

That list just shows why Harry is right that free agency needs to be defense. Big talent everywhere.

5. BritCard

BritCard Registered

When you want to sign your 26 year old LT to a $14m extension and he is ranked lower than 37 year Jason Peters and 37 year old Andrew Whitworth in best free agents available....

Cardsfaninlouky and Goldfield like this.
  6. PACardsFan

I understand your reasoning, but his young age may be exactly why he's ranked lower. He was raw coming out of college & until this season, our OL coaching sucked a$$. Under Kugler, what will he be at 27 or 28? Maybe we've only seen the tip of the iceberg? Let Kugler advise Keim on this. After the progress our OL made with below average talent, Kugler has earned the right to do just that.

BritCard and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  7. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

It's really easy to say let Kugler advise Keim...but what evidence do we have that will actually happen? Keim "knows offensive lineman" and will decide what to do on his own. My bet is he will sign DJ to a very overpriced contract, simply because it avoids change and "locks up" a position for the next few years. The problem is, it will limit what we can do elsewhere and if DJ either doesn't improve or gets injured, we will be paying top 5 LT money for a bottom 5 LT....not the way you want to run a team.

If Kugler comes out and says..."DJ is the guy, he is the best option at LT, and I think he is going to keep getting better and better"...then sign him tomorrow! If Keim says it...I do not have nearly the same confidence.

Costanzo is 31. If we are going to give someone a 4 year/60 million dollar deal...I would rather give it to him! He is already much better than DJ, and even if he regresses by age 34-35, he will probably still be better than DJ

8. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Leonard Williams is way too high.

Krangthebrain and BritCard like this.
  9. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

Is DJ a top 5 LT, no. Is he top 10? Debatable.

Throw in the fact that if you let him go, you will have to spend another high draft pick to replace him or spend just as much on a different tackle to replace. Why do that? Why change the continuity we started to build with the second half of the season?

I truly don't understand why trading one good LT for another (FA) or drafting a tackle high in the draft to replace DJ is a thought process we should be having with so many holes in our team. If we let him go without any compensation....

At least I understand why people don't think it is right to pay Fitz the money he makes. This one truly makes no sense. DJ allowed what, 1 sack all year?

10. PACardsFan

You have no idea how Keim would handle this internally. None! Over many years, I've worked at various Management levels. If I had an Assistant that proved their worth, I absolutely weighed their advice heavily. I seriously doubt that Keim won't do the same. If Kugler/Keim think that DJ is the guy, then I agree with you & we should extend him. As far as Costanzo is concerned, I'm ok with anyone who's last name ends in a vowel.:D

bg7brd likes this.
  11. football karma

I think it means that sometimes a team is better off signing nobody

12. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

Im basing it off the fact that Keim has said numerous times that O-Line is his specialty, even though he doesn't have a great track record in bringing in lineman.

We have a GM on the hot seat, and one of the most respected O-Line coaches in the NFL. If Kugler says DJ is the guy, I go with it...Keim's opinion means little to me at this point.

If your Keim, and Kugler gives DJ his endorsement, why not do it publicly and let that info get to the media? It takes the pressure off you, as you can simply say Kugler wanted DJ, gave him his full support, and so I made it happen with a new contract. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it would sure make me feel better. Even if it's just optics, I would sure love to hear Kugler's opinions on who to bring back and who to sign. If he told me Toth could be as good or better as a LT next year, I would let DJ walk and roll with it...just saying.

13. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

yeah but he has upside. they dont.

14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

He's been in the league 5 years. You would think he would have dusted his upside off by now and brought it out to show us. The year he played a full season, and a contract year, his is worst graded season in the league per PFF. That's when he's supposed to show his upside.

TheCardFan likes this.
  15. football karma

yes, but...

OTs can be slow to develop. Eric Fischer, Jake Matthews are two where over five years they went from "draft bust" to "ok" to "pretty good".

while I like PFF, its not foolproof -- and Humphries being worse this year vs prior doesn't pass the eye test.