300 (Frank Miller)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i know it's based on a comic book, which i've never read, but maybe i'd have some issues with that as well - i dunno

it was OK - fairly entertaining, but all in all seemed very forced with nothing that stood out and the repitition of slow motion, cheesey line, slow motion, grandiose speech, slow motion, creepy dude hunched over with boils, slow motions, cheesey line, slow motion and then more slobby characters with flipper arms just seemed very forced to me

i know i'm in the minority here - but just my feelings

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i know it's based on a comic book, which i've never read, but maybe i'd have some issues with that as well - i dunno

it was OK - fairly entertaining, but all in all seemed very forced with nothing that stood out and the repitition of slow motion, cheesey line, slow motion, grandiose speech, slow motion, creepy dude hunched over with boils, slow motions, cheesey line, slow motion and then more slobby characters with flipper arms just seemed very forced to me

i know i'm in the minority here - but just my feelings

No, I think a lot of people would agree with you. I for one thought the movie was all style and absolutely no substance. It looked great and the battle scenes were awesome (and unrealistic), but there was no real character work done--unfortunately the filmmakers decided to put all their money into the look of the film.

But for this kind of movie, it works.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No, I think a lot of people would agree with you. I for one thought the movie was all style and absolutely no substance. It looked great and the battle scenes were awesome (and unrealistic), but there was no real character work done--unfortunately the filmmakers decided to put all their money into the look of the film.

Exactly. I mean, I absolutely loved the movie, but I'm not going to pretend it was about in-depth characters. They were absolutely archetype characters, but I felt they used those archetypes to create a fun, visual feast type of movie.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have to agree. I didn't even bother watching the end of the movie.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Because only Spartan women give birth to real men.

Tonight we dine in hell.

So we will fight in the dark.

Or when he was asking the Athenians about their professions when they said he brought a tiny army.

----All awesome.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Rewatched this one recently for the first time. Still a fun flick. This is a good thread to read through as well.

There hasn't been a good historical battle movie in a long time. Gladiator was 20 years ago and Braveheart was 25.