Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller's 300 Headed to the Big Screen
Source: Variety
August 16, 2005

Warner Bros. Pictures is set to return to ancient Greece and make war epic 300, based on Frank Miller's graphic novel of the same name. Variety says the film will be directed by Zach Snyder and produced by Hollywood Gang Productions and Atmosphere Pictures MM.

Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life) has been signed to star. Production will begin October 17 in Montreal.

The film tells the true story of 300 elite Spartan fighters who, led by King Leonidas (Butler), fought to the death against King Xerxes' massive Persian army during the battle of Thermopylae in 481-480 B.C. According to lore, their valor inspired all of Greece to rise up against the invading Persians, planting the seeds of democracy.

Snyder (Dawn of the Dead) and his writing partner, Kurt Johnstad, adapted the screenplay from Miller's graphic novel. Michael Gordon wrote a previous draft.

The studio said 300 will rely on hyper-real renderings similar to the stylized illustrations created by Miller for his book.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 377

Brown_Blood

Seven.
Reaction score
This was also the subject of the book "Gates of Fire"? by Steven Pressfield

Excellent book! :thumbup:

Reaction score
I saw a movie on this (Three Hundred Spartans - I think it was called) over 35 years ago. It was just awesome. I have never seen the movie since that time but I still think about. WOW!!!

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Brown_Blood said:
This was also the subject of the book "Gates of Fire"? by Steven Pressfield

Excellent book! :thumbup:

Yeah it was! I guess George Clooney's company has the rights to those movie rights so I guess w/ this coming out we may see another infamous Hollywood showdown (Armaggedon/Deep Impact, Volcano/Dante's Peak).

I'll have to check this graphic novel out. Wasn't even aware it existed.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
300 Spartans was an awesome movie!!!

The spartans were able to kill off like 5-6000 persians before the were betrayed.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Gets Set for $60M 300
Source: Variety
October 9, 2005

Variety reports that Warner Bros. will start production on director Zach Snyder's $60 million-budgeted 300 on October 17 in Montreal. The adaptation of the Frank Miller graphic novel, starring Gerard Butler, will be shot almost entirely in front of green screen, much like how Robert Rodriguez and Miller shot Sin City:

Studio is backing the bigscreen adaptation of Miller's hyper-stylized graphic novel "300," a ferocious, spear-splashed retelling of the Battle of Thermopylae, where King Leonidas and 300 Spartans fought to the death against an overwhelming force of invading Persians, sowing the seeds of democracy.

Studio says it's going to remain true to Miller's dark and violent renderings in bringing the book to life, just as Dimension did with "Sin City"; that virtually guarantees an R rating.

"Zach Snyder takes the sandals out of the movie completely, so to speak. It's not going to feel like anything before," says Atmosphere Pictures' Mark Canton, who is producing the movie with Hollywood Gang Prods.' Gianni Nunnari, along with Bernie Goldmann and Jeffrey Silver.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Official 300 Trailer Hits
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures
October 4, 2006

Warner Bros. Pictures has launched the official trailer for director Zack Snyder's 300 at Apple, where you can watch the clip in various QuickTime formats.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/

Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy.

The film, opening March 9, brings Miller's (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it looks really amazing--such a cool filtering and effect process they used. Unfortunately, the B-Movie cast might make this film all substance and no depth. We'll have to see.

And the Director has done just one other movie (the Dawn of the Dead remake). Oh, and Michael Jordan's Playground...

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I think it looks really amazing--such a cool filtering and effect process they used. Unfortunately, the B-Movie cast might make this film all substance and no depth. We'll have to see.

And the Director has done just one other movie (the Dawn of the Dead remake). Oh, and Michael Jordan's Playground...

It almost had an animated feel to it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It almost had an animated feel to it.
It's interesting to see different takes on how to bring Frank Miller's visions to the big screen.

Sin City was the most faithful I've seen, but this looks like a nice compromise between being completely faithful and being digestible for the masses.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I loved Gates of Fire, I hadn't heard of Frank Millers version of the same story.

I'm really looking forward to this story.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Wow, sorry. I searched for 300 too...

Anyway, about the movie. As a Persian it's really annoying that they keep making movies on them losing, but this movie just looks so good I have to see it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Anyway, about the movie. As a Persian it's really annoying that they keep making movies on them losing, but this movie just looks so good I have to see it.

Well, as far as this one, ya gotta admit, it was one heck of an epic defeat for the Persians, and Thermopylae (sp?) makes for a great story.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score

You didn't loose persay... The Spartans delayed you and eventually you lost but you did win this battle while taking massive casualties!

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
You didn't loose persay... The Spartans delayed you and eventually you lost but you did win this battle while taking massive casualties!
I just learned about it a little more today in class. So the Spartans had a traitor and the Persians did end up killing these 300 Spartans. Interesting stuff.