OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank, Juza! Yeah, I could see the Redskins at #5 taking Dupree ahead of Beasley, Ray and Gregory. They like size on the edge, a la Ryan Kerrigan.

But I have the Redskins taking Mariota, which I think will happen if some team doesn't trump in ahead of them via a trade.

u are welcome :D
when u have time tell me who u like of cb class
and your opinion about demorious randall
thank u

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Maybe Jax will take Fowler. I texted today asking if he was a fan of Fowler yet? His response was, maybe.

Which I took to mean if they decide to take him, he'll be fan, but probably isn't right now.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
but dupree had like more then 70 tackles,his primary role was just not attacking the qb..a guy who has talent and could fit well with arizona defense is frank clark,a 3th round pick

I hear what you're saying, but asking a guy to do something he hasn't done on a higher level has to be a concern.

Remember how everyone went gaga over that Wake Forest kid the Hawks drafted & the Fins Jordan. They turned out to be nice players. ;)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
u are welcome :D
when u have time tell me who u like of cb class
and your opinion about demorious randall
thank u

Funny you should ask about Damarious Randall. I thought long and hard about the Cardinals taking him at #55 because I know that they like Randall's cover ability so much that they view him as a CB, the way they viewed Cromartie---that if need be he can cover TEs.

When I first saw Todd McShay mock CB Kevin Johnson at #24, I was kind of surprised just to see a CB in round 1. But---Johnson fits BA's description of tall CBs with speed that the Cardinals are looking for. But then again, Justin Bethel is the same size and is just as speedy.

In round 2 I gave extra thought to CB/S Quinten Rollins---size is there---not blazing speed---but cat-quick reactions to the ball and great hands.

In the 3rd round I thought long and hard about CB Senquez Golson, who does not fit the profile because he is a small CB, but man can this kid get after it.

There just aren't that many tall speedy CBs in this draft aside from Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson, Jalen Collins, P.J. Williams and Josh Shaw. Of those 6, 3 have red flags (Peters, Williams and Shaw)---Waynes should be long gone by #24 and I don't know about you but watching tape of Jalen Collins did not impress me enough to consider him a 1st or 2nd round CB---which means the best choice of all is Kevin Johnson (the most natural cover CB in the draft, imo---and he's not afraid to make a stick either)---and/or Quinten Rollins (who has played only one year of college football, although it was a dominant performance capped off by a great week at the Senior Bowl).

All this said---if I were coaching the Cardinals' defense, I would start the Honey Badger at RCB (best pure cover technique on the team and one of the surest tacklers---and then move him around at times in the nickel and dime packages and put Justin Bethel out at CB). All of this works if James Bettcher can get Deone Bucannon to apply good coverage on TEs. Another S on the roster who can cover TEs is Chris Clemons. And Tony Jefferson was making strides last year as well.

So---i don't see CB as a top 3 pick in this draft priority. I think drafting one in rounds 4-6 makes better sense.

What do you think?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch-

You are a very creative guy. Always in interesting read. Thanks.

Thanks Vermont! I can say the same about you and your posts---always interesting reads from a very creative guy.

That said, who would pick if the draft shakes out this way?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny you should ask about Damarious Randall. I thought long and hard about the Cardinals taking him at #55 because I know that they like Randall's cover ability so much that they view him as a CB, the way they viewed Cromartie---that if need be he can cover TEs.

When I first saw Todd McShay mock CB Kevin Johnson at #24, I was kind of surprised just to see a CB in round 1. But---Johnson fits BA's description of tall CBs with speed that the Cardinals are looking for. But then again, Justin Bethel is the same size and is just as speedy.

In round 2 I gave extra thought to CB/S Quinten Rollins---size is there---not blazing speed---but cat-quick reactions to the ball and great hands.

In the 3rd round I thought long and hard about CB Senquez Golson, who does not fit the profile because he is a small CB, but man can this kid get after it.

There just aren't that many tall speedy CBs in this draft aside from Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, Kevin Johnson, Jalen Collins, P.J. Williams and Josh Shaw. Of those 6, 3 have red flags (Peters, Williams and Shaw)---Waynes should be long gone by #24 and I don't know about you but watching tape of Jalen Collins did not impress me enough to consider him a 1st or 2nd round CB---which means the best choice of all is Kevin Johnson (the most natural cover CB in the draft, imo---and he's not afraid to make a stick either)---and/or Quinten Rollins (who has played only one year of college football, although it was a dominant performance capped off by a great week at the Senior Bowl).

All this said---if I were coaching the Cardinals' defense, I would start the Honey Badger at RCB (best pure cover technique on the team and one of the surest tacklers---and then move him around at times in the nickel and dime packages and put Justin Bethel out at CB). All of this works if James Bettcher can get Deone Bucannon to apply good coverage on TEs. Another S on the roster who can cover TEs is Chris Clemons. And Tony Jefferson was making strides last year as well.

So---i don't see CB as a top 3 pick in this draft priority. I think drafting one in rounds 4-6 makes better sense.

What do you think?

yes i m agree with u.kevn johnson best option ..u didnt mention darby,u think is not in our board

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
yes i m agree with u.kevn johnson best option ..u didnt mention darby,u think is not in our board

Luv Johnson as well. I wouldn't be pissed at all if we drafted him at #24 though I prefer other guys.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Johnson in round 1 at all. Him being projected in round 1 is the product of a bad overall CB class. I like him as a player but can't see spending a 1st rounder on him. Would love him in round 2 or in a trade back scenario.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Darby is imo a 3rd-4th round pick (he's got good speed, but he's not very physical, nor is he a good tackler)---the thing is---he probably would play much the first year and we need to draft at least three immediate contributors.

I do not think that BA had Darby in mind when he talked about big, speedy cover CBs. Do you?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Johnson in round 1 at all. Him being projected in round 1 is the product of a bad overall CB class. I like him as a player but can't see spending a 1st rounder on him. Would love him in round 2 or in a trade back scenario.

I think Kevin Johnson is most NFL ready CB in the draft, even more so than Trae Waynes (who I think is very over-rated). It wouldn't surprise me if KJ is the first CB taken, depending on the team and the system. Marcus Peters is the most talented and the most physical, but he's a head case (I bet BA&SK scratched him off their board).

That said---and to agree with your point about this CB class---would KJ be the BPA @ #24? Highly unlikely, imo.

Would he be the best player #24 for the Cardinals? No, imo.

I think the Cardinals really want to find a way to draft Damarious Randall (in Round 2 or 3), whom they project as a cover CB/S, especially on TEs and taller WRs.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ton of work put into this for sure Mitch, I did chuckle several times at the comments in rd1.

Props for not taking a WR for the Cards in the first 3 rds. :)

I would be happy with this draft,

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only complaint is that the funny quips stop after round one!

Mitch, please consider extending those quips to a 7-round mock. Including supplemental picks.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Andrus Peat anywhere in your top 3 rounds?

If he is there in the second, Cards should take him.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Vermont! I can say the same about you and your posts---always interesting reads from a very creative guy.

That said, who would pick if the draft shakes out this way?

I like the picks you made for the Cards. I would take Ray there. I think we like edge guys that are a little bigger, but you have to take him. If the injury is really a concern, however, Erving would also be a viable pick at that point. The line would be a strength. On paper at least.

In the second, Ajayi or Tevin Coleman would fit nicely. I would wonder about Jalen Collins there. Character is of big importance to Kiem, but you might have to take a shot there. The secondary could wear LSU jerseys.

In the third, I see you have stuck with your BC roots. I think I would take Dawson or Kikaha at that point.

Do you also follow BC hockey? They are always so good. My alma mater, UVM took them out this year in the hockey east playoffs. That was big for us.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
After looking at a wide number of mock drafts, it seems like Dupree, Gregory and Ray are interchangeable as the 5th OLB to get drafted. They all have various reasons they might possibly fall to Arizona but ultimately they are all likely to be gone before 24.

Of those 3, is Ray your preferred choice for AZ or is he simply the one you think is most likely to fall?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
No Andrus Peat anywhere in your top 3 rounds?

If he is there in the second, Cards should take him.

Thanks for noticing this, Jon. What happened was I had him going to the Rams at #10, but changed it to Clemmings and forgot to add peat back to my board. Clearly, Peat will be a 1st or 2nd round pick, and a real good one at that.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
After looking at a wide number of mock drafts, it seems like Dupree, Gregory and Ray are interchangeable as the 5th OLB to get drafted. They all have various reasons they might possibly fall to Arizona but ultimately they are all likely to be gone before 24.

Of those 3, is Ray your preferred choice for AZ or is he simply the one you think is most likely to fall?

As I was writing up this mock, the report of Ray's toe injury was making news, so I thought that he could slide because of it.

Since then, Bill Poilian (ex GM and ESPN analyst) has compared Ray to Robert Mathis. With that stellar endorsement and the series of good interviews Ray did at ESPN, I think he's back to being a Top 10 pick.

Should I do a revised mock?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I was writing up this mock, the report of Ray's toe injury was making news, so I thought that he could slide because of it.

Since then, Bill Poilian (ex GM and ESPN analyst) has compared Ray to Robert Mathis. With that stellar endorsement and the series of good interviews Ray did at ESPN, I think he's back to being a Top 10 pick.

no mitch is a good mock...the other de/olb played already stand up,ray was justa true DE,but he is undersize,he didnt show great athletic ability in 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle,there is learning curve to play olb for a DE,there is chance he can slide,difficult but not impossible;)

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

I don't think that's really necessary. It's certainly within the realm of possibility for one of the OLBs to slide to 24. All the guys in the 10-25 range are comparable talents. I think there will be a few surprises this year after some trades happen which could easily let someone slip through.

For instance, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like Dallas trade up for a RB, or on the flip side they may trade their pick to the Vikings for Peterson and then Minnesota moves around to get Gurley or Gordon.

I'm still not convinced the Eagles won't try to make a play for Mariota. I know Whiz hates young QBs and Chip Kelly has already made some big moves. Is a 3 way trade where Rivers ends up in Tenneesee, #2 ends up in Philly and Bradford ends up in SD along with a bounty of draft picks impossible? A year ago I'd have said so, but Kelly has already proven this offseason he's willing to make big moves.

I don't think I've ever had less of a feel for how the first round is going to play out beyond the #1 pick then I do this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose