21-22 College Basketball Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaime Jaquez Jr confirms rumors he's coming back to UCLA. Sister Gabby will be a freshman on the UCLA womens team so we were all pretty sure this was going to happen very close family.

Apparently Koloko from Arizona is leaving, Mathurin already announced he is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny Juzang declares for the draft. Virtually everyone thinks this means he is locked into the draft won't come back regardless of draft position. Good luck past year didn't pan out as expected between him getting Covid, the scooter injury and then the ankle. Not sure how he fits the NBA not a great athlete not a knockdown 3 point shooter(shot is too flat). I think he'll make a ton of money playing overseas though if he can't get an NBA spot

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can't put it back in Pandoras box now. I like the idea of NIL but they should have anticipated schools having donors who were very wealthy and had no scruples.

Miami donor John ruiz is literally paying out millions in NIL's to get players and transfers. So much so that incumbent guard Isiah Wong, through an agent, announced he would put his name in the transfer portal if his NIL wasn't increased by today.

And Ruiz announced online no, he's under contract, I don't renegotiate. If he's not happy with the contract he signed he should look for more NIL money either from other Miami folks or somewhere else.

Several recent recruitments became NIL bidding wars, Kentucky got the POY back by getting him like 800K in NIL money.

I don't begrudge the money to the kids but the NCAA opened the floodgates here

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They can't put it back in Pandoras box now. I like the idea of NIL but they should have anticipated schools having donors who were very wealthy and had no scruples.

Miami donor John ruiz is literally paying out millions in NIL's to get players and transfers. So much so that incumbent guard Isiah Wong, through an agent, announced he would put his name in the transfer portal if his NIL wasn't increased by today.

And Ruiz announced online no, he's under contract, I don't renegotiate. If he's not happy with the contract he signed he should look for more NIL money either from other Miami folks or somewhere else.

Several recent recruitments became NIL bidding wars, Kentucky got the POY back by getting him like 800K in NIL money.

I don't begrudge the money to the kids but the NCAA opened the floodgates here
So are NIL's binding contracts? If so the kid is screwed and must honor his commitment. Kids should just go to G League and stop the school charade.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are NIL's binding contracts? If so the kid is screwed and must honor his commitment. Kids should just go to G League and stop the school charade.

I don't know if they are or not but Ruiz was saying I'm not going to up Wong's NIL he signed a contract.

Miami and Ruiz are doing this but the whole SEC etc is going in hard on this too. UCLA's 247 site pissed off Arizona fans by reporting that they signed a kid after boosters ponied up more in NIL money but it wasn't an allegation it was true, it's what everyone is doing. UCLA has started a similar program as has just about everyone else.

Several high profile coaches and AD's are on record saying this is exactly what we did NOT want to happen. The NCAA assumed they could trust programs to not do this and now it's just a pay for play situation.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now the Duke & Kentucky's of the world can come out of the shadows and operate business as usual without worrying about NCAA sanctions. Prepare for even greater parity in college sports.

Related in a way, Jordan Addison the 2021 Bilentnikoff Award winner transferring to USC after agreeing to a $3M NIL deal with the school. Dude is winning at life, making $3M this year to play in Hollywood and will cash in 2023 NFL Draft as a potential Top 10 pick if he stays healthy and behaves himself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave