2023 Western Conference Finals - Nuggets vs Lakers

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure but both games were winnable for the Lakers on the road. It won't surprise me at all if it's 2-2 when we get back to Denver.

But as I said last night I'm now rooting for Denver, all the Lakers flopping is driving me nuts
I won't be surprised either. Denver could have a couple of clunkers. But, the Suns made it 2-2 with out-of-this world performances by Booker and big games from Durant. The Lakers don't have two players that good.

I think it will be 3-1 after LA. Over in 5. Let's see.

djm75

Rookie
Reaction score
You guys talk about LA flopping, but I’d say overall the calls in this game were very much in favor of Denver.

Davis getting 2 points waived off as a “ball over the cylinder” when it was not.

Porter using Reaves as a stepladder, not getting a charge but Reaves called for a block.

Murray taking 3 steps on a hand-off from Jokic and hitting a 3. And he takes 3 steps all the time on those handoffs.

Jokic doing his chicken wing push-offs - ignored by the refs.

Jokic parked in the paint for 7 seconds on both ends of the floor - ignored by the refs.

And no, I’m not a Lakers fan.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am completely shocked the Lakers are even keeping these games close.

Just goes to show how important matchups are I guess.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You guys talk about LA flopping, but I’d say overall the calls in this game were very much in favor of Denver.

Davis getting 2 points waived off as a “ball over the cylinder” when it was not.

Porter using Reaves as a stepladder, not getting a charge but Reaves called for a block.

Murray taking 3 steps on a hand-off from Jokic and hitting a 3. And he takes 3 steps all the time on those handoffs.

Jokic parked in the paint for 7 seconds on both ends of the floor - ignored by the refs.

The three steps by Murray after receiving the pass is very real

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Refs weren’t good last night but it was on both sides. There was a deflection in the first half that was clearly off LeBron that they gave to LA.

The Reaves play, he was moving and the refs are going to call that a block. It was bang-bang but I didn’t hate that call.

Jokic does play a lot of bully ball and initiates contact.

I’m not a fan of the rip-through move. DLo and Schroeder do it A LOT. But defenders have to be smart and not reach because offensive players will sell the contact.

Did you have an issue with the flagrant on DLo but the non flagrant on Brown when he hit Rui in the head? Officiating wasn’t great like you said but LA attempted 8 more ft’s than Denver, with 6 coming at the end when Jamal kept getting fouled.

djm75

Rookie
Reaction score
Did you have an issue with the flagrant on DLo but the non flagrant on Brown when he hit Rui in the head?
Oh yes, forgot it somehow. It should be either both flagrants or neither. Personally I lean towards neither.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was absolutely not.
I thought he was moving also. I know you don't have to be completely immobile to draw a charge. But that is a typical call that goes either way. And it is not a horrible call either way.

djm75

Rookie
Reaction score
I thought he was moving also. I know you don't have to be completely immobile to draw a charge. But that is a typical call that goes either way. And it is not a horrible call either way.
Just rewatched it, both at normal speed and in slow mo. If that’s not a charge then I don’t know what is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is the play in question, Reaves may have slid his left foot over at the last second.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is the play in question, Reaves may have slid his left foot over at the last second.

That is a tough one. If it was in LA, I bet that is a charge

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you are right. The late movement of the left foot is probably what caught the eye of the referee.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More often than not LA probably gets that call wherever they're playing. But IMO, it's the right call as the offensive player leaned to the right at the last moment to keep Porter from sailing by him without contact. I'm impressed the refs caught it in real time. I had to watch it several times to reach that conclusion as the shift was very minor - but so was the contact.

And although I believe it was called rightly, I'm sure others could watch the same video and call it the other way. Which means it's absurd to point to that one and say "see, here's proof Denver was getting all the calls". If there aren't 20 worse referee decisions in any basketball game, the game was likely stopped in the first half because the roof caved in.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just rewatched it, both at normal speed and in slow mo. If that’s not a charge then I don’t know what is.
Okay. I don't really care that much about it. It was the "Charge from Hell"!!!!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
More often than not LA probably gets that call wherever they're playing. But IMO, it's the right call as the offensive player leaned to the right at the last moment to keep Porter from sailing by him without contact. I'm impressed the refs caught it in real time. I had to watch it several times to reach that conclusion as the shift was very minor - but so was the contact.

And although I believe it was called rightly, I'm sure others could watch the same video and call it the other way. Which means it's absurd to point to that one and say "see, here's proof Denver was getting all the calls". If there aren't 20 worse referee decisions in any basketball game, the game was likely stopped in the first half because the roof caved in.
Yeah he definitely moved at the last second. The behind the basket view showed that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That is silly. I hate the lakers but that is a textbook charge. You don't have to be a statue. NBA refs are just horrible. They are really causing me to lose interest in the game. You really have to question their integrity with some of this. The hey are more like pro wrestling refs than anything.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is silly. I hate the lakers but that is a textbook charge. You don't have to be a statue. NBA refs are just horrible. They are really causing me to lose interest in the game. You really have to question their integrity with some of this. The hey are more like pro wrestling refs than anything.
Think for a second.....you are saying the refs/league are more biased to the Nuggets over the Lakers (since you question their integrity).

Do you really think the bias is for Denver-Miami over LA-Boston????? The Lakers-Celts would probably get almost double the ratings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot of charge/block calls seem to go both ways if they are close. It's hard to predict.

When both players are moving it's tougher still such as when the offensive player runs over a defensive player.

The defender standing on his tippy-toes sliding his left foot over at the last second doesn't help. I don't disagree with the call but a no-call might have been better.

I'm more used to a charge being taken squarely by a defender with his feet planted being called a charge.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think for a second.....you are saying the refs/league are more biased to the Nuggets over the Lakers (since you question their integrity).

Do you really think the bias is for Denver-Miami over LA-Boston????? The Lakers-Celts would probably get almost double the ratings.
I think they are biased toward offensive players. Its not about team.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh yes, forgot it somehow. It should be either both flagrants or neither. Personally I lean towards neither.
How about when Schroeder had the ball turned and was complaint to the refs and carried it six steps without dribbling right in front of the ref as he was talking to him? Should have been a travel and a damn T! The Lakers get more than their share of calls get serious they have a ton more FTs in every game against almost anyone, and as someone else said the numbers are even worse than they look as the Lakers intentionally fouling at the end was a lot of the Nugs FTs! No one except a lakers fan would even think about complaining about officials in this series! The Nugz are overcoming and out scoring the lakers and the refs in most every game!

djm75

Rookie
Reaction score
How about when Schroeder had the ball turned and was complaint to the refs and carried it six steps without dribbling right in front of the ref as he was talking to him? Should have been a travel and a damn T!
Yes, it was a blatant travel ignored by the refs. But you do realize that this episode was in the game that was next to the one I was posting about, don’t you? And just lol at you thinking I’m a Lakers fan.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers got swept by a team we beat twice and I'm guessing they won't fire their coach
I don't think you get fired when you coach a team that was 2-10 to start the season and you end up losing in the WCF.

No shame in being a 7-seed who lost to the top team in the West all season.

The Lakers got swept but all of the games were pretty close. We lost by an average of 6 points a game (by 6, 5, 11, and 2). Suns lost to Denver at an average of 17.25 points a game (by 18, 10, 16, and 25).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose