2023 5th round pick #139 is Clayton Tune QB

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confusing pick when DTR felt like a much better match.

DTR is just a runner he's extremely careless throwing the ball. His senior year he dumped the ball off a ton so he had a high % but in big games he could be absolutely terrible and extremely turnover prone

One of the UCLA guys I talk to regularly about basketball said scouts have been telling DTR if he wants to play QB it probably won't be in the NFL, he should consider switching positions if he wants to play in the NFL.

Tough kid took a ton of big hits in college but I was not high on him as a QB in the NFL

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
DTR is just a runner he's extremely careless throwing the ball. His senior year he dumped the ball off a ton so he had a high % but in big games he could be absolutely terrible and extremely turnover prone

One of the UCLA guys I talk to regularly about basketball said scouts have been telling DTR if he wants to play QB it probably won't be in the NFL, he should consider switching positions if he wants to play in the NFL.

Tough kid took a ton of big hits in college but I was not high on him as a QB in the NFL
Tune is definitely a better passing QB than DTR there’s no comparison. Tune will likely have a long NFL career. Now whether it’s as a starter or a journeyman only time will tell

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve been burnt too many times, I trust in no one until earned.

When my daughter was in her worthless years she asked me if I trusted her. I said list 5 reasons why I should. She said because I’m your daughter. I laughed out loud and left the room:)

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I’ve been burnt too many times, I trust in no one until earned.

When my daughter was in her worthless years she asked me if I trusted her. I said list 5 reasons why I should. She said because I’m your daughter. I laughed out loud and left the room:)
I have a daughter… please oh please tell me the worthless years include 9 years old!!!

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Grade Analysis
Sleeper QB prospect. Decent not amazing arm talent but will have a few highlight reel throws every game. Plus athlete who was successful in the designed run game in college and could be a weapon with his legs at the next level. Accuracy is inconsistent and pocket presence needs work. (Chris Trapasso)
Draft Scouting Report:
Rating:
73.40 (Chance to start)
Pro Comparison: Marcus Mariota
Summary:
Clayton Tune is an experienced pocket passer with quality skill set across the board and quality athleticism. He doesn't quite play to the athleticism he demonstrated at the combine but has plenty of impressive, balanced, decently explosive designed runs and scrambles on film -- very useful as extra element to the offense and when ad-libbing. Arm is good for NFL standards, not great and surprisingly not much arm talent. If he's on the run or off base in the pocket, his arm strength dips below normal pro standards. His downfield touch needs work, as does his overall pocket presence, although in the latter area he has rare flashes of awesome pocket drifting. He showed ability to move defenders with his eyes but not consistent in that area. He has the propensity to rip it through tight windows at intermediate level. He has lots of high-caliber, challenging throws on film and can throw with precision with anticipation. Sleeper prospect.
Strengths:
  • Quality size with legitimate high-caliber athleticism
  • Plenty of big-time throws on film
  • Unafraid to zing the ball through tight windows
Weaknesses:
  • Arm strength takes noticable dip when he's not standing in clean pocket
  • Pocket presence needs work
  • Some bad decisions on film, at times confused by coverages and will throw directly to a defender
Combine Results:
  • 40-Yard Dash: 4.64 seconds
  • Vertical: 37.5 inches
  • Broad Jump: 10 feet, 2 inches
2022 College Stats

GP​

PYDS​

PCT​

TDS​

INT​

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to throw this out there right now and it's just a gut feeling based on where Monti Ossenfort came from and his experience in his career.

Your 2025 starting QB for the Arizona Cardinals Clayton Tune.

It could even happen during the 2024 season. I just have this gut feeling that the offense is going to evolve into a classic NFL Offense with a traditional pocket passer who will stand in the pocket, take a hit, will have a good sense in the pocket, will be able to go through the progressions and can buy time in the pocket when there is pressure. I think Murray is gone after 2024.

Tune pretty much fits the role I'm suspecting will come about over the next two seasons. I think there is a long term plan by Ossenfort and it's going to be nothing like we have ever seen with this team from the Graves/Keim eras and going back even before them to the St. Louis days.

The biggest shock as far as QBs getting drafted, I was totally flabbergasted that Sean Clifford (Penn State) got drafted at all and Green Bay took him with a fifth round pick. I'm a PSU homer but I never would have thought that Clifford would be taken at all never mind that high in the draft.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This is my least favorite pick but TBH, I haven't watched him play.
I would have preferred another OL/DL or RB that might actually play this year.

Does this mean we will have 3 QB's on the active roster this year?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Long Tune thread

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is my least favorite pick but TBH, I haven't watched him play.
I would have preferred another OL/DL or RB that might actually play this year.

Does this mean we will have 3 QB's on the active roster this year?
based on last year we better have at least 3-5 who know the system:)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seems like a weird fit for a QB behind Kyler, but it's a 5th-round developmental QB. Why not?
I'd say he isn't. He was pretty much right behind Richardson in total athleticism, so he brings similar skills as Murray, only he is 6'3ish.

I just watched a multi-game mashup and I really like Tune. He's a real good runner and has a gunslinger mentality.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more highlights i watch the more i like this picks
His stats the last two season are impressive
Athleticism is off the charts
Don't know why he was so underrated

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member