2022 7th round pick C is Marquis Hayes G

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I liked him pre draft. The one game just confirmed what I already thought.

Is he going to forget how to do the things he did in game 1? No. So I'm confident in saying that from what I saw in college and what I saw in Game 1 that after a year of NFL training and coaching we have our LG for next year. I don't think that's a stretch at all.
Also have to take into consideration, was he facing starters? I like what I saw, but always take such limited data with a grain of salt.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked him pre draft. The one game just confirmed what I already thought.

Is he going to forget how to do the things he did in game 1? No. So I'm confident in saying that from what I saw in college and what I saw in Game 1 that after a year of NFL training and coaching we have our LG for next year. I don't think that's a stretch at all.
What I don't like is:

He plays pretty upright at times and he looks like quicker DTs might cause him fits.

But he does have long arms and he's the kind of guy that if he gets his hands on you, you're probably not getting away.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Way better than seeing these guys sucking in the second half of preseason games. As much as I really liked Hayes coming out, still a bit too early to be projecting him but a really nice start.
It's been exceedingly rare that we've seen a late drafted OL look like him and Smith did even in the preseason.

But I agree, the ghost of Brandon Keith makes me not get  too excited about late round guys. At one point, Keith looked like he was going to be a late round steak, dominating people in the preseason too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's been exceedingly rare that we've seen a late drafted OL look like him and Smith did even in the preseason.

But I agree, the ghost of Brandon Keith makes me not get  too excited about late round guys. At one point, Keith looked like he was going to be a late round steak, dominating people in the preseason too.

I do like steak though.

I think balance is required here. I like what I saw a lot for what he cost us. I'd have liked it had he been drafted in the 2nd. So to see it from a 7th looks like great value.

I'm especially surprised because a lot of people I respect had him 4th round latest.

Back in February after the college season was over I recall seeing a Bleacher Top 200 put together by Nate Tice, Brandon Thorn, Derrik Klassen, Cory Giddings and Brent Sobleski. Most those guys have specialties in different areas.

In their top 200 Marquis Hayes was 59th and Lecitus Smith was 60th. They were IOL4 and IOL5 respectively only behind Linderbaum, Johnson and Green. This was back before the draft season gets going when it's based on pure film. Then people start second guessing themselves based on interviews, measurables etc

I have high hopes for both those guys and think both were a steal.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
LOL autocorrect! I'm leaving it though because it's fitting...generally late round players are hamburger with added pink slime.
historically, good starting interior lineman are third round picks....just takes a few seasons to develop.

where we got these guys, if they can contribute in a positive way this season...thats a big win.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
historically, good starting interior lineman are third round picks....just takes a few seasons to develop.

where we got these guys, if they can contribute in a positive way this season...thats a big win.

You would hope both Hayes and Smith can fill the spots that Harlow and Murray would take. Although Murray might stick as he can play tackle too.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
See, you *are* already projecting the kid into a starter after one--count 'em one--preseason game.

I like what I did. I like that someone we drafted at all, let alone in the 7th round, showed out last weekend. I like that we have a young lineman with raw potential. If SK is already thinking like you are here, I wouldn't be surprised, but I would very much not like it lol
Hey I enjoyed the Rondale Moore > Jamar Chase takes last preseason. Enjoy the moment :cool:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You would hope both Hayes and Smith can fill the spots that Harlow and Murray would take. Although Murray might stick as he can play tackle too.
Id bet that Smith already has the C/G swing spot locked up. Harlow is undersized and while he had a good game or two, he didn't stack good games.

Best scenario would be for Miles to go and for Josh Jones to be the swing backup OT and Justin Murray to be the G/T swing back up. Stash Hayes for most of the year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Id bet that Smith already has the C/G swing spot locked up. Harlow is undersized and while he had a good game or two, he didn't stack good games.

Best scenario would be for Miles to go and for Josh Jones to be the swing backup OT and Justin Murray to be the G/T swing back up. Stash Hayes for most of the year.

Easier to stash Harlow on the PS too.

They normally keep 9. For me it would be,

Hump, Pugh, Hudson, Hernandez, Beachum, Jones, Smith, Hayes, Murray.

Harlow and Miles to the PS.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Harlow, I believe is like over 300 right now but for his frame he seems too tall and looks more like a TE than a C

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stout, if it makes you feel better, make Jones a starter and bring Beech off the bench. It's been a LONG time since Arizona had an OL of reserves, that combined experience and potential. The other Murray might beat out Miles, as well. National media will come around after the first part of the season, and this Board a little later.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose