2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herro's deal is $120 million guaranteed with another $10 million in incentives. He is the reigning Sixth Man of the Year but they overpaid. He's a good scorer but thats all he is. Miami must be thinking of the cap boom coming from the new TV deal because Pat Riley isn't known to overpay like that. Herro might have gotten a max offer in free agency but then they could match, so it does save them some but ultimately I'm surprised Herro's extension is considerably more than Mikal's. I'm not sure there's a GM out there that would part with Mikal for Herro.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Herro only got 3 million overall less than Ayton?

You should of signed Cam Johnson this offseason cause if he blows up as a starter no way are you going to be able to afford him

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're so lucky we signed Bridges last summer. If that is what Herro gets I guarantee Bridges would have gotten max money this year.

Also, given our cap situation I don't think the Durant pursuit cost us any real chances to upgrade via free agency... but it did cost us locking up Cam Johnson earlier. I bet 3 months ago they could have extended him for something like 4 years, 70-85 million. With him getting moved into the starting lineup he's going to have a chance to blow those numbers out of the water.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We're so lucky we signed Bridges last summer. If that is what Herro gets I guarantee Bridges would have gotten max money this year.

Also, given our cap situation I don't think the Durant pursuit cost us any real chances to upgrade via free agency... but it did cost us locking up Cam Johnson earlier. I bet 3 months ago they could have extended him for something like 4 years, 70-85 million. With him getting moved into the starting lineup he's going to have a chance to blow those numbers out of the water.
Not if he plays like he did last night against inferior competition.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not if he plays like he did last night against inferior competition.

As I've stated in other threads... I don't put any weight on preseason basketball. It is flat out hot garbage.

The Suns should try to lock up Cam before the year starts. The way his career is trending, the only way he doesn't get over 100 mil over 4 years is if he gets hurt. He is a phenomenal shooter and a solid outside defender.

If they can get him for less (and I think they could have gotten him for substantially less a few months ago) they should jump on it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really doubt the Suns will extend Cam. They should and I'd like them to lock him up but the turmoil with ownership makes it very unlikely. Teams don't generally add long term salary before they're sold. The Suns are in luxury tax territory as is, adding an extension for Cam J would lower whatever Sarver gets in return for the team and you know he's going to want go squeeze every penny possible out of a deal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Especially if he is going to play like he did last night.

He looked like an all-star for sure.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golden State Releases Mac McClung who averaged 13.4 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game on 45.6 percent shooting from the field and 50 percent from deep during the Summer League. Don't know much about him but lurking on the GS forums he was a fan favorite.

Kid has some hops.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith any insight on Mac McClung?

He's fun to watch but I think he's a 2 in a 1's body and that's probably what the Warriors decided.

Seems like a great kid I know the guys on the team loved him but if the goal is replace GP2, he's not the guy not good enough defensively and not big enough. My guess is DiVincenzo is the guy they think will get most of the GP2 minutes, and then hopefully the rookie Rollins grows into a similar role as he improves.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's fun to watch but I think he's a 2 in a 1's body and that's probably what the Warriors decided.

Seems like a great kid I know the guys on the team loved him but if the goal is replace GP2, he's not the guy not good enough defensively and not big enough. My guess is DiVincenzo is the guy they think will get most of the GP2 minutes, and then hopefully the rookie Rollins grows into a similar role as he improves.
Is he a good ball handler? If so, he could play the PG position in a backup role no?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he a good ball handler? If so, he could play the PG position in a backup role no?

He's an NBA level player yeah but the Warriors look for other things. With Curry and Draymond they have guys who can be the "PG". What they seem to covet off the bench is guys who can really defend multiple positions. GP2 isn't a PG and neither is DiVincenzo but they're both big enough and athletic enough and defend well enough, I don't think they think Mac can.

Rollins is 3 years younger and 2-3 inches taller.

And I hadn't even seen until now they also just signed ex Sun Ty Jerome another bigger guy who can handle the ball a bit although not the defender GP2(who is) or DD is.

I hope Mac gets a spot in the NBA I think he is an NBA player.

I was also surprised they cut Trevion Williams this quickly. I think given the health issues Wiseman's had in the past it would make some sense to keep a guy like Williams who has size and can be a backup post player if Wiseman gets hurt again.

Right now it looks like Moody is ready to take the next step up, they hope kuminga is and they hope wiseman is healthy and contributes and those 3 guys with DD will have to replace GP2 and hopefully Otto Porter who was absolutely huge last year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not an NBA player IMO. Has very little passing ability. He is basically just an undersized 2 guard who really is only good at driving to the basket, but because of his size limitation is not even great at that.

Put it this way, they cut him to sign Ty Jerome.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's an NBA level player yeah but the Warriors look for other things. With Curry and Draymond they have guys who can be the "PG". What they seem to covet off the bench is guys who can really defend multiple positions. GP2 isn't a PG and neither is DiVincenzo but they're both big enough and athletic enough and defend well enough, I don't think they think Mac can.

Rollins is 3 years younger and 2-3 inches taller.

And I hadn't even seen until now they also just signed ex Sun Ty Jerome another bigger guy who can handle the ball a bit although not the defender GP2(who is) or DD is.

I hope Mac gets a spot in the NBA I think he is an NBA player.

I was also surprised they cut Trevion Williams this quickly. I think given the health issues Wiseman's had in the past it would make some sense to keep a guy like Williams who has size and can be a backup post player if Wiseman gets hurt again.

Right now it looks like Moody is ready to take the next step up, they hope kuminga is and they hope wiseman is healthy and contributes and those 3 guys with DD will have to replace GP2 and hopefully Otto Porter who was absolutely huge last year.
You seem to indicate though he is a 2 in a PG body. Which means in the NBA he is not going to get a shot unless he plays PG. That's why I was asking.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to indicate though he is a 2 in a PG body. Which means in the NBA he is not going to get a shot unless he plays PG. That's why I was asking.

Well if the team is looking for an OFFENSIVE PG he will, if they're looking for a defender, like teh Warriors are, he won't is my guess

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if the team is looking for an OFFENSIVE PG he will, if they're looking for a defender, like teh Warriors are, he won't is my guess

McClung would be a nice player to have on a two-way contract. Unfortunately, the Suns do not have a two-way spot open.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully if there is a race to the bottom, the Suns can find some trades.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s not an nba player. I’ve watched a TON of mac going back to high school bc he was such a heralded recruit for my Hoyas. He’s talented but it’s sort of an outta control talent. If he’s allowed to just score he can do it, although I’m skeptical how efficiently at the nba level. He’s a poor passer. Telegraphs passes. Also consistently dribbles himself into poor position. Streaky shooter at best. But the worst part of his game is his lack of discipline when combined with his game speed makes him play out of sync with his teammates. It’s difficult to describe, but he always looks like he’s close to, or outta, control compared to his teammates. And not in an Allen iverson is faster than all his teammates kinda way. More in a he seems unnaturally and unnecessarily sped up compared his teammates.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He’s not an nba player. I’ve watched a TON of mac going back to high school bc he was such a heralded recruit for my Hoyas. He’s talented but it’s sort of an outta control talent. If he’s allowed to just score he can do it, although I’m skeptical how efficiently at the nba level. He’s a poor passer. Telegraphs passes. Also consistently dribbles himself into poor position. Streaky shooter at best. But the worst part of his game is his lack of discipline when combined with his game speed makes him play out of sync with his teammates. It’s difficult to describe, but he always looks like he’s close to, or outta, control compared to his teammates. And not in an Allen iverson is faster than all his teammates kinda way. More in a he seems unnaturally and unnecessarily sped up compared his teammates.
He’s would’ve been great on the And-1 tour.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah I"m waking up to those reports. Poole is a very cocky kid it was just a few days ago they were joking about Steph and Klay beating him in a 3 point contest and Klay saying any chance I get to take down Jordan Poole is good or something which seemed a bit odd.

He and Green are both up for contracts, Michigan vs Mich State, young buck against veteran etc.

Definitely not a good look though

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully if there is a race to the bottom, the Suns can find some trades.

If this guy is as good as I think he is, whatever team he goes to is going to be an instant dynasty if he can stay healthy.

I was wondering is their a limitation to cash considerations on a trade, because I could realistically see someone offering a billion dollars, maybe more for the number 1 pick in this case.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this guy is as good as I think he is, whatever team he goes to is going to be an instant dynasty if he can stay healthy.

I was wondering is their a limitation to cash considerations on a trade, because I could realistically see someone offering a billion dollars, maybe more for the number 1 pick in this case.

I think there are cash restrictions in a trade. I'm not sure about the exact amount.

You might want to read this ESPN article.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA