2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA opens a tampering investigation against the Knicks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hoops Hype says CP3 is not a top 5 pg anymore.
After leading the league in assists and that perfect 14/14 game and leading this team to a record 64 wins. WTH

I'm not saying he's a top 5 PG of all time but he should be in the convo.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After leading the league in assists and that perfect 14/14 game and leading this team to a record 64 wins. WTH

He was also 3rd team All-NBA last year as well an All-Star.

I'd say he's still top 5. I'd put Ja ahead of him, for sure, and Curry but other than those 2 there isn't anyone that much better unless you view Luka as a PG, which is debatable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

But he's DEFINITELY top 5 all time, for sure.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's only for this season and Paul is ranked number 6. I'm not that worried about it as it doesn't really mean anything.

Luka Doncic (Mavericks)
Stephen Curry (Warriors)
Ja Morant (Grizzlies)
Trae Young (Hawks)
Damian Lillard (Blazers)
Chris Paul (Suns)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
But he's DEFINITELY top 5 all time, for sure.
Not saying he's not. Especially statistically, BUT there have been a LOT of GREAT PGs in NBA History. Many played before most posters memories.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying he's not. Especially statistically, BUT there have been a LOT of GREAT PGs in NBA History. Many played before most posters memories.
Chris Paul, Walt Frazier, Steph Curry, Magic Johnson and Gary Payton in no specific order. That's my top 5 list with Isiah Thomas, John Stockton, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Allen Iverson rounding out the next five. Oscar Roberton and Bob Cousy top the next 5 along with 3 PGs that probably make the top 10 if injuries weren't an issue, Sidney Moncrief, Derrick Rose and KJ. If I'm selling any of them short it's Bob Cousy (not Oscar as many will suggest).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chris Paul, Walt Frazier, Steph Curry, Magic Johnson and Gary Payton in no specific order. That's my top 5 list with Isiah Thomas, John Stockton, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Allen Iverson rounding out the next five. Oscar Roberton and Bob Cousy top the next 5 along with 3 PGs that probably make the top 10 if injuries weren't an issue, Sidney Moncrief, Derrick Rose and KJ. If I'm selling any of them short it's Bob Cousy (not Oscar as many will suggest).
No logo? Jerry West. He was a great PG. Lenny Wilkens gets forgotten because of what he did as a coach. Maurice Cheeks was one of the most underrated I have seen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No logo? Jerry West. He was a great PG. Lenny Wilkens gets forgotten because of what he did as a coach. Maurice Cheeks was one of the most underrated I have seen.
I think of West more as a shooting guard. He played both guard spots back before they were calling one of them a "point guard". He'd make my top 20 all time guard list, just not top 15 PG list.

Lenny was solid, more than solid, and a better player than a coach IMO but there's only so many top spots available. Mo Cheeks doesn't come all that close to the top list IMO. I tried to favor the two way PG's but as always, we tend to overlook the Norm Van Lier kind of players that were much better on D than O.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I used to be a BIG Doctor J fan. So I watched as many Sixers games as I could in the past. It was very uncanny how a key steal, shot, or assist that Cheeks would make in crunch time to win games for them. Doug Collins is another PG not mentioned, but was a very underrated PG in his day. I don't have any disagreements with guys you mentioned. Just top 5 is very elite level.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA Basketball has selected its 12-man roster for the second round of World Cup qualifying.

ESPN via AP:

The roster will include six players -- Michael Frazier II, Langston Galloway, David Stockton, DaQuan Jeffries, John Jenkins and Eric Mika -- who were with the Americans for the previous qualifying window in July.

The other six players for games Aug. 25 in Las Vegas against Uruguay and at Colombia on Aug. 29 are Tyler Cavanaugh, Malik Ellison, Dewan Hernandez, Mac McClung, Robert Woodard II and McKinley Wright IV.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavericks sign McKinley Wright IV to a training camp deal. He was on the Suns summer league team.

I liked him, but he didn't seem to have the best handle for a point guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the 2022 Christmas Day schedule around the NBA.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the 2022 Christmas Day schedule around the NBA.

Amazing how the Lakers and Knicks get some burn on Christmas day. Should be Suns Mavs. And 76ers Heat. And then Lakers Clippers or something like that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing how the Lakers and Knicks get some burn on Christmas day. Should be Suns Mavs. And 76ers Heat. And then Lakers Clippers or something like that.

I'm sure the NBA wants to keep those large cities in the mix. The Knicks might be much improved this coming season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 76ers and Ben Simmons reach a financial agreement.