2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns did fine playing small ball with a center/power forward anchoring the middle. Where they ran into problems is depth when Saric was injured the Finals. Also Paul and Booker sustained injuries in the playoffs as well.

I'm not saying a healthy Saric would have been enough because the Suns needed more presence off the bench at the 4/5. Adding McGee should help but I believe they need something more.

A role playing power forward off the bench should suffice.
They did "fine" isn't going to win a title. They can't go into the playoffs without a competent backup at PF. Role player is someone who only comes in once in awhile. That isn't going to cut it. They need a legit back PF that is going to get regular minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about a sleeper, Jarred Vanderbilt is a restricted free agent with the Timberwolves. Although he can't shoot from outside he is a very active power forward who can handle the ball. He reminds me a bit of a poor man's Siakam. Vanderbilt is a good defender and rebounder. The Suns could use an active power forward like him off the bench.

Somehow I hope he slips through the cracks. The more I watch video of him the more I like him.
Yeah he'd be a great target, doubt he'll be available for us though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did "fine" isn't going to win a title. They can't go into the playoffs without a competent backup at PF. Role player is someone who only comes in once in awhile. That isn't going to cut it. They need a legit back PF that is going to get regular minutes.

The Suns starting unit and bench rotation got them to the Finals. If healthy the Suns might have won it all. So "fine" is pretty darn good and might have enough without injuries.

I don't think we disagree the Suns need to add another power forward to help the team off the bench. In fact I said it ALL last season.

A role playing power forward is about the only thing the Suns can hope to add with the $4.5 remaining MLE. Actually the got Torrey Craig for much less and he turned into a rotation player.

I said the Suns need more than Saric although it doesn't necessarily have to be in one player. It can be done by committee. Jae Crowder and Cam Johnson can play power forward against most teams. Also the Suns have added another rim protector in McGee.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he'd be a great target, doubt he'll be available for us though.

I have this hope that the Timberwolves get involved in a big trade and the Suns get Vanderbilt as loose change much like Torrey Craig. It's unlikely to happen but it never hurts to keep an eye on these type players.

Although it may not be Vanderbilt, some players should shake free as the season progresses and during buyouts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love by most accounts I have read is that he is done.
Kevin Love averaged 18 and 11 /36 last year, and that was with 31 minutes a game. He only played 25 games due to injury. That's decent production for a backup. Picking up Love after a buyout would be a great option. He is not a starting PF but would be great depth.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kevin Love averaged 18 and 11 /36 last year, and that was with 31 minutes a game. He only played 25 games due to injury. That's decent production for a backup. Picking up Love after a buyout would be a great option. He is not a starting PF but would be great depth.
I was wondering that about Griffen going to the Nets, but he actually upped his game when he got on a contender. I wonder in a limited games scenario if Love could do this, too.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I mean is from in injury perspective. He admitted in an interview his body is basically giving out. Maybe in limited minutes you can reduce that but another guy you hope doesn’t get hurt after playing a long season then the grind of the playoffs? I don’t know.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I mean is from in injury perspective. He admitted in an interview his body is basically giving out. Maybe in limited minutes you can reduce that but another guy you hope doesn’t get hurt after playing a long season then the grind of the playoffs? I don’t know.

you don’t even need him for the regular season.

your looking at him being maybe the 3rd string PF and then towards the end of the year you start working him him. You only need him for the playoffs

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don’t even need him for the regular season.

your looking at him being maybe the 3rd string PF and then towards the end of the year you start working him him. You only need him for the playoffs
That is straight up silly. You don't need him for the regular season but expect him to contribute in the playoffs? Won't happen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what did I say in my post?
That we don't need him in the regular season?!!? That we only need him for the playoffs?!? That you think someone you "work in" taking the entire season is capable of contributing in the playoffs after basically not getting off the bench all season??!?

I repeat. Silly.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That we don't need him in the regular season?!!? That we only need him for the playoffs?!? That you think someone you "work in" taking the entire season is capable of contributing in the playoffs after basically not getting off the bench all season??!?

I repeat. Silly.

so exactly how many minutes to you think he’s going to play?

who said he’s not getting off the bench in the regular season. Saying we don’t need him is like saying we’re not relying on him for big minutes that’s in the regular season or post season

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so exactly how many minutes to you think he’s going to play?

who said he’s not getting off the bench in the regular season. Saying we don’t need him is like saying we’re not relying on him for big minutes that’s in the regular season or post season
So you are saying a guy who hardly plays is going to be effective in the playoffs. We also know that Monty shortens the bench and doesn't play guys who hardly play during the season in the playoffs. I repeat. Silly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose