2021 NBA COVID Related. No Personal or Political Attacks!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Seems to directly contradict monty’s statement. I don’t even see how the above statement posted by Mainstreet can be described as a “caveat.”

I would guess that it is because the NBA has changed their mind.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the key word is "asymptomatic."

If a player is not showing any symptoms and do not violate any NBA rules concerning health and safety protocols they can play.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Dback Jon , @Hoop Head

Here is the caveat but it's still a significant change. Also it's an incentive to get fully vaccinated plus the booster.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is negligence. Vaccinated players are just as likely to contract Covid and just as likely to spread it. The only real difference is severity. If one group needs daily surveillance then both do.

And I am not an anti-vaxxer. Got my card.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the key word is "asymptomatic."

If a player is not showing any symptoms and do not violate any NBA rules concerning health and safety protocols they can play.
Right. Which flies in the face of montys comment that they tell their players out with Covid not to workout. Ayton said he was asymptomatic. So according to monty the suns instructed an asymptomatic player not to workout due to health reasons. But nba deems them healthy enough to play? See how they conflict?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is negligence. Vaccinated players are just as likely to contract Covid and just as likely to spread it. The only real difference is severity. If one group needs daily surveillance then both do.

And I am not an anti-vaxxer. Got my card.

I'm fully vaccinated and have received my booster as well.

With that said, I think the NBA has been very proactive in dealing with COVID. As a matter of fact I use it as sort of a model as how to track and live with the virus. Everything thing they have done thus far has been very well thought out based on science.

IMO, where we are now, is how to live with the virus. They are not saying health and safety protocols shouldn't be taken if symptomatic or not to mask or social distance in the community.

In a way, the NBA has created a bubble of vaccinated players and personnel.

On September 30th, 2021 at least 95% of the players were in the vaccination process. I can only imagine it is much higher now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Which flies in the face of montys comment that they tell their players out with Covid not to workout. Ayton said he was asymptomatic. So according to monty the suns instructed an asymptomatic player not to workout due to health reasons. But nba deems them healthy enough to play? See how they conflict?

I've read the same comments you have read. I'm not sure where the science is now. It's evolving.

I do have a lot of confidence in the NBA and NBPA to do everything they can to protect the players and related personnel.

Personally I have more questions about crowds that attend the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read the same comments you have read. I'm not sure where the science is now. It's evolving.

I do have a lot of confidence in the NBA and NBPA to do everything they can to protect the players and related personnel.

Personally I have more questions about crowds that attend the game.

Crowds seem to be a matter of local regulations. Like Toronto isn't allowing anyone right now. New York requires proof of vaccination for admittance. Those I know of off the top of my head and I'm sure there are others where proof of vaccination is required as well but I can't site where without looking it up. Apparently the league figures players won't catch it from the crowd.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowds seem to be a matter of local regulations. Like Toronto isn't allowing anyone right now. New York requires proof of vaccination for admittance. Those I know of off the top of my head and I'm sure there are others where proof of vaccination is required as well but I can't site where without looking it up. Apparently the league figures players won't catch it from the crowd.

I'm sure there are regulations for the crowd but I'm not sure if they are as strict as the NBA.

I was mostly saying NBA players and personnel are likely safer with each other because of being vaccinated than those in the crowd.

The NBA has created their own bubble of sorts via vaccination.

Also I still believe the players wear a face masks on the bench.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm fully vaccinated and have received my booster as well.

With that said, I think the NBA has been very proactive in dealing with COVID. As a matter of fact I use it as sort of a model as how to track and live with the virus. Everything thing they have done thus far has been very well thought out based on science.

IMO, where we are now, is how to live with the virus. They are not saying health and safety protocols shouldn't be taken if symptomatic or not to mask or social distance in the community.

In a way, the NBA has created a bubble of vaccinated players and personnel.

On September 30th, 2021 at least 95% of the players were in the vaccination process. I can only imagine it is much higher now.

Based upon the present risks, the only reason for daily testing then is to punish those who are not vaxxed. I can see no other logical reason. Again, as a matter of personal care, I am all for getting vaxxed, but I cannot see how it mitigates the risk to others. If they really don't want to spread this, they need to test all players daily.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based upon the present risks, the only reason for daily testing then is to punish those who are not vaxxed. I can see no other logical reason. Again, as a matter of personal care, I am all for getting vaxxed, but I cannot see how it mitigates the risk to others. If they really don't want to spread this, they need to test all players daily.
I don't know the specific reasons but I doubt that punishment was their goal - if it wasn't done for a legitimate medical reason though it was probably an attempt to motivate them to get vaccinated.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From what I understand, those who are vaccinated lower the risk of getting and spreading the virus. It also lessens the chance of getting a serious infection which can cause hospitalization and/or death.

If nothing else, those who are unvaccinated should consider the higher risk of spreading the virus to others particularly those who are at high risk.

Why shouldn't those who pose a higher level of risk be subject to increased testing? It sounds like science to me.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I understand, those who are vaccinated lower the risk of getting and spreading the virus. It also lessens the chance of getting a serious infection which can cause hospitalization and/or death.

If nothing else, those who are unvaccinated should consider the higher risk of spreading the virus to others particularly those who are at high risk.

Why shouldn't those who pose a higher level of risk be subject to increased testing? It sounds like science to me.
As I have been reading the data, there is not much difference in the risk of spreading to others with or without vaccine. Testing everyone in the NBA daily would be the only choice if they want to mitigate spread.

I am sure there are other studies that say differently, because I cannot understand these rules unless they exist. But I cannot find the studies.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I have been reading the data, there is not much difference in the risk of spreading to others with or without vaccine. Testing everyone in the NBA daily would be the only choice if they want to mitigate spread.

I am sure there are other studies that say differently, because I cannot understand these rules unless they exist. But I cannot find the studies.
Fully vaccinated as opposed to unvaccinated means lower viral loads for shorter periods of time which they believe translates to less forward transmission and less severe symptoms.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I saw in that earlier quote you are tested daily if you are eligible for the booster. That should be a lot of guys. Anecdotally, my work you have to be vaccinated. We were talking about booster shot, and I am the only one I know of that got a booster. Seems like most people feel fine with just the required shots. So I am just thinking human nature and would be surprised if many players have the booster. Personally I would do it just so I wasn't reacquired to test so much.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has Kyrie had Covid yet or been out with health and safety protocols other than not being vaccinated? That would be ironic.

And please, I am not making a case against vaccination. I've been jabbed. Just noticing the irony. This virus is weird some people do seem to be naturally immune.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose