Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks take HS SS Jordan Lawlar

They pass on Kumar Rocker

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s a very good pick but he’s multiple years out where Kumar rocker is going to be a solid major league one or two in the near future
Read is was because Rocker might have been too expensive. This team needs pitching and needs it now.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Won't matter, he will be traded for a bunch of rocks, just like they did with Swanson.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He’s a very good pick but he’s multiple years out where Kumar rocker is going to be a solid major league one or two in the near future
Lawler wasn't supposed to fall past #3 but he and Mayer who was projected to go #1 both fell. Lawler give ARZ a stud SS in their system to look forward to.
Rocker will be solid if he continues to develop his secondary pitches. I think scouts just fell out of love with him after the CWS as he was hit hard by UA and SC.

Read is was because Rocker might have been too expensive. This team needs pitching and needs it now.
Lawler is going to be very expensive as he is a strong VANDY commit and has the leverage. I think Rocker falling is something other than money. I mean KC would have been a perfect fit as they have been loading up on college arms the last few drafts but reached for the the Connecticut HS pitcher at #7.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lawlar and Green in b2b drafts would be some awesome upside pieces for the future. Granted we thought that about Kristian Robinson who’s got all kinds of issues.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lawler wasn't supposed to fall past #3 but he and Mayer who was projected to go #1 both fell. Lawler give ARZ a stud SS in their system to look forward to.
Rocker will be solid if he continues to develop his secondary pitches. I think scouts just fell out of love with him after the CWS as he was hit hard by UA and SC.

Lawler is going to be very expensive as he is a strong VANDY commit and has the leverage. I think Rocker falling is something other than money. I mean KC would have been a perfect fit as they have been loading up on college arms the last few drafts but reached for the the Connecticut HS pitcher at #7.
True but lawler is also an older prep prospect at 19. How long can the kid wait to get paid enter a MLB’s teams system?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but lawler is also an older prep prospect at 19. How long can the kid wait to get paid enter a MLB’s teams system?
If he goes to Vandy he's locked into college until he's 22 (he's 18 right now, but turns 19 this week).

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note - in 2018 the Dbacks drafted another HS SS - Matt McLain at #25. He decided to go to UCLA instead. Just got drafted #17. So three years, improved draft slot 8 places (approx draft value from $2.6 m at 25 to $3.6m at #17

Dbacks drafted Blake Walston the next year with the comp pick.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe he’s draft eligible as a sophomore so there’s more pressure to get this done. Even more next year.

It depends on what they use as the cutoff. You have to either be a Junior or a Senior OR 21 years old at the time of the draft.

In two years, assuming the draft is the same time of the year, he will still be 20 at the time of the 2023 draft (missing it by a week)

I don't know what they consider the cutoff date for age.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nightmarish if they don't take Rocker and don't sign Lawlar

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After drafting a SS in round 1, the Dbacks make a massive reach in round 2 to take another SS in Ryan Bliss at #41.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After drafting a SS in round 1, the Dbacks make a massive reach in round 2 to take another SS in Ryan Bliss at #41.
He is projected as a second baseman. Also, the guys on mlb.com loved this pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Love the Lawlar pick. (Can't wait for Nick Ahmed to be long gone. He has been a total bum ever since he signed the contract extension.) Hate the Bliss pick. Have no clue what they intend to do for pitching (though Torey Lovullo keeps ruining our young pitchers, anyway).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The problem is that Lawlar and Perdomo are now our middle infield of the future. Where does Bliss play? Or worse...does drafting Bliss hurt our chances of signing Lawlar (in which case passing on Rocker to take Lawlar only for Lawlar to go to college really, really hurts us)?
They killed Perdomo’s confidence by calling him up. He’s having a historically bad year in AA.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
We took the first ever practicing Orthodox Jew in the 3rd round.. cheese and ouchie’s new favorite player!!

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Over the years I’ve learned not to get too low or too high on any mlb draft pick. It’s more of a crapshoot than any other sport. A *** round pick that was considered a huge reach seems to make it just as often as the *** round pick that everyone projected to go much higher.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where can we find the dbacks picks? Weren’t they supposed draft 10 or 11 rounds today?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose