2021 Draft: What’s a guy you really WANT & a guy that you want to STAY AWAY from?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now, let’s keep it realistic. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell guys like Pitts, Smith, Waddle, Chase, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, & Farley fall to us. Guys that have been mocked in the top 12 for the entirety of the draft cycle. Try not to include them.

Guys like Vera-Tucker, Bateman, Horn, Ojulari, Rousseau, Darrisaw, Ossai, etc, all have fair chances to fall to #16.

WANT: Alijah Vera-Tucker. Versatile OLine that was very good at LT for the Trojans, but GREAT at LG for them. He is a Day 1 starter at LG, which I would then move Pugh to RG. Play the rookie where he’s most comfortable at. This gives a huge boost to our interior, especially going against the likes of Aaron Donald & even Bosa when he slides in. He’s polished, athletic, & has sky high All-Pro potential. He will help Kyler a ton & our RBs a ton as well. Winning starts up front.

STAY AWAY: Any ILB. Yes, that includes Micah Parsons & Zaven Collins. It is 2021, unless you already have a dominant DLine in front of you to keep your ILBs clean, you should not be building around your ILB. Look at all the best ILBs in the league: Fred Warner, Eric Kendricks, Darius Leonard, Lavonte David, Bobby Wagner(albeit slowing down), none of these guys were drafted in the first round. Also, with as many needs as we have, the value just isn’t there for us to be taking one. Having a Kuechly/Davis or Willis/Bowman sounds good, but those guys also had very good DL group in front of them to take the pressure off. As of this very moment, we don’t. Drafting 1st round ILBs in back-to-back years in insane. Stay away from any ILB.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now, let’s keep it realistic. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell guys like Pitts, Smith, Waddle, Chase, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, & Farley fall to us. Guys that have been mocked in the top 12 for the entirety of the draft cycle. Try not to include them.

Guys like Vera-Tucker, Bateman, Horn, Ojulari, Rousseau, Darrisaw, Ossai, etc, all have fair chances to fall to #16.

WANT: Alijah Vera-Tucker. Versatile OLine that was very good at LT for the Trojans, but GREAT at LG for them. He is a Day 1 starter at LG, which I would then move Pugh to RG. Play the rookie where he’s most comfortable at. This gives a huge boost to our interior, especially going against the likes of Aaron Donald & even Bosa when he slides in. He’s polished, athletic, & has sky high All-Pro potential. He will help Kyler a ton & our RBs a ton as well. Winning starts up front.

STAY AWAY: Any ILB. Yes, that includes Micah Parsons & Zaven Collins. It is 2021, unless you already have a dominant DLine in front of you to keep your ILBs clean, you should not be building around your ILB. Look at all the best ILBs in the league: Fred Warner, Eric Kendricks, Darius Leonard, Lavonte David, Bobby Wagner(albeit slowing down), none of these guys were drafted in the first round. Also, with as many needs as we have, the value just isn’t there for us to be taking one. Having a Kuechly/Davis or Willis/Bowman sounds good, but those guys also had very good DL group in front of them to take the pressure off. As of this very moment, we don’t. Drafting 1st round ILBs in back-to-back years in insane. Stay away from any ILB.
Great post! I love Vera-Tucker @ 16. And yes, we need to stay away from ILB at 16.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like Chase, but unlikely will happen
I want an offensive lineman, preferably a tackle

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Depends on free agency. If Reddick walks, the Cardinals will need another young edge.

Want:. Ojulari. A team can never have enough pass rushers, and I think this kid can be a consistent NFL rusher.

Stay away: ILB. With @DVontel on this take. Even though I really like the top ILBs, the value sucks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering the guys you mention are gone (although I think at least 2 of them will be there at #16)

Not necessarily at #16 at any point in the first 2 days I like Horn, Ojulari, Collins, Bateman, Najee, Ossai, Wyatt Davis, Marshall, Basham, Melifonwu, Brevin Jordan.

These are guys I think will be great or just offer great value at their expected draft position.

Guys I'm not high on that others are, most of the tackles. There are some good players but I don't like any as much as Wills or Wirfs last year. I know there are lots of AVT fans here, I'm not a fan. Barmore. Toney. Etienne.

These are guys I think are overrated, or give me concerns.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Stay away from the OSU RB Hubbard. I don't think he 'loves football'. He quit on the Cowboys last season.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would love to get a CB, a starting quality O-Lineman, and an offensive weapon in the 1st 3 rounds.

Looking at value and what is consistently available in mock drafts....its seems to break down like this.

CB - Surtain/Farley likely gone. Horn = most likely. Guys rated below Horn are a reach at #16.

O-Line- Almost all of the top option for interior lineman will be there at #16...as well as a top 3 OT if we want to go that route. 2nd and 3rd round could still produce a starting OG or OC.

Offensive Weapon - Top Wr's are gone by 16....probably looking at the 4th best WR at #16. Pitts is a wildcard, but probably also gone. RB...we would have our choice but the value is not there.

I think the most likely scenario that remains realistic is Horn, Wyatt Davis, and a RB like Kenny Gainwell

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Stay away from the OSU RB Hubbard. I don't think he 'loves football'. He quit on the Cowboys last season.
I’ll mark chuba Hubbard as a guy I WANT on my team. He’s talented. He isn’t afraid to stand up for what he believes. Only hesitation is he might have a lot of miles on those legs. That likely causes him to drop, which makes him a likely value buy.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Whoever the Cards pick in R1 is a good candidate for who we should stay away from.

The highest ranked player that we pass over in R1 would be someone I would probably like.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
WANT
OL (pretty much all of them)
EDGE (Oweh and Ojulari and Jordan Smith are my favorites)

STAY AWAY
I agree about ILB even though I like the players themselves

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
maybe a bit of a contrarian take:

player i WANT: Pitts.

i get the argument about TE, etc -- but (iirc) Choppers argument is a valid one: if he were listed as a WR, he would still be a 1st round guy. Mismatch waiting to happen and will really force Defenses into bad choices.

STAY AWAY: Barmore. Those Alabama defensive linemen seem to underwhelm, especially as rookies.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
maybe a bit of a contrarian take:

player i WANT: Pitts.

i get the argument about TE, etc -- but (iirc) Choppers argument is a valid one: if he were listed as a WR, he would still be a 1st round guy. Mismatch waiting to happen and will really force Defenses into bad choices.

STAY AWAY: Barmore. Those Alabama defensive linemen seem to underwhelm, especially as rookies.
Underwhelming rookie season, but Quinnen Williams looked like an All-Pro last season. Certainly better than the other guy in his class, Ed Oliver.

Also, c’mon man, try not to pick Pitts.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Underwhelming rookie season, but Quinnen Williams looked like an All-Pro last season. Certainly better than the other guy in his class, Ed Oliver.

I actually like Alabama defensive linemen especially 2nd round and on. They can get a little beat up and you can tell Saban prioritizes guys who are stronger over quicker, but a lot of these guys can stick and contribute vs the run game right away. The special ones and those you want to target early are those who start early and have those pass rush attributes. It is why Barmore is appealing to me.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I actually like Alabama defensive linemen especially 2nd round and on.

i agree on this

I just dont like Barmore at #16: one year, inconsistent during that year -- and then played lights out during the CFB playoffs

i think there are picks there with higher floors and similar ceilings

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I was so tempted to include Slater in my response but decided to follow the rules.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
i agree on this

I just dont like Barmore at #16: one year, inconsistent during that year -- and then played lights out during the CFB playoffs

i think there are picks there with higher floors and similar ceilings
I don't love any DL in this draft at 16, but I struggle with your concerns. He red-shirted his true freshman year, but then was starting by the end of his R-FR season and grew to be the best player on the defensive front 7 by the end of his R-Soph year. AT ALABAMA. Pretty impressive to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose