2021-22 Suns Depth Chart

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless there is a trade or surprise signing then this will likely be our roster headed into next year....

C - Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky
PF - Jae Crowder, Jalen Smith
SF - Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdul Nader
SG - Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
PG - Chris Paul, Cam Payne, Elfrid Payton

Two-Way Contract - Tyshon Alexander (SG)

And Dario Saric also takes up a roster spot. It's unlikely we see him this season, even in a deep playoff run.

Its a similar team to last year with a much better backup for Ayton. I hope Stix can contribute but if he can't, I'm not that worried. We'll see Cam Johnson at PF quite a bit as well, just like last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Booker or Shamet playing some SF alongside Paul and Payne.

All signings are officially except for McGee. He should be announced any day now that the Olympics are over.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Given what is left on the market, I like the idea of going into the season with half our ML, our BLE, and potentially our DPE. It seems like last season around the trade deadline and during veteran buyouts we were kind of boxed in with a full roster and limited funds. I don’t think we can expect to get lucky again and obtain a player like Craig for next to nothing. It seems like we will be better prepared during the season to potentially make a move if one presents itself.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been doing ongoing updates about the Suns roster through the trade and free agency period so I will add it here as well.

The Suns current roster roster stands at 14 players with the projected official signings of Javale McGee and Elfrid Payton.

Dario Sario is on the Suns roster and will remain there until the unlikely event he is traded. The Suns are eligible to apply for a Disabled Player Exception (DPE) for him for about half his salary but as previously discussed, the DPE is complicated and seldom used by NBA teams.

Until the Suns add another player that can play power forward I suspect Cam Johnson will be the backup power forward because I do not believe Jalen Smith is ready to assume this role. I guess we can call him a SF/PF but labels are not that important in today's game.

This is the way I see the Suns roster:

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne, Elfrid Payton

SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet

SF: Mikal Bridges, , Abdel Nader

PF: Jae Crowder, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)

C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky

The Suns still have the partial Mid-Level Exception (MLE) about $4.5 million and Bi-Annual Exception (BAE) about $3,623,000 to use which will allow them to add a 15th player later on or possibly make another move later in the season.

I hope the Suns decide to keep Ty-Shon Alexander SG on a two-way contract because I think his game will only improve.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It looks like they fixed the biggest hole, improving other positions as well.

They appear to be set at PG spot- same as last year with Payton as an insurance policy.
Booker gets a backup at SG. I am pretty sure this is the first time Book has an actual backup SG behind him.
SF is set- Bridges and Johnson are gonna take those minutes with Nader as an insurance policy. They can even experiment with smaller lineups with Payne at 2 and Book sliding to 4.
PF spot probably leaves a bit to be desired, but Johnson can get backup minutes against most teams, while Frank can play next to one of the bigs against bigger teams. I really see Frank as the big backup 4 and just an insurance policy at 5.
C is set with a huge backup, and Frank as an insurance policy.

Overall, I am happy- they improved. However, I really think that in order to win it all, Suns' youngsters will need to improve. Bridges and Johns need to be a little bit better. Ayton needs to be a bit better and more consistent. Booker needs to grow up a bit mentally and not get frustrated as easily as he was getting frustrated last year. Everyone is going to be a little more experienced as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will repost this tweet here. Elfrid Payton OFFICIALLY signs with Suns.

JaVale McGee is the only one left to sign.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
As far as Payton, I'm luke warm on him. Think there are better options that probably would've taken small money.

Hell, after what IT did in the Pro Am, would've loved for him to come back. With him on the roster, we could rest CP3 more this season too.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as Payton, I'm luke warm on him. Think there are better options that probably would've taken small money.

Hell, after what IT did in the Pro Am, would've loved for him to come back. With him on the roster, we could rest CP3 more this season too.

IT wasnt signing here to be a 3rd stringer. He wants to prove he's worth another contract. Plus his presence could disrupt chemistry. I'm not blaming him for the issues in teams he's been on but he's been enough places with issues, including here, that I'd be leery.

Payton is a 3rd string signing. He was literally a starter on a playoff team last year and we got him to be our backups backup. I don't understand why so many people are against the signing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IT wasnt signing here to be a 3rd stringer. He wants to prove he's worth another contract. Plus his presence could disrupt chemistry. I'm not blaming him for the issues in teams he's been on but he's been enough places with issues, including here, that I'd be leery.

Payton is a 3rd string signing. He was literally a starter on a playoff team last year and we got him to be our backups backup. I don't understand why so many people are against the signing.
That is a bit off... he did start for them for a while, but once the post season started he wasn't even in the rotation. the Knicks had figured out he was one of their worst players.

But... we'll see, maybe he won't suck for us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a bit off... he did start for them for a while, but once the post season started he wasn't even in the rotation. the Knicks had figured out he was one of their worst players.

I tend to look at what a player can do.

What Elfrid Payton can do is get to the rim. The only two other players that can consistently do this for the Suns is Cam Payne and Devin Booker. So in this regard, the Suns really needed another player that can penetrate. I'm thinking Monty can devise a plan to use these skills.

His career assist to turnover ratio is 6.2 to 2.3.

Admittedly Payne is not the best shooter but he is only being asked to be a third point guard not a starter like with the Knicks.

This game may be described as an outlier but on a given night, how many third string point guards can do this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think it's coincidence that Payton had easily his worst year in the league last season. Not everyone can play for Thibs, he's destroyed more than a few players along the way. And Elfrid is an odd duck, it's no surprise that he got along so well with TJ Warren. We'll find out whether Monty can turn him around or not - regardless, it's an inexpensive one year deal for a 3rd string point guard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used to be really high on Payton's potential when he was drafted. But then he refused to cut that mop of his and it became obvious that he either cared more about his hair than his game or he did not have enough sense to know how much it hurt him. He finally cut it after leaving and so I am glad that is behind us. However, I also remember the consternation on this board with his play when we really NEEDED a pg. He could look good for one minute and then lose the game for us in the next 10.

Maybe Monty can rehab him some as he did with Cam Payne. But I am certainly not holding my breath.

At least we didn't resign Mike James.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used to be really high on Payton's potential when he was drafted. But then he refused to cut that mop of his and it became obvious that he either cared more about his hair than his game or he did not have enough sense to know how much it hurt him. He finally cut it after leaving and so I am glad that is behind us. However, I also remember the consternation on this board with his play when we really NEEDED a pg. He could look good for one minute and then lose the game for us in the next 10.

Maybe Monty can rehab him some as he did with Cam Payne. But I am certainly not holding my breath.

At least we didn't resign Mike James.

Mike who?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it's coincidence that Payton had easily his worst year in the league last season. Not everyone can play for Thibs, he's destroyed more than a few players along the way. And Elfrid is an odd duck, it's no surprise that he got along so well with TJ Warren. We'll find out whether Monty can turn him around or not - regardless, it's an inexpensive one year deal for a 3rd string point guard.

He was worse the last time he was here, but that was only for part of a season. Even so, he was the worst player on a terrible team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was worse the last time he was here, but that was only for part of a season. Even so, he was the worst player on a terrible team.
Didn't we shut it down and go into tank mode shortly after he'd has some good games? And to be clear, that's a question not a statement. I remember something happening that timed with his decline in play although I'm not sure I recall it correctly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didn't we shut it down and go into tank mode shortly after he'd has some good games? And to be clear, that's a question not a statement. I remember something happening that timed with his decline in play although I'm not sure I recall it correctly.
I think that’s a little hyperbole. He wasn’t great but he was better than a bunch of the g-leaguers we had on that team. Especially at the PG position.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that’s a little hyperbole. He wasn’t great but he was better than a bunch of the g-leaguers we had on that team. Especially at the PG position.
Yeah but I do remember him impressing for a short while (enough to get our hopes up) and then he just started sleepwalking through games. I'm not sure I have the chain of events correct about tanking but that's all I can think of.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah but I do remember him impressing for a short while (enough to get our hopes up) and then he just started sleepwalking through games. I'm not sure I have the chain of events correct about tanking but that's all I can think of.
No I think you are absolutely correct. I was one of those that argued that his hair wasn’t why he fell off a cliff and that he was simply not a good player. But a majority of the board thought his hair was the problem. Weird, that’s most of what I remember about his time here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I think you are absolutely correct. I was one of those that argued that his hair wasn’t why he fell off a cliff and that he was simply not a good player. But a majority of the board thought his hair was the problem. Weird, that’s most of what I remember about his time here.
Oh yeah, it could have been the rumor that the franchise said they wouldn't want him back unless he cut his hair (in addition to the tanking).

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just grateful he got a haircut. I couldn't deal with a full season of the hair takes here otherwise, even with him as a 3rd stringer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That hair-hat blocked him a few times
It definitely did. It hurt him even in his better games whether it was free throws or just shooting. And yeah, it actually blocked a few of his shots. I know it's all about the unique look and the "brand" but come on, didn't the guy own a mirror?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely did. It hurt him even in his better games whether it was free throws or just shooting. And yeah, it actually blocked a few of his shots. I know it's all about the unique look and the "brand" but come on, didn't the guy own a mirror?

I think it was a superstitious thing. I remember hearing him say something about not cutting his hair since high school, perhaps even farther back. I believe he cut it the summer after he was here and he did increase his FT% up to 75% from about 64% through his career but its gone down back to pre-haircut averages since then. So I'm not sure how much his hair really effected things. That's the only thing that stands out to me.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Excited about the roster and the team. Another year with several players who made big jumps. I think we continue to improve in many areas for players 1-9 and we will be seasoned to handle the tougher western conference just fine.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He sat out the last couple weeks but I don't think it had anything to do with tanking. He posted a jaw dropping +,- stat during his 19 games here. He was -254 in a mere 540 minutes played, no one else on the team was even close on a per minute basis. Per 100 possessions we go outscored 99-120 with him out there. That -21 ratio put him in his own stratosphere, with Tony Daniels having the next worst ratio at -12.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose