2021-22 Suns Depth Chart

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to think of an example, but I am coming up short. Who do you have in mind that Centers and Small Forwards would not be able to guard? I am only coming up with guys like Durant, LeBron, Giannis... all of which cannot really be guarded by anyone, but Ayton, Crowder, Bridges do as good of a job as anyone can possibly do.

In general though, there is no "complete" team that has every option for every single situation.

There are a bunch. It can vary on a given night but here are a few: Anthony Davis, Bobby Portis, Pascal Siakam, Jerami Grant, Zion Williamson and Blake Griffin.

The bigger problem is a team like the Bucks can go really big with multiple players like Brooks, Portis and Giannis. Too often Ayton was the primary defender in the middle and susceptible to getting in foul trouble.

Every team is going to have weaknesses but every effort should be made to strengthen those weaknesses.

On the positive side, I think the Suns realize where they are the most vulnerable and plan to fix it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the season going small when Ayton went out wasn't a problem. Against the Bucks they figured out to put their three bigs in, and we could not match up. As soon as we doubled Giannis, he would pass out and a big would seem to always be open on a roll to the basket. So we do need size. So Mcgee gives us that height on back up center so we have a shot blocker in when Ayton goes out. Ideally at Stix height, he develops so we can mitigate the Torrey Craig loss. At some point you have to play Stix to see what you have. That will be the first half of the season, before trade deadline and people getting waived, etc.

This is the wild card. I think James Jones thought Stix could play last season but he wasn't ready. If Stix develops he is perfect to play backup power forward or small ball center.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
This is the wild card. I think James Jones thought Stix could play last season but he wasn't ready. If Stix develops he is perfect to play backup power forward or small ball center.
Also, with more pounds and strength, Cameron Johnson could be a PF in today's NBA. However, you want that 6'10" Jalen Smith height, if legit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, with more pounds and strength, Cameron Johnson could be a PF in today's NBA. However, you want that 6'10" Jalen Smith height, if legit.

I view Cam Johnson as a situational backup power forward but a much better backup small forward.

Jalen Smith turning into a rotation power forward would be icing on the cake. Big, athletic players that can play inside and shoot outside are hard to find.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the season going small when Ayton went out wasn't a problem. Against the Bucks they figured out to put their three bigs in, and we could not match up. As soon as we doubled Giannis, he would pass out and a big would seem to always be open on a roll to the basket. So we do need size. So Mcgee gives us that height on back up center so we have a shot blocker in when Ayton goes out. Ideally at Stix height, he develops so we can mitigate the Torrey Craig loss. At some point you have to play Stix to see what you have. That will be the first half of the season, before trade deadline and people getting waived, etc.
I disagree. Well, sort of. Yes, that's what happened but it worked because our strength had been negated by injuries.

If Payne hadn't sprained his ankle and if Chris hadn't injured his shoulder, wrist and finger and if Booker hadn't tweaked his hamstring, we would have made them pay for going big just like we did during the season. Losing Saric made us even more vulnerable but having our guards limited by injury was the real killer.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam's game is predicated on his ability to move. Him getting "bulky" to play the PF position wouldn't be a good idea.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. Well, sort of. Yes, that's what happened but it worked because our strength had been negated by injuries.

If Payne hadn't sprained his ankle and if Chris hadn't injured his shoulder, wrist and finger and if Booker hadn't tweaked his hamstring, we would have made them pay for going big just like we did during the season. Losing Saric made us even more vulnerable but having our guards limited by injury was the real killer.

We won 4 games in a row against the Bucks before losing to them 4 in a row while we were beat up. I'm not making excuses for those losses, they happened but I can't see that happening again because its unlikely all of our guards are injured at the same time again. Also Ayton won't need to worry about foul trouble as much since he has a competent backup.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam's game is predicated on his ability to move. Him getting "bulky" to play the PF position wouldn't be a good idea.

He doesnt need to get bulky. He was solid as a small ball PF in the bubble during his rookie year. He needs to get back to that. He's a smart player also and I believe he'll find ways to continue to be effective in whatever role is asked of him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Cam Johnson is a natural small forward at 6'8" and 210 pounds. He added 10+ pounds in the summer of 2020 but I don't think he was able to keep it on. IMO, asking him to play backup power on a regular basis is asking too much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of going down the excuse trail in the playoffs other fans have used to explain their losses to the Suns.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of going down the excuse trail in the playoffs other fans have used to explain their losses to the Suns.

It's not really finding excuses if you're looking to the future of how they can avoid it happening again. When looking to the future you should recognize that's its incredibly unlikely we have Paul, Payne, and Booker ailing from various injuries. If you look at the games played while those guys were healthy, the Bucks weren't a problem.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of going down the excuse trail in the playoffs other fans ave used to explain their losses to the Suns.
We wouldn't have been there without good luck and the Bucks wouldn't have won the title without being the benefit of our bad luck, the Hawks bad luck and the Nets bad luck. It happens. Ignoring that it happened makes no sense to me. Also, ignoring that it happens leaves you open to bad decisions, trying to fix something that isn't broken or trying to fix the wrong problem.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not really finding excuses if you're looking to the future of how they can avoid it happening again. When looking to the future you should recognize that's its incredibly unlikely we have Paul, Payne, and Booker ailing from various injuries. If you look at the games played while those guys were healthy, the Bucks weren't a problem.

It sounded a lot like excuses not that there isn't some validity to it. A lot of teams can claim the same thing. The truth is we don't know what is going to happen this coming season. Hopefully injuries are not a serious problem.

I think the best thing a team can do is build 3 x 5 depth at every position and hope a star does not get seriously injured. Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game. A lot of "what if" games can be played but I don't look for opponents or their fans to feel sorry for the Suns.

I didn't feel sorry for the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets when they were missing star players. Also when it was feared Giannis might miss some games in the Finals I would have taken this as well. The truth is even a top team needs some luck and good health to win a title.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wouldn't have been there without good luck and the Bucks wouldn't have won the title without being the benefit of our bad luck, the Hawks bad luck and the Nets bad luck. It happens. Ignoring that it happened makes no sense to me. Also, ignoring that it happens leaves you open to bad decisions, trying to fix something that isn't broken or trying to fix the wrong problem.

As discussed with Hoop Head injuries are part of the game. Luck is definitely a part of a playoff run no matter how good the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red73