2021-22 Suns Depth Chart

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I'd rather keep the spot open to find the right piece that is a good fit rather than rushing to fill it now with someone who may not be the best fit or fill a big need for us. Like last year if we rushed to sign a Center after releasing Damien Jones then we wouldn't have been able to get Torrey Craig, who fit better and helped us more than any 3rd string Center available that could have replaced Jones.

I completely agree with this. Having an open spot and part of the MLE for when buyouts inevitably happen is much much more valuable than any of the current free agents that are still out there that we could sign.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with this. Having an open spot and part of the MLE for when buyouts inevitably happen is much much more valuable than any of the current free agents that are still out there that we could sign.

I didn't say otherwise.

That's why the 15th slot is open but a need is still a need. Depth at the power forward position needs to be fixed when the right player becomes available.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I didn't say otherwise.

That's why the 15th slot is open but a need is still a need. Depth at the power forward position needs to be fixed when the right player becomes available.
Completely agree. I chopped the first half of the quote off so that I could respond to the part that I did quote within a vacuum and not connected to the discussion at hand. Truth is, I hadn’t posted in awhile and just felt like posting something… haha.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. I chopped the first half of the quote off so that I could respond to the part that I did quote within a vacuum and not connected to the discussion at hand. Truth is, I hadn’t posted in awhile and just felt like posting something… haha.

You need to post more! It's been a slow weekend thus far with Suns news.

Do you have a link about Dario's surgery? I'd like to read about it as I haven't seen anything about the surgery until you mentioned it in the other thread.

I wasn't expecting the Suns to use the DPE anyway with $4.5 million of the MLE available.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't say the situation was "dire" but it is important how the Suns fill that 15th slot.

Saric and Craig were small ball 4s and 5s that could spread the court. Kaminsky was on the roster last season but never seemed to earn Monty's full trust as a rotation player. McGee is a rim protector and rebounder who plays inside. They are different type players.

The Suns need more depth upfront as they did all last season. McGee only replaced one position, not two. Suns need someone who can minimally replace Craig. Nothing like a photo to drive the point home. If you are asking Cam Johnson to play power forward full time I think that is asking too much.

Yes, we are waiting for the right player but I don't think for a moment the problem is fixed unless you are counting on Stix to be a rotation player. In my eyes, he yet to prove he is an NBA player worthy of minutes until he earns it.

You never said "dire" but the frequency of your posts about the importance of filling out the roster and adding another PF indicates that you believe its a priority and should be done sooner than later.

While Frank didn't regularly feature in the playoff rotation he did play a lot during the season and even started for a few stretches. He was used situationally. Once we added Craig though he was used less as a PF because Monty liked going smaller with Craig at PF. He's not an every day player on this roster, he's best used against certain opponents and will likely do the same next year.

McGee did only replace one rotation role, backup Center, which aligns with how Saric played. Like I said before, Saric was not used as a backup PF last season very much at all. I'd guess 90% of his time was a backup C. McGee will handle that and a little more because unlike Saric he's a rim protector. He doesn't offer the floor spacing that Saric did but its give and take, he's a much better interior defender so that's the trade off. Ill take that.

We need to wait for the right guy, however we can get him. Whether by trade or free agent signing but unless someone new is bought out there really isn't a good option on the free agent market. Since Jones isn't rushing to fill that spot with the scraps available I think he sees someone on the roster that can fill that role. We'll know come training camp but I believe Cam Johnson will be fine as a backup PF with Stix also seeing some time. Unless a good trade presents itself that is likely to be what we bring into camp and I trust that decision given what this front office and Monty have accomplished thus far.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to wait for the right guy, however we can get him. Whether by trade or free agent signing but unless someone new is bought out there really isn't a good option on the free agent market. Since Jones isn't rushing to fill that spot with the scraps available I think he sees someone on the roster that can fill that role. We'll know come training camp but I believe Cam Johnson will be fine as a backup PF with Stix also seeing some time. Unless a good trade presents itself that is likely to be what we bring into camp and I trust that decision given what this front office and Monty have accomplished thus far.

I never said otherwise. Perhaps you are making a straw man argument?

What I did point out is the importance of filling the 15th slot with a player that can strengthen the power forward position. I never suggested filling it with the wrong player. Obviously that is why the roster spot is still open. James Jones has been very careful this season adding players that can contribute.

Where we may disagree, I really don't see that player on the Suns roster at the moment. Even if they were, the Suns would need additional depth at the power forward position. I don't like the idea of thinking everything is okay by the addition of one player upfront when the Suns have lost two.

If there was anything learned in the Finals last season the Suns need someone to match-up when a team goes big by bringing in an extra player like Bobby Portis.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are reports the Warriors and Nets are interested in Paul Millsap. Also that he would like to play for a Finals contender.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said otherwise. Perhaps you are making a straw man argument?

What I did point out is the importance of filling the 15th slot with a player that can strengthen the power forward position. I never suggested filling it with the wrong player. Obviously that is why the roster spot is still open. James Jones has been very careful this season adding players that can contribute.

Where we may disagree, I really don't see that player on the Suns roster at the moment. Even if they were, the Suns would need additional depth at the power forward position. I don't like the idea of thinking everything is okay by the addition of one player upfront when the Suns have lost two.

If there was anything learned in the Finals last season the Suns need someone to match-up when a team goes big by bringing in an extra player like Bobby Portis.
I don't think he's making a straw man argument, I just think you guys aren't talking about the exact same things. You've pushed for adding a 15th man to the roster and at the same time you mention players such as Bobby Portis.

Portis could be the 15th player added to the roster but he wouldn't be our 15th man, not even close - he'd probably be in our top 8. We could really use a player of Bobby's ability which you are asking for but we have no real need for a true 15th man on the roster right now which is what HH is talking about.

If we can get a true rotation player, do it now, but if we can't, it might be better to save that roster spot for a midseason trade or signing.

JMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

I was talking about the Suns need to match-up with players like Bobby Portis. Obviously Bobby Portis re-signed with the Bucks.

See quote:

The Suns only have one roster spot open so that equates to filling the 15th roster spot not that the player's value is that low. If the Suns add a power forward, he could well turn into a rotation player much like Torrey Craig.

I am certainly not wanting to add the wrong player for the sake of adding a player. I think that has been misinterpreted.

However, if the right player comes along... by all means. Even with McGee, I think the Suns need to add more length at power forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, here is a link to a photo much like the one that inspired me to inspire to start this conversation.

In my opinion, the conversation would be better directed at who the Suns should add rather when that player will become available.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, if the right player comes along... by all means. Even with McGee, I think the Suns need to add more length at power forward.
Yeah I think we all agree on this although maybe not to the same extent. Having another rotation big man could have made all the difference in our matchup with the Bucks. But I also believe that having Chris Paul fully healthy would have made even more of a difference and would have eliminated our need for a Saric replacement. Regardless, it would be nice to have that safety net this season even if we don't ultimately need it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think we all agree on this although maybe not to the same extent. Having another rotation big man could have made all the difference in our matchup with the Bucks. But I also believe that having Chris Paul fully healthy would have made even more of a difference and would have eliminated our need for a Saric replacement. Regardless, it would be nice to have that safety net this season even if we don't ultimately need it.

I'm a firm believer in planning ahead for what can go wrong rather than hoping everything goes right. Perhaps it's a bit like planning ahead for a hurricane, wildfire or a tornado in being prepared.

Although there is no way to replace the loss or injury to a star player, adding backup depth can mean the difference between winning and losing if everything is near equal.

The Suns have already done this by adding depth at shooting guard in Landry shamet and adding Elfid Payton as a third point guard. Also they have solid depth at small forward and center.

I don't want power forward to be the weak link again. Does it have to be done immediately... no... but I don't believe in repeating the same mistake twice.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are reports the Warriors and Nets are interested in Paul Millsap. Also that he would like to play for a Finals contender.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I kinda don’t get the suns not signing him already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One can only guess. Perhaps Millsap wants more money than the Suns are offering or he wants a starting position. It also could mean the Suns have their eye on someone else.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Did you see him in the Denver playoff series? He's done. He doesn't offer a lot at this point in his career and he's not likely to see minutes here as a 3rd string big, which is all he could really be at this point. He fell off pretty quickly.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he's making a straw man argument, I just think you guys aren't talking about the exact same things. You've pushed for adding a 15th man to the roster and at the same time you mention players such as Bobby Portis.

Portis could be the 15th player added to the roster but he wouldn't be our 15th man, not even close - he'd probably be in our top 8. We could really use a player of Bobby's ability which you are asking for but we have no real need for a true 15th man on the roster right now which is what HH is talking about.

If we can get a true rotation player, do it now, but if we can't, it might be better to save that roster spot for a midseason trade or signing.

JMO.

That's a good way to put it. It seems like some people, not just @Mainstreet but he is probably the most vocal here in this regard, believe we can sign someone to fill the 15th roster spot that will be the 7th or 8th man in the rotation and primary backup at PF. While that is possible I find it unlikely.

If we fill that spot now then whoever it is is more likely to be a 3rd stringer similar to Kaminsky in that they won't see a lot of time. There is no one left out there that I see who can do all some people want.

If we hope to add someone who can be the 7th or 8th guy in the rotation then we should wait and hope an a new player becomes available because there isn't anyone left on the market to fill that role.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did you see him in the Denver playoff series? He's done. He doesn't offer a lot at this point in his career and he's not likely to see minutes here as a 3rd string big, which is all he could really be at this point. He fell off pretty quickly.
I recall him hitting some threes against us in limited minutes. Not much defensively laterally but can still rebound. That Denver squad didn’t have much going for it at that point other joker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's a good way to put it. It seems like some people, not just @Mainstreet but he is probably the most vocal here in this regard, believe we can sign someone to fill the 15th roster spot that will be the 7th or 8th man in the rotation and primary backup at PF. While that is possible I find it unlikely.

If we fill that spot now then whoever it is is more likely to be a 3rd stringer similar to Kaminsky in that they won't see a lot of time. There is no one left out there that I see who can do all some people want.

If we hope to add someone who can be the 7th or 8th guy in the rotation then we should wait and hope an a new player becomes available because there isn't anyone left on the market to fill that role.
Your back to back posts confuse me. I don’t think anyone expects milsap to be anything more than 3rd string pf but it’s something we don’t have. But you think he’s too washed for that spot? 3rd string pf?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your back to back posts confuse me. I don’t think anyone expects milsap to be anything more than 3rd string pf but it’s something we don’t have. But you think he’s too washed for that spot? 3rd string pf?

I think Millsap would be a 15th spot guy if he signed and a 3rd stringer but I see no reason to sign him now because its likely we can add someone who offers as much as him later in the season. If we fill that spot soon then I hope its someone who is young and might surprise us rather than an end of their career veteran who should seriously consider retirement.

I see no reason to spend more than the minimum salary on Millsap and even then I think an open roster might be better than what he could offer. I wouldn't be angry if we signed him but I wouldn't be happy either. It would be more of a meh signing than Elfrid Payton, IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Millsap would be a 15th spot guy if he signed and a 3rd stringer but I see no reason to sign him now because its likely we can add someone who offers as much as him later in the season. If we fill that spot soon then I hope its someone who is young and might surprise us rather than an end of their career veteran who should seriously consider retirement.

I see no reason to spend more than the minimum salary on Millsap and even then I think an open roster might be better than what he could offer. I wouldn't be angry if we signed him but I wouldn't be happy either. It would be more of a meh signing than Elfrid Payton, IMO.
I think it’s interesting you think he’s so washed. He played 20 mins per game on a top four seed team and averaged 9pts on good percentages, almost 5 Rebs, 2 assists. If you project those to per 36 he averaged like 15pts 8rebs 3assists 1 steal and 1 block. He obviously can’t play big minutes anymore, but we don’t need that. We don’t even need the 20 he averaged last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns found a rotation player with Torrey Craig last season.

Again, you are making the argument it must be filled NOW... not me. That's why I mentioned it was a straw man argument.

There are many ways to fill a roster spot including buyouts, free agency, waivers and even trades.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns found a rotation player with Torrey Craig last season.

Again, you are making the argument it must be filled NOW... not me. That's why I mentioned it was a straw man argument.

There are many ways to fill a roster spot including buyouts, free agency, waivers and even trades.

Like I said before, you continuing to bring up the need to fill that spot without specifying when they need to fill it lead me to believe you wanted it filled sooner than later. If you're fine with them waiting, why continue to stress over it not being done at this time?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s interesting you think he’s so washed. He played 20 mins per game on a top four seed team and averaged 9pts on good percentages, almost 5 Rebs, 2 assists. If you project those to per 36 he averaged like 15pts 8rebs 3assists 1 steal and 1 block. He obviously can’t play big minutes anymore, but we don’t need that. We don’t even need the 20 he averaged last season.

His usage went down as the season progressed, with a small up tick after the Murray injury because they lost a lot trading for Gordon, who was his replacement, and then losing Murray hurt their rotations. Post all star break he averaged 7.7 ppg with 4.3 rpg in 18 minutes a game compared to the 24 minutes he was playing as a starter and 10.7 ppg and 5.2 rpg.

He played about 13 minutes a game in the playoffs, 10 per game vs us and sat the entire game 4. He was also held scoreless in game 3 vs us. He looked really bad in our series and comparing the numbers he wasn't really better vs Portland. Its not like we shut down any other bigs in the playoffs. Millsap is one of the only bigs we faced who looked worse against us than his normal stats indicate. That leads me to believe he couldn't do much if he were on this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said before, you continuing to bring up the need to fill that spot without specifying when they need to fill it lead me to believe you wanted it filled sooner than later. If you're fine with them waiting, why continue to stress over it not being done at this time?

I'm not stressing over filling the open roster spot at least until the need becomes more pressing.

I brought it up as something to talk about. There was already a thread for it so I put it here.

What triggered my post is the linked photo. See below.

Seeing reserves Torrey Craig, Dario Saric and Cam Johnson in the photo made me ask, have the Suns replaced Torrey Craig?

I think it's more than a fair question because I don't think they have.

I believe the Suns have left a roster spot open to add a player that can contribute if one becomes available... whenever that may be. Again, I didn't mention it had to be now.

IMO, James Jones did this on purpose to take advantage of an opportunity if one becomes available.

What I wanted to talk about is who that player could be.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not stressing over filling the open roster spot at least until the need becomes more pressing.

I brought it up as something to talk about. There was already a thread for it so I put it here.

What triggered my post is the linked photo. See below.

Seeing reserves Torrey Craig, Dario Saric and Cam Johnson in the photo made me ask, have the Suns replaced Torrey Craig?

I think it's more than a fair question because I don't think they have.

I believe the Suns have left a roster spot open to add a player that can contribute if one becomes available... whenever that may be. Again, I didn't mention it had to be now.

IMO, James Jones did this on purpose to take advantage of an opportunity if one becomes available.

What I wanted to talk about is who that player could be.

That's fine if there's someone you think that can fill that role. The only name I'd be remotely interested that's out there is Patrick Patterson but even he's gotten up there in age so I'm not sure if he'd be the right fit. I'd prefer younger but wouldn't be mad at that signing. I suggested him the other day also.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I was trying to determine why you were bringing it up again. If there's someone you like then suggest them and we can discuss. The offseason is long and it sucks. We're stuck waiting without much to discuss right now

I believe you're similar to me in that you're a Suns fan first as far as you may have an NFL, MLB, and NHL team also but the Suns take priority as far as being the team and sport you're most interested in. So while the other sports are nice, they're not as savory as the Suns and the NBA. The offseason makes for a tough time of waiting, especially since we were spoiled last year with the bubble at this time and a very short offseason. Now that the Suns are good again and came so close to the top of the mountain, its hard to sit back and wait to see they'll bounce back. Hopefully they can reach the peak this time but until they start their training camp its just suffering through silence.