2020 new consoles

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I managed to get my hands on a new PS5. So many things to love about the new console. The new dual sense controller is amazing. However, one thing? The storage is absolutely abysmal. That 1 TB drive only has 667 MB of usable storage. Not to mention that any expandable storage you have or buy will only work with media and PS4 games ONLY. PS5 games will only load on the internal SSD. A few games later and the damn thing is full. Sony should have either had a 2 TB SSD or should have had their SSD expansions available at launch. It's really going to impact how many games you can buy and play until they do.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I managed to get my hands on a new PS5. So many things to love about the new console. The new dual sense controller is amazing. However, one thing? The storage is absolutely abysmal. That 1 TB drive only has 667 MB of usable storage. Not to mention that any expandable storage you have or buy will only work with media and PS4 games ONLY. PS5 games will only load on the internal SSD. A few games later and the damn thing is full. Sony should have either had a 2 TB SSD or should have had their SSD expansions available at launch. It's really going to impact how many games you can buy and play until they do.

This claim was made amout series X games too but so far owning my series x, I have not had one single game not work running off of my external harddrive. The xbox has the expansion SSD ready for purchase but for now I have no use for it. I use the SSD for higher end or more frequent games for now but that is it. If it does become SSD only, my new games will sit there and older stuff on external. Curious where this goes.

Also on xbox you can uninstall and still have the game to pick back up later but of course that is inconvenient due to having to download again and in the age of capped GB internet, downloading the same game a few times might force you to overpay for your internet.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This claim was made amout series X games too but so far owning my series x, I have not had one single game not work running off of my external harddrive. The xbox has the expansion SSD ready for purchase but for now I have no use for it. I use the SSD for higher end or more frequent games for now but that is it. If it does become SSD only, my new games will sit there and older stuff on external. Curious where this goes.

Also on xbox you can uninstall and still have the game to pick back up later but of course that is inconvenient due to having to download again and in the age of capped GB internet, downloading the same game a few times might force you to overpay for your internet.

I think it is the Quick Resume feature that doesn't work, but I haven't tested it yet. It makes sense though.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is the Quick Resume feature that doesn't work, but I haven't tested it yet. It makes sense though.

I have COD and rocket league on the SSD and the quick resume pops up but doesnt work each time I open them. COD you have to quit the game and restart it every time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have COD and rocket league on the SSD and the quick resume pops up but doesnt work each time I open them. COD you have to quit the game and restart it every time.

RL works for me. I don't have COD.

FIFA works about half the time and Cyberpunk works about 90% of the time.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have tested it on multiple games. You can only play PS4 games from the extended drive. It won't even let you transfer PS4 games onto the SSD. I knew that wasn't the case with the Xbox Series X because my buddy has been doing it. I actually never heard that about the Xbox Series X. However, there have been a couple games with "free" PS5 upgrades. It then downloads the PS5 version onto the console. In addition, I did pay $5 bucks for another game upgrade to the PS5 and again, it downloads the game onto the console and it works. However, my other PS4 games cannot be transferred to the SSD and are only playable from my extended drive.

By the way I can't say enough about the PS5 controller. I will tell you that the PS5 controller FINALLY supplanted the XBOX Controller which has been my favorite since the original XBOX. The PS5 controller is simply the most amazing controller I have ever used.

I will pick up the XBOX in a couple months when things die down. It was ridiculously hard to get my hands on the PS5. I don't have the energy to do it again right now.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally coming around to the idea of getting one of the new Xboxes. What's availability like these days? @BigRedRage

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally coming around to the idea of getting one of the new Xboxes. What's availability like these days? @BigRedRage
Funny enough, I've been seeing articles about the series x finally having stock during the last week.

As a casual gamer, unless you want the best loading times and best graphics possible, I recommend the series S. It's at Costco pretty much always, it's 200 less expensive and it works great

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just prepared to chew up through storage no matter what version you get. I bought both the PS5 and XBOX with the disc drives. You definitely want to purchase expanded storage for either and factor that into your budget.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just prepared to chew up through storage no matter what version you get. I bought both the PS5 and XBOX with the disc drives. You definitely want to purchase expanded storage for either and factor that into your budget.
A few things:

Most games will install on a standard backup storage but will not load as fast, etc. Some newer games are supposed to require the primary xbox storage but I have not run into that yet.

I have a 5tb backup with 300 games on it and its still too much backup storage.

You can always uninstall games to reinstall later to make room as well.

My primary storage has like 3 games on it, the rest is on the backup. I have yet to run into a storage problem but I do have the backup and I tend to only have 1-3 primary games at a time that I want specifically on the SSD.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have not done it yet:

I racked up 3 years of xbox live through discounted codes online. Once I had 3 years of live, I clicked on "join xbox gamepass" and it converted me to 3 years of gamepass.

Gamepass is $15 a month, xbox live is like $5 a month. Smoking deal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few things:

Most games will install on a standard backup storage but will not load as fast, etc. Some newer games are supposed to require the primary xbox storage but I have not run into that yet.

I have a 5tb backup with 300 games on it and its still too much backup storage.

You can always uninstall games to reinstall later to make room as well.

My primary storage has like 3 games on it, the rest is on the backup. I have yet to run into a storage problem but I do have the backup and I tend to only have 1-3 primary games at a time that I want specifically on the SSD.
There are ways around it but having unload and upload sounds pretty ridiculous for a modern day console. Unfortunately, SSD hardware is still too expensive. I can't wait for the day when we see the type of storage we are getting on old storage tech. When it comes to the PS5 you definitely see a difference and games are taking advantage of the SSD for sure.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm still searching for our new TV and will likely get serious about this after that's installed. Just wanted to check the temperature out there.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also the series S will run 1080p, vs actual 4k.

It's also going to be my main entertainment hub to access all my streams so I don't mind the extra couple hundy for the enhanced graphics.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have not done it yet:

I racked up 3 years of xbox live through discounted codes online. Once I had 3 years of live, I clicked on "join xbox gamepass" and it converted me to 3 years of gamepass.

Gamepass is $15 a month, xbox live is like $5 a month. Smoking deal.
I did that like 2 years ago. Once my game pass ultimate expires, I need to cancel and do it all over again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also going to be my main entertainment hub to access all my streams so I don't mind the extra couple hundy for the enhanced graphics.
If you are getting a new TV makes zero sense not to get the 4K version if it's going to be your main hub. Would be a perfectly good waste of a 4K TV even though it upscales. Native 4K looks better than "faux K".

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that like 2 years ago. Once my game pass ultimate expires, I need to cancel and do it all over again.
I am hoping that is allowed as I do not want to pay $15 a month, I do not use gamepass anywhere close to enough to be worth it but it sure is nice to have.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you are getting a new TV makes zero sense not to get the 4K version if it's going to be your main hub. Would be a perfectly good waste of a 4K TV even though it upscales. Native 4K looks better than "faux K".
TBH, my new samsung TV, it does it all already so I dont use my xbox for any of that anymore. Blu ray would be the only media aside from gaming for me. The samsung has all the streaming apps built in and runs super fast.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that is allowed as I do not want to pay $15 a month, I do not use gamepass anywhere close to enough to be worth it but it sure is nice to have.
It is. I have seen other people do it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, I've been seeing articles about the series x finally having stock during the last week.

As a casual gamer, unless you want the best loading times and best graphics possible, I recommend the series S. It's at Costco pretty much always, it's 200 less expensive and it works great

Which sites should I be monitoring for incoming stock?

I thought my Xbone lost its disk drive last week and I realized how much I rely on it! I was able to get it back after a full reset and I think the update just borked things up a bit so I'm cool now, but I'm much more motivated on picking up my replacement.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walmart + (if you have the subscription)
Best Buy

These are the only sites I have seen that give the common man a chance to grab one of the consoles before bots do.

My friend has a Walmart + sub and I was able to get another Series X about 6 weeks ago using it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walmart + (if you have the subscription)
Best Buy

These are the only sites I have seen that give the common man a chance to grab one of the consoles before bots do.

My friend has a Walmart + sub and I was able to get another Series X about 6 weeks ago using it.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which sites should I be monitoring for incoming stock?

I thought my Xbone lost its disk drive last week and I realized how much I rely on it! I was able to get it back after a full reset and I think the update just borked things up a bit so I'm cool now, but I'm much more motivated on picking up my replacement.
I'm not sure, I got mine at launch. Costco has an endless supply is series S. If you want the x, I would just check the usual suspects. Worst case search reddit and twitter for anything tracking availability if they are still hard to find.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out that Walmart + is supposed to be getting stock on June 2nd. Last time they had stock, they had all 4 new console iterations. (Series X digital/Disc, PS5 digital/disc)
I'm looking for a 2nd PS5 disc.