Supporting Member
Reaction score
$100/yr or $13/month

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snagged the last one at BB in North Scotts last night! Will pick up today or tomorrow!

Now to find the TV...

Oh, yeah, what external drives do you all recommend for the Xbox?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snagged the last one at BB in North Scotts last night! Will pick up today or tomorrow!

Now to find the TV...

Any external will work and will store most games. Your primary games will sit on the internal and load faster, cleaner, better frame rate, etc.

I don't really find the backup storage necessary anymore but I only play a few games at any given time. If you uninstall a game, its still in your library ready to be installed.

As far as TV goes, I recommend "rtings" as they will give you the msot data on which TVs will work best with a series X from budget TVs to OLED powerhouses.

I personally have an older TV than anything in their current list but it is a samsung QLED and I love it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now to find the TV...

Series S or X?
I'm with BRR in that you can go with just about any external drive will work. However, if you external drives that allow you to play Series X games/Quick Resume etc. you have to go with Microsoft's drive and they aren't cheap. 1TB is around $150 on sale, and 2TB is $250.

As far as TVs go, LG is the best way to go. Unless you are a power user like me and you want to burn in 'ball cam' on your screen with heavy repeated use. Things like stock tickers can do it too, but it is mostly the orange/red gamut that will cause burn in on these TVs quickly. My next heavy gaming TV will likely be a Samsung for that reason. I did just buy a LG CX for my office a few months ago.

It looks like I am about 1-2 years out before gaming projectors will be good enough for me.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, unless you are a power user of many games at a time, the xbox SSD external drive is useless. Just delete a game and it remains ready to install vs spending hundreds for 1/2 extra TB.

The loading time from my $80 5 TB external not from microsoft is 30 seconds vs 5 seconds from the microsoft one. no big deal.

and all the games on the external are not my daily drivers, they are games I might touch again someday or if I have a group over or etc.

probably one of the largest games ever, COD warzone + rocket league and others are on my internal and I always have space for a few more.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Series S or X?
I'm with BRR in that you can go with just about any external drive will work. However, if you external drives that allow you to play Series X games/Quick Resume etc. you have to go with Microsoft's drive and they aren't cheap. 1TB is around $150 on sale, and 2TB is $250.

As far as TVs go, LG is the best way to go. Unless you are a power user like me and you want to burn in 'ball cam' on your screen with heavy repeated use. Things like stock tickers can do it too, but it is mostly the orange/red gamut that will cause burn in on these TVs quickly. My next heavy gaming TV will likely be a Samsung for that reason. I did just buy a LG CX for my office a few months ago.

It looks like I am about 1-2 years out before gaming projectors will be good enough for me.

Series X. Got lucky.

I've got my eye on on the OLED C1 from LG. It's last year's model but appears to support all of the latest bells and whistles that the Series X can throw at it. I'm still gaming on an old Samsung plasma, and haven't suffered any burn in there. I'm hoping my luck continues with OLED tech.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I got the LG and Xbox rolling. Love the 4K. I wasn't expecting that much of a difference. I've been having so much fun playing the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. My new receiver gets here on Sunday. Ended up going with the Yamaha RX-A4A. Should be a beast and will handle just about everything I can throw at it.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I got the LG and Xbox rolling. Love the 4K. I wasn't expecting that much of a difference. I've been having so much fun playing the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. My new receiver gets here on Sunday. Ended up going with the Yamaha RX-A4A. Should be a beast and will handle just about everything I can throw at it.
sounds dope!

I was amazed at how much a diff my new tv made and mine is a QLED

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I have always been partial to the Onkyo brand for low end/mid level receivers, but Yamaha makes a nice one too.

The difference from 1080p to 4k isn't as drastic was SD to HD was, but it is still a big improvement. Especially at close distances, you can see the difference.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I have always been partial to the Onkyo brand for low end/mid level receivers, but Yamaha makes a nice one too.

The difference from 1080p to 4k isn't as drastic was SD to HD was, but it is still a big improvement. Especially at close distances, you can see the difference.

I was very curious what the difference between plasma and OLED black levels would be and let's just say, my concerns were completely eliminated. Black levels matter, people! :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have always preferred Yamaha for music but not video processing. Onkyo, Denton, Marantz are better in that department IMO. In terms of 1080 to 4K? Depends on the size of your TV. Big screens it's very noticeable. So, much that I can't go back to 1080P. It looks blurry to me now. My son has a small 4K TV for his dorm and it that size? Yeah...don't bother with 4K. You won't see a major difference unless your face is right up against the TV.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
With this and posts like BRR's Sonos one if anyone ever wants to talk home theater stuff post away. It's my biggest hobby and I spend way too much time, money, and effort on it. I'm building a new entertainment center now for the new projector that's on order and the screen which has already come in. So if you want to get into the HT weeds...