2020 Draft

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I was frankly surprised he dropped to the second round.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

The second round is where Okuru was projected to go but it's still hard to believe the NBA has drifted that far away from the big man era especially since he has skills. He could surprise. I think he will have an NBA career.

3. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

Oturu is like a slow downed version of Jalen. He will foul way too much in the NBA and will not be able to get his shot off or score one-on-one off high actions.

Worthless pick.

4. Folster

Folster he/haw

Imagine dropping prime Shaq in the NBA right now? Every team had to have an Ostertag or Big Jake to throw at him.

GatorAZ likes this.
  5. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

Shaq would be still be largely impactful on offense. He would benefit from improved shooting/spacing. He would be gameplanned against better and his free throw shooting weakness would be exacerbated in the era of information analysis (i.e. analytics).

His defensive ability would be tested in space a lot more, but he was a great athlete so I don’t think he would be punished AS much. I do think his foul rate would shoot up having to deal with elite guards/wings in isolation 30 feet from the basket, which is probably where he would suffer the greatest loss (MPG).

GatorAZ likes this.
  6. Mainstreet

Shaq would have a field day because no one could guard him.

I think the Jazz are going to give the league a dose of it with Rudy Gobert and Udoka Azubuike.

Teams with at least one athletic big man can do a lot of damage. I'm glad the Suns have Ayton.

7. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

No one could ever guard him. Embiid is certainly bigger and stronger than anyone Shaq played against that wasn’t a zero on offense (and thus unplayable). Jokic is pretty strong.

Are you suggesting the Jazz are going to play RG and UA at the same time? Good luck guarding the ball. UA couldn’t guard the perimeter in any event at the college level.

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I meant even during the predraft process. Good big men still have an impact on the game. I understand the concept of 3pt efficiency but a big that can get you the ball and get high percentage shots should still be at a premium.

9. Mainstreet

I don't see the Jazz playing both of these centers at the same. What I am suggesting, when Gobert goes to the bench, the Jazz have the option of bringing in another rim protector. Getting to the basket may be harder than ever.

10. Mainstreet

I was caught up in the draft process. Yes, I think Oturu should have gone in the first round because he brings a lot to the table and he can hit the 3-point shot. People underestimated what Jokic could do.

11. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

UA will get in foul trouble before he gets off the bus.

12. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

Jokic was an elite passer in Europe. Oturu isn’t really that skilled.

13. Mainstreet

Maybe but the Jazz have been drafting big men with success for as long as I can remember.

14. Mainstreet

Passing is what makes Jokic so special.

I'm not comparing the two players in this regard. However, there is a reason Jokic fell to the second round. He was not very athletic.

Oturu has skills as well and he is not less athletic. He might even be more athletic. There is a chance for him to become an NBA player in his own right.

15. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

It feels like the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

This guy can defend, rebound, block and be a physical presence in the post on D. He also has a soft touch from 3, can put the ball down and drive to the basket, and is athletic enough to finish around the rim.

He is the literal definition of low risk/high reward as a 2nd rounder. I think a lot of teams will regret passing on him.