2020 Draft

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Yeah, I know what you mean.

The thing is I can live with bad picks, what I can't stand is removing your ability to make picks simply because you are incompetent.

2. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

I know over my lifetime I have read stories about coaches and GMs and drafts, and when they have tried to get cute, and then miss out on players they wanted, both moving down or not moving up because it was too high. The gist of all those stories, is they say if the guy you want is available, just pull the trigger and do it. This guys skill set fits our team. We need a PF that can rebound, shot block and play behind the three point line. I think it was a good move. What if we move down and Smith is gone? Then what do you do? Just pick the guy you want and be done with it!

3. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Getting cute and missing out on the guy you really want is incompetence. What JJ did was playing it really really safe.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  4. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I guess you have drunk the James Jones Kool Aide.

NOBODY was taking him before 14 except James Jones - that's why everyone says it was a bad pick. All these NBA reporters have contacts with the teams - and nobody is saying that was a good time to take him.

5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

So what? The difference between Smith and Haliburton, and really anyone before pick #20 is negligible at best. People are making such a big deal about this being a reach. It's certainly not as big a reach as Cam Johnson was last season.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  6. Proximo

Proximo Registered

You don't know that.

There are many late first rounders that turn into starters, and some into all-stars. But as the saying goes you can't win if you don't play.

7. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

If it's such a crapshoot then, why can't Jalen Smith be one of those guys who turn into all-stars? You can't apply rules to everyone EXCEPT who James Jones drafts, simply because you don't like James Jones.

95pro likes this.
  8. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical

Except reports have come out after the draft that Smith was very high on multiple team's boards.

It's easy for you to say that because he wasn't very high on most mocks (14th on the last ESPN mock btw) that he was certainly going to be there later, but you have no way to know that.

Even after Cam was picked it came out that at least Detroit (maybe others, but not sure) was very interested in taking Cam and it appeared that he was not going to go as late as people speculated.

It's my understanding that Smith was top 5 on the Suns board and if that is true he was probably easily their top guy remaining and you don't potentially lose that just to pick up pick 30 (which happens to also be the least desirable pick in the draft BTW).

Mainstreet likes this.
  9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I get that. I think he's just still really green as a GM and probably somewhat risk averse to certain things in the draft.

10. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I would have drafted Tyrell Terry at 30 if I made that Boston trade. :D

11. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical

This may well be true, but it seems like a silly risk to potentially lose your top guy to pick up the 30th pick. Especially in what many consider to have been a pretty weak draft.

12. Proximo

Proximo Registered

It's not that simple.

You have to add the probability the value of the 30th pick + your second choice is better than getting Smith by himself. It's almost guaranteed it is because nobody can accurately predict how well these guys will do.

Simply giving yourself 2 chances instead of 1 has a lot of value.

13. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

The Ringer had him going to the Pelicans at 13 more often than not.

14. cheesebeef

true. it also seems really narrow minded that there was only ONE player they liked at that position.

as far as the "he was ranked 5th on our board"... that's just GM speak for defending or praising any pick they make. means as much as the rumors that we could have traded back, IMO.

we'll never know. i just hope the kid sticks. if he can contribute right away at a Cam Johnson level, that's a good rotation big and a solid pick, IMO.

15. cheesebeef

that would seem to be a weird spot for him, no? They already have a stable of Ingram, Zion and Jaxson Hayes up front manning the 4/5 positions.