2020 Cap Space & Implications

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by JosiahLee, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

It is a supply and demand world. He will be the best FA LT next year under 30. The 16th highest paid LT contract at this point in time averages 10 mil and change.

2 years ago Charles Leno signed a 4yr, 37 mil ext with the Bears. Inflate that two years and you can probably expect that contract to cost 44.4 mil next offseason. That equates to 11.1 mil per year.

JosiahLee likes this.
  2. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

NFL Teams look different every year. It's just the way things are now with Free Agency.

3. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Uh,huhuhuhuhuh

Cap space and draft capital does not mean diddly-squat if the GM cannot identify talent.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

JosiahLee likes this.
  4. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

Agree 100%. Hump will get paid and we should do our best to keep him. I bet he gets 80 mill if he gets past the exclusive signing period. Maybe even 90. And yes...... That would be "Overpaid".

But only the middle of the pack OT's make it to free agency. the top ones get paid and the middle tier ones get overpaid.

5. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

But what can they do, really? Are they going to hire 4 new starting offensive linemen? They don't have the money to do that. Who knows what they think about Mason Cole right now (although at least he's dressing for game day). What are their starting needs going to look like?

20% probability a safety (Swearinger is scheduled fore Free Agency)
    80% probability an offensive tackle (Gilbert and Humphries are scheduled for free agency)
    60% probability of a defensive end (Gunter is scheduled for free agency)
    80% probability of a rush end (Cassius and Suggs are scheduled for free agency)
    20% probability of an outside receiver

You probably can't improve on Reddick right now unless you hit on a mid-round draft pick.

Jetstream Green likes this.
  6. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Subtract 6m from next years cap due to dead money when we cut Pugh.

7. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Best pass rusher they can get.

At least one Defensive End

Melvin Gordon seems like a good idea to me, if David does not get his act together real soon, of course a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a back could work too.

They will spend some money on tackle, even if it is just for a backup.

I expect them to go after a guard because Pugh is terrible.

I don't think they will go after a safety, I think one of the Thompsons will be starting next year.

8. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

If i am looking at the expiring contracts and the roster as a hole, here is what I see.

Our interior OL stays pretty much the same. My guess is that they let Shipley walk and have a battle between Galliard and Cole at C.

OT is a re-design unless one of the fringe guys we signed develops significantly. The only real option that prevents an overhaul is re-signing DJ Humphries to a long term deal. I think Keim will want to due to the narrative regarding his 1st round draft history, and I won't be shocked if it happens in-season.

RB will have some natural turnover, but not much.

WR will be pretty stable with the only real question being Fitzgerald. The only WR I see us adding is a 1st rounder or trading for a top end guy. WRs 2-7 are pretty much set.

TE will need players. The quality of those depends on how creative Kliff wants to be. I think they would be a great asset to his scheme.

QB is probably stagnant as they will likely re-sign Hundley.

DE will need more bodies and we will likely try to find a developmental NT.

OLB is the same. Reed, Marsh and Suggs will be gone with very little behind them to develop. I could see them making a run at Whitney Mercilus, Stephen Weatherly or bringing back Markus Golden. This is probably a spot where they spend.

ILB - I expect it stays the same with only bottom level FA or mid to late draft picks.

CB - I hope we see some stability. I would bring back Brock as he has played well.

S - Swearinger is probably gone but it is a thin S FA class. This is another candidate for a highly drafted position, but they might also roll with Baker and the Thompson's and add a cheap vet. The other option would be if Joseph pushed hard to add Justin Simmons though I think he is more of a FS so that would require a Baker move.

Our guys who I think we re-sign

QB - Brett Hundley
    OL - Max Garcia
    WR - Larry Fitzgerald
    OL - DJ Humphries
    CB - Tramaine Brock
    DL - Either Gunter or Bullard
    All of our RFAs.

JosiahLee and Jetstream Green like this.
  9. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

We won't.

10. JosiahLee

JosiahLee Registered

I’ve never believed this will be Larry’s last year.

11. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Uh,huhuhuhuhuh

Agreed.

Actually have to draft a ILB in the middle rounds to have a chance to hit.

Keim doesn't draft ILBers

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

12. gimpy

gimpy Registered

With BA gone, I think that SK's drafts will substantially improve. I think BA had a lot more influence on the draft than what we realize. :)

PACardsFan likes this.