2019 Offseason

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Today is Tuesday Nov. 5th and Fox Sports Arizona will be airing a
program tonight called D-backs 2020 Vision from 6-6:30 PM with
perhaps some insight about next season, if you want to catch it.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/212...ks-offseason-questions-as-free-agency-begins/

Good article that lays out every scenario that could play out for ARZ this offseason. Second article I've read this week mentioning Kole Calhoun & Avisail Garcia as OF options. Starlin Castro would be intriguing at 2B if we keep Escobar at 3B. Only part of article I disagree with is the mention that we do not need SP. We need a front line guy like Bumgardner IMO as Ray is not the one to lead the rotation.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...mondbacks-predictions-yasiel-puig/2509586001/

AZ Central consolidated a list of predictions for ARZ through various sites. A lot of predictions for the mid level guys like Puig, Calhoun, Holt, Chisek & the Japanese CF, Akiyama. Makes sense as I don't think Hazen breaks the bank but predictions for Bumgardner are that he won't get more than $20M a year due to the mileage on his arm. If you can get Bumgardner for less than $25M a year I would consider it since he would provide you an ace without 1) breaking the bank like Greinke & 2) not giving up legit prospects for one.

Get Bumgardner and fill out the rest of your holes with Calhoun / Puig, Starlin Castro, Josh Lindblom & Daniel Hudson. Move Bradley to closer and this team looks good going into next year.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...mondbacks-predictions-yasiel-puig/2509586001/

AZ Central consolidated a list of predictions for ARZ through various sites. A lot of predictions for the mid level guys like Puig, Calhoun, Holt, Chisek & the Japanese CF, Akiyama. Makes sense as I don't think Hazen breaks the bank but predictions for Bumgardner are that he won't get more than $20M a year due to the mileage on his arm. If you can get Bumgardner for less than $25M a year I would consider it since he would provide you an ace without 1) breaking the bank like Greinke & 2) not giving up legit prospects for one.

Get Bumgardner and fill out the rest of your holes with Calhoun / Puig, Starlin Castro, Josh Lindblom & Daniel Hudson. Move Bradley to closer and this team looks good going into next year.

They will not get MadBum and quite frankly I don't want him at this point. While the Giants haven't been good he seems to be trending the wrong direction as well.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Move Bradley to closer and this team looks good going into next year.
After Archie was dropped from the 7-8-9 rotation, he was moved to closer out of
desperation near the end of the season.

And he made every appearance an adventure, usually putting two runners on base.

He has a personality. And a beard. But that shouldn't decide his role in the bullpen.

I can see showing loyalty to Archie by going back to 7th inning reliever. Archie
needs something that a skilled closer does not. A safety net!

And, based upon last season, we need a new setup man, as well. With Archie, if
he earns it, as one of four covering the 7-8-9 rotation all season long (with Archie
7 or, if really necessary, 8 on occasion).

I would say that, as things stand now, the D-backs pitching staff look does not
look good.

Especially with an unproven new Pitching Coach serving as Torey's go-fer.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand)
11/8/19, 4:05 PM
Josh Donaldson is already (and predictably) a hot name on the free-agent market. The Rangers and Phillies are among the teams that have interest in the third baseman, who put together a very strong 2019 season (37 HR, .900 OPS) in Atlanta.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman)
11/9/19, 11:29 AM
Word is, Marcell Ozuna very unlikely to take the $17.8M qualifying offer. Middle of order hitter believed to have nice market. Had been seen as one of only maybe 3-4 players of the 10 to receive the offer with even remote chance to accept the QO.