2019 Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by LVG, Jan 27, 2020.

1. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

That's why Trump's talk about regional quarantines is just plain old stupid.

2,000 dead today. 4,000 dead by Monday-Tuesday. 8,000 dead by Wednesday-Friday. And 16,000 dead by Friday-Monday week after. Hopefully not, but given how some states (looking at you, Florida) refuse to shut down all non-essential businesses (at least), that appears to be the direction where we are heading.

Russ Smith likes this.
  2. DWKB

DWKB Registered

See if you can pick out the high EV swing state:

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

I'd say this would finally make folks who buried their head in the sand back in 2016 see the light, but the same people are STILL making excuses (oh... Trump's just a dick!), trying to find the rosiest (Ben Shapiro BS) outcome... counting to try and rationalize to themselves that we are in this mess because of the dumbest decision of all time.

And I don't care if you voted for Trump or just threw you voted for 3rd Party and completely pissed your vote away because you couldn't fathom voting for a democrat or a woman. Either of those actions accomplished the same thing. They put Trump in power.

But here's the thing... I wouldn't totally condemn the above except for the fact that some of them are STILL PUSHING HIS AGENDA, making excuses, etc. Call me a jerk or whatever you will, but the people that keep making excuses for Trump are pathetic and are going to help keep us in a perpetual state of disaster.

4. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

What state does Trump now call home? Hmmm, I wonder.

5. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

So Trump sent us ventilator:

6. LoyaltyisaCurse

Russ Smith, Luciano and Kel Varnsen like this.
  7. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

There really are no words for Trump. An absolute sociopath adored by the white transhionalist 38%. They deserve whatever happens to them.

8. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker

LVG likes this.
  9. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. LoyaltyisaCurse

Cases in the immediate area where I live as of 3/28:

4 cases in Chatsworth
    8 cases in Granada Hills
    3 cases in Canoga Park
    8 cases in Northridge
    3 cases in Porter Ranch
    11 cases in Reseda
    8 cases in Winnetka
    18 cases in Woodland Hills

11. LoyaltyisaCurse

Cases in the immediate area where I work as of 3/28:

Burbank: 17
    Encino: 26
    North Hollywood: 26
    Sherman Oaks: 25
    Studio City: 10
    Sun Valley: 5
    Valley Village: 14
    Van Nuys: 6

12. LoyaltyisaCurse

13. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Governor Cuomo Announces Distribution of Health Care Supplies to New York City, Long Island and Westchester Hospitals
    MARCH 24, 2020
    Albany, NY

"We're also trying all the new drug therapies. The hydroxychloroquine, which the president speaks about and is optimistic about. We hope for optimistic results, also. We're actually starting that today. The president and the FDA accelerated that drug coming to New York so the hospitals will start using that drug today.

The FDA also authorized an experimental procedure by the New York State Department of Health where the Department of Health actually takes plasma from people who are infected who have the antibodies and will try putting that plasma into a person who is still struggling with the disease hoping that the antibodies make a difference.

We're also pursuing a new level of testing which will test people's blood to see if they have antibodies for coronavirus which means they may had been infected and resolved and never knew it
    , but if you had the coronavirus and resolved you now have an immunity to the coronavirus for some period of time most experts suggest it's a significant amount of time.

That would be very important for us to know because then healthcare workers that could go back to work, there are workers that could return back to the private sector.

What do I mean by that? Our public health strategy was a blunt instrument. What we said at a moment of crisis is isolate everyone. Close the schools, close the colleges, send everyone home, isolate everybody in their home. In truth, that was not the most refined public strategy. Why? Because it wasn't even smart, frankly, to isolate younger people with older people.

But, at that moment we didn't have the knowledge, we needed to act, that's what we did. You can now start to refine that public health strategy. You can start to say, look, the lower risk individuals do not need to be quarantined and they shouldn't be quarantined with an older who it may be transferring to.

People who are recovered, you test them, you test the antibodies, you find out that they resolved themselves of the virus.
    I believe once we get that test you're going to find hundreds of thousands of people who have had the coronavirus and resolved. Once they're resolved, they can go back to work.

Develop that test, it's in testing now, once they're resolved let them go back to work. Let the younger people go back to work. Let the recovered people go back to work. It's even better for the older, vulnerable people who you're trying to protect. And then ramp up the economy with those individuals."

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/vi...-covid-19-pandemic-governor-cuomo-announces-1

mojorizen7 and Russ Smith like this.
  14. LoyaltyisaCurse

Russ Smith likes this.
  15. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

So, the national stockpile did try to develop and buy 40,000 additional low cost ventilators back in the early 2010’s.

Contract was awarded, small company was all excited about it and on track to deliver in 2013. Then small company was bought up by a bigger company that made ventilators too (the expensive ones) who then 1) demanded a higher price per ventilator; then 2) begged to be let out of the contract because (it is theorized) they didn’t want a low cost ventilator to compete with their more profitable ventilators.

Which caused the USG to start over.

So, yea capitalism!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/...or-shortage.html?referringSource=articleShare

nashman and Russ Smith like this.