2019 Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by LVG, Jan 27, 2020.

1. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

I got the last pair of N95 masks at Lowes today.

2. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

Yeah. If there's a hot spot in the US, then we'll start seeing shelf clearing.

3. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Heartless sonsofbitches
    ------------------------------------------------

Trump's coronavirus funding masterplan: Transfer $37 M from Low Income Home Energy Assistance Prog.

House Democrats tell us they are outraged by one aspect of the White House response in particular: The White House appears to have informed Democrats that they want to fund the emergency response in part by taking money from a program that funds low-income home heating assistance.

A document that the Trump administration sent to Congress, which we have seen, indicates that the administration is transferring $37 million to emergency funding for the coronavirus response from the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, which funds heating for poor families.

Democrats see this as provoking budgetary bickering and unnecessary political friction at a time when a clean emergency appropriation could easily avoid both.

“After dithering for weeks as the coronavirus spread around the world, the Trump administration has now decided to pay for its belated response by cutting funding for heating assistance for low-income families,” Evan Hollander, a spokesman for House Appropriations Committee Democrats, told us in a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ronavirus-an-unnecessary-battle-over-funding/

4. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Hmmmm....Being from hearty Amish stock and coming from CA and keeping a well-stocked earthquake kit I’m amazingly well prepared.

But I had NO idea “vomit kits” were a thing. Do the preppers plan on having a problem with projectile-vomiters in the basement with them and no experience cleaning it up?

5. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

To predict what Republicans will do in a given situation, ask yourself "What would an ******* do?" Then think of something much worse and that will be the answer.

elindholm, Russ Smith and AzStevenCal like this.
  6. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Dumbass Drumpf....

[​IMG]

Published in 1995

7. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

FWIW, My boss’s wife is good friends with an entomologist at the CDC and she told me this evening the entomologist recommended to her last night to stock up on at least two weeks worth of food (rice, beans, canned goods, water) inccase quarantined at your own house, to get the e95 rated masks (not sure if that’s what it’s called), and to avoid public transportation as much as possible.

8. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

I take it Tamiflu has no effect on this virus?

9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

so... previously, during SARS/EBOLA outbreaks, I never really bought into the crisis at large. So why does this feel more dangerous? Is it more dangerous or does it feel that way because we have incompetence reigning at the top of our country and basically lying dictators everywhere else around the world so we have no idea how bad this could really be? Or is that the real reason it's going to be more dangerous?

I've NEVER thought of buying a mask in my life when this stuff happened in the past and I'm on Amazon right now looking them up.

Rivercard and LoyaltyisaCurse like this.
  10. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

Ebola is still a lot deadlier than this virus in general. But Ebola requires bodily fluids to move from host to host. It is also so deadly that it self-contains itself. I also remember that SARS wasn't contagious until the patient showed symptoms, which is why part of the (failed) testing for Novel was for elevated body temps, which they found out too late wasn't a great detector for this particular virus.

As far as I've read: Novel/Covid-19 not only spreads through aerial means, it is also very subversive. It is spreadable by someone who otherwise won't or will ever show any symptoms, or someone who won't show symptoms for days, even up to a couple of weeks. Also since Novel is an RNA virus, it is also highly mutable like the flu, so you'll basically have to keep adapting the vaccine for it as it mutates every season.

I already have masks for other reasons, but I just ordered a pack of 50 N95-rated masks for friends and family, just in case.

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Holy crap they’re almost out on amazon. Nuts!

12. LVG

LVG Your Friendly Neighborhood P&R Mod Contributor

Home depot or Lowe’s.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  13. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

I literally had another order of masks in my Amazon cart. I took like two minutes, if that, to check out other things, and my cart was empty!

14. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

I was just looking at that, it's crazy. I think I'll hit a hardware store tomorrow to be safe.

It's also looking like it would be a good idea to get a bit of water and food just in case. I wouldn't go crazy with the prepper kits but load up on stuff you'd normally eat that has a decent shelf life to it. If nothing happens at least you have a bunch of groceries for awhile.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence with stocking or another sign but I was at the Scottsdale Costco tonight and went to grab a case of bottle water like I normally do. Usually there's a few pallets of it. Tonight there was only one and it was less than half full. I don't know if they were having a run on it it so grabbed a couple extra just in case.

It looks like being an introvert and not liking to leave the house might finally be to my advantage. :)

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Home Depot sold out

LVG likes this.