2019 MLB Draft (June 3rd - June 5th)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diamondbacks have 4 of the first 34 picks, 7 of the first 75 picks plus the 93rd pick.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reasons for extra picks:

• 26th overall: Compensation for failing to sign 2018 first rounder Matt McLain.
  • 33rd overall: Compensation for losing Patrick Corbin to free agency.
  • 34th overall: Compensation for losing A.J. Pollock to free agency.
  • 74th overall: Their own Competitive Balance Round B pick.
  • 75th overall: The Cardinals' Competitive Balance Round B Pick (acquired in Paul Goldschmidt trade).

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CBS Mock

DIAMONDBACKS
Pick: RHP Quinn Priester, Cary-Grove HS (Illinois)

Thanks to their extra picks and large bonus pool, the D-Backs are in position to do big things on draft day. Going underslot here and spending big on players other teams can't afford with picks 26, 33, and 34 is a distinct possibility. As such, I'm giving them Priester, a legitimate middle of the first round talent who might be more willing to sign below slot than other players still on the board. This is the first pick in what will be a very busy draft day for Arizona.

Previous pick: Priester

Pick: OF Corbin Carroll, Lakeside HS (Washington)

We've reached the "go bonkers" portion of the draft for the D-Backs. They have all those extra picks and all that bonus pool money to spend. Amateur scouting director Deric Ladnier must be champing at the bit for draft day. On talent, Carroll could go into the top 10-15 picks somewhere as an incredibly advanced prep hitter with speed and top notch center field defense. It might take a top 10 bonus ($5 million or so) to buy him away from UCLA though, and the D-Backs are one of the few teams that can pay him that bonus at this point in the draft.

Arizona does not have another pick in our mock draft but I want to note that, even after paying Carroll a big bonus, they will have the wherewithal to pay New Jersey high school righty Jack Leiter with one of their two supplemental first-round picks. Jack is the son of longtime big leaguer Al Leiter and he's one of the best and most advanced prep pitchers in the draft class. It is expected to take a massive bonus to buy him away from Vanderbilt, however. The D-Backs have the picks and bonus pool to swing it.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Unless a position player that is high on the board drops for some reason, I am always a fan of just loading up on starting pitchers.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ar-old-prospect-turning-mlb-draft-upside-down

Passan: How a 19-year-old prospect is turning the MLB draft upside down
For years, opponents of Major League Baseball's draft who believed it stifled the true value of players have hypothesized about ways to avoid its constraints. Nineteen-year-old Carter Stewart is ready to test the viability of an alternative -- and travel more than 7,500 miles from his Florida home to do it.

Stewart is in agreement on a six-year contract worth more than $7 million with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of Japan's Pacific League, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN. Stewart was the No. 8 overall pick in last year's MLB draft but didn't sign after the Atlanta Braves, who believed he was injured, offered him a signing bonus well under the $4.98 million slot value of the pick -- around $2 million. Stewart went to junior college instead and was expected to go early in the second round of this year's draft -- and receive an offer of less than $2 million.

Instead, he agreed to a groundbreaking contract with the Hawks, who have won four of the past five Japan Series. Stewart is expected to finalize the deal by the end of May. Not only does Stewart stand to make more money during his six years in Japan than he would have with an MLB organization, he could potentially return to the United States as a 25-year-old free agent allowed to sign a long-term contract with any of MLB's 30 teams.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Hope they've done their homework. Thing is we won't know for 3 years.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Spending power could prove pivotal for Diamondbacks’ draft
With a little more than $16 million to spend, the Diamondbacks have the largest draft bonus pool in baseball, meaning they have a chance to make waves when the draft gets underway on Monday night.

How they plan to wield that clout is something that’s to be determined, Assistant General Manager Amiel Sawdaye said.

“I can’t tell you that,” Sawdaye said on Sunday. “And not that I can’t tell you for strategy purposes, I can’t tell you because I don’t know. I think a lot of it just depends on how the board plays out. You can play it straight and still have a really good draft. You can have guys fall that you don’t anticipate falling and have to spend more money to sign those players, then end up doing different things later. It’s tough to tell right now.”
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...raft-spending-power-could-pivotal/1323889001/

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ronin , any good sites that have pre-draft coverage?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MLB Mock:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-on-june-2

16. D-backs: Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside HS (Seattle)

There’s a solid chance Carroll will be gone by this pick, and a good chance the D-backs will be thrilled if he’s available. Allan could be an option should they decide to go high school arm here.

26. D-backs: Brett Baty, 3B, Lake Travis HS (Austin, Texas)

(Compensation for failure to sign 2018 first-rounder Matt McLain)

Baty’s name comes up in a number of spots much higher than this. Because of his age (19 1/2), he is one of the tougher players to place, but the D-backs, with their extra picks, might be willing to buck the model (that doesn’t like older high school players) and take the chance on his bat.

33. D-backs: Braden Shewmake, SS, Texas A&M

(Compensation for loss of free agent Patrick Corbin)

Arizona could go with a safer player like Shewmake, or a high school player like Matthew Lugo, in order to save money so they can go after…

34. D-backs: Jack Leiter, RHP, Delbarton Prep (Morristown, N.J.)

(Compensation for loss of free agent A.J. Pollock)

Leiter sounds like he’s not signable, with a very strong commitment to Vanderbilt. But if anyone can afford to meet what is a high asking price, it’s the D-backs, with all of their extra picks.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CBS Mock:

You must be registered for see images

DIAMONDBACKS

Pick: 3B Josh Jung, Texas Tech

The Diamondbacks have a ton of extra picks this year and thus baseball's largest bonus pool. Here are all seven -- seven! -- picks Arizona holds Monday:

• 16th overall: The D-Backs' first rounder.
  • 26th overall: Compensation for failing to sign 2018 first rounder Matt McLain.
  • 33rd overall: Compensation for losing Patrick Corbin to free agency.
  • 34th overall: Compensation for losing A.J. Pollock to free agency.
  • 56th overall: The D-Backs' second rounder.
  • 74th overall: Their own competitive balance round B pick.
  • 75th overall: The Cardinals' competitive balance round B Pick (acquired in the Paul Goldschmidt trade).
"I think having the number of picks we have helps us artificially infuse a volume of talent into the organization that we wouldn't be able to do in just a normal, traditional draft," GM Mike Hazen told MLB.com's Steve Gilbert recently. "I think this helps with continuing to build our organization quite a bit."

Because they have so many extra picks, the D-Backs have cast a very wide net this spring, and it's basically impossible to pin down who they're targeting with each specific pick. The smart money is on Arizona diversifying a bit (some college, some high school, etc.) with a few big money, shoot for the moon picks mixed in.

The guess here -- and I stress this is a big guess in a post full of big guesses -- is the D-Backs will use this pick on a college player they don't expect to be on the board with their next pick. Jung fits. He's a solid all-around player who had a chance to climb into the top 10 picks this year, but was merely very good rather than excellent.

If the D-Backs do go college player here, the smart money is on it being an underslot deal that allows them to spend big on other players later. It could be Arizona will set a bonus number for this pick, shop it around, and select whoever agrees it it. Technically against the rules! But it happens. Like, all the time.

First mock draft pick: RHP Quinn Priester, Cary-Grove HS (Illinois)
Second mock draft pick: Priester

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

DIAMONDBACKS

Pick: OF Corbin Carroll, Lakeside HS (Washington)

Arizona has this pick plus two of the next eight picks. They already have a solid college bat in Jung in their pocket from earlier in the mock draft, and this feels like an appropriate spot to go big. Carroll has the hit tool and center field chops to go in the top 8-12 picks somewhere, but he's an older high school kid (19 in August), and they have a way of sliding down the draft. The D-Backs can pay him (maybe even overpay him a bit if he really leverages his UCLA commitment) and bet on the potential two-way impact.

First mock draft pick: RHP Jack Leiter, Delbarton HS (New Jersey)
Second mock draft pick: Carroll

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far mirroring MLB Network Mock through 4 picks

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn - two players I wanted already off the board (Josh Jung went 8 to Texas, Alek Manoah went 11 to Toronto

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mets take Brett Baty at 12 - a player that some had projected to the Dbacks at 26

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Looks like there will be a handful of top pitchers to choose from (Rutledge, Allan, Thompson). If we go positional player I like Carroll (cf).

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks do pick:

16. D-backs: Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside HS (Seattle)

There’s a solid chance Carroll will be gone by this pick, and a good chance the D-backs will be thrilled if he’s available. Allan could be an option should they decide to go high school arm here.