2019 Free Agency

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

He is good enough to warrant fans wanting him on their team, but he has been vastly overrated IMO. He is a high usage guy who is an inefficient scorer, a mediocre facilitator and at best a mediocre defender. I still suspect that Booker and Russell would have been a pretty good duo offensively as they would share the PG duties, but overall he wasn't a great fit, especially at $29m per.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

But that’s just it, he was a young guy in bad situations. But he was also a very high pick for a reason. If the switch finally flipped for him then $29M is market for him. Now we don’t know if his growth will keep, but there are also always risks with every signing. For instance I don’t think anyone saw anything but a “safe” signing of ariza. No one saw him devolving into a lockerroom issue. And yet it happened.

3. CardsSunsDbacks

Everything I said about him was who he was last year. I am not even considering his first 3 years in the league where he was actually a pretty poor player. I am somewhat relieved that it will be someone else that will spend $29m/year to find out. The idea of getting him was certainly intriguing, but it was certainly a gamble for the amount of money we would be sinking into his contract.

4. Johninromania

Johninromania Rookie

No news on that meeting from last night with Oubre?

5. mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd Registered User

Man what a crummy offseason horrible draft night

No Russell and rubio probably our only pickup....

I can imagine Booker is feeling frustrated now

6. CardsSunsDbacks

Yeah he must be real frustrated that he is actually going to have an NBA rotation around him next season. Not to mention an actual NBA PG. Sounds terrible...

Superbone, Hoop Head and SirStefan32 like this.
  7. mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd Registered User

Well i like rubio and hope he succeds just had my hopes up a but high hoping for russel

Just hoping suns can resign obure

8. Johninromania

Johninromania Rookie

The problem with this team wasn’t necessarily talent. Most of the problems are associated with poor coaching, lack of leadership and most importantly it didn’t have a true point guard. This team is way more balanced and still young and has added a whole bunch of leadership and high IQ hustle players. We already have are two Stars in Ayton and Booker. You can’t underestimate what Rubio can do for this team. I’m fully expecting a team that can come close to .500 club next year.

Superbone, Yuma and mjb21aztd like this.
  9. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

Gambo was on the morning show and said he should get news on it within the hour.

10. Johninromania

Johninromania Rookie

Thanks man, I’m living in Romania now. It’s a pain to get info from back home.

11. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

That's a matter of perspective. I think the Suns had a very solid offseason, assuming they sign Oubre.

Outgoing is one NBA player who had multiple mystery injuries and tends to miss a lot of time.
    Incoming are three legitimate NBA-level players with playoff experience (Baynes, Saric, and Rubio.) Two of them are starters at the two positions of need. Additionally, they got two older rookies with very specific skills who should be able to contribute something right away. Johnson can flat-out shoot, and Jerome can pass and shoot. If I were Booker, I would be thrilled with how the offseason turned out.

At PG, Rubio and Johnson are both good defenders with significant NBA experience, including some playoff experience. Then you have Jerome, an older rookie with a lot of experience in college and solid skills that usually translate to the NBA.

At SG, they still have Booker. Bridges should be improved as well.

At SF, they'll have Oubre and Bridges, along with some three-point shooting from an older rookie who is probably the best shooter in this draft class.

At 4, they are still pretty thin, but they have a starter now who is a legitimate NBA player and has been to playoffs.

At 5, they keep Ayton and replace Holmes with Baynes. Holmes was more athletic, but Baynes is much stronger and can even hit an open 3.

That's eight legitimate NBA players to go along with two older rookies (lower ceiling, but higher floor than average), and that doesn't even include Melton, Okobo, and Jackson. I assume one or two of them are gonna get traded.

Suns needed depth- actual NBA players, they needed starting PG and PF, and they needed shooting and passing. They've literally managed to fill all those needs.

jlove, Hoop Head and mjb21aztd like this.
  12. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Yeah that is just super small though. I guess if you never miss you don't need to rebound.

13. Johninromania

Johninromania Rookie

Am I the only one that likes Tyler Johnson as the sixth man. I think he is a above average player, Nate McMillan type skill set.

14. CardsSunsDbacks

I get that for sure. I personally think Russell is being overrated a bit around here though. He is a pretty inefficient scorer (just a 53% TS% last year), decent facilitator and a mediocre defender at best. More importantly however is that I don't think he was a great fit for the Suns current roster nor for the direction that the team is trying to move in.

Rubio for instance is a very good passer and a good defender, but he is also an experienced veteran that will help develop the young core. Add to that the fact that the Suns didn't need to dump solid role players like Oubre or Tyler in order to make room for him and it is another positive for the direction the team took. Signing Rubio gives them some things that they sorely lacked while also keeping as much depth intact as possible.

Hoop Head and mjb21aztd like this.
  15. taz02

taz02 Registered

We would all like him as a 6th if he was making 6m instead of 19