2019 4th round pick is Hakeem Butler WR

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Cutting Butler would be a disaster.

Passed up Chauncey Gardner Johnson, Maxx Crosby, Hunter Renfrow and Darius Slayton for him.
It really hurts. But you could say this for every round/every team that picked a bust in said rounds. Half of the 1st and 2nd round picks are basically busts. Hakeem Butler was deemed a 1st round prospect by lots of pundits and some scouts. There was no way he would slip past the 2nd. If we didn't pick Isabella, I'd have screamed at the TV that we should draft Butler in the 3rd. Hence I thought Butler would've been the better pick between Isabella and Metcalf.

Bottom line, I hate hindsight when it comes to draft. There are just too many unknowns in the evaluation. Scouts and GMs have been scouting players their whole life. They had enough time to reflect how prospects turned out in the pros in hindsight. Yet they still get it wrong about half of the time, if not more. Forum is here to know it better after all, but still I hate draft-hindsight. I'd pick Butler in the 4th all over again.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is what Stout is referring to...

Yesterday, PFN NFL Insider Tony Pauline discussed the frustration that has been brewing for some time.

“Last fall I was told the team was not happy with their fourth-round pick from the 2019 draft and the Cardinals were relieved they had to place him on injured reserve rather than face the embarrassment of cutting him before the regular season. I heard further confirmation of this during the Scouting Combine three weeks ago.”

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/fantasy-football-impact-free-agency-for-arizona-cardinals/

It doesn’t necessarily say work ethic but if the rumor is true something about him didn’t sit well with the team.

Thanks, Zeno!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It really hurts. But you could say this for every round/every team that picked a bust in said rounds. Half of the 1st and 2nd round picks are basically busts. Hakeem Butler was deemed a 1st round prospect by lots of pundits and some scouts. There was no way he would slip past the 2nd. If we didn't pick Isabella, I'd have screamed at the TV that we should draft Butler in the 3rd. Hence I thought Butler would've been the better pick between Isabella and Metcalf.

Bottom line, I hate hindsight when it comes to draft. There are just too many unknowns in the evaluation. Scouts and GMs have been scouting players their whole life. They had enough time to reflect how prospects turned out in the pros in hindsight. Yet they still get it wrong about half of the time, if not more. Forum is here to know it better after all, but still I hate draft-hindsight. I'd pick Butler in the 4th all over again.
Yea, he has a habit of doing that.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Missing on a RB when you draft a LB is one thing but missing on a LB vs another LB that was selected in the same range is huge.

Think about taking Nkemdiche at 29 vs Chris Jones who got picked 8 slots later. That is a huge miss from a scouting/general manager standpoint.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Missing on a RB when you draft a LB is one thing but missing on a LB vs another LB that was selected in the same range is huge.

Think about taking Nkemdiche at 29 vs Chris Jones who got picked 8 slots later. That is a huge miss from a scouting/general manager standpoint.
It's huge after it happens, but at that day with the information the FO and we and everyone else had, Nkemdiche was the better selection.

Nkemdiche isn't a hard worker, he didn't want it and so on, the tools where there but not the passion, but he sold the passion to the interviewer. If they trusted more the video and his play, they wouldn't had that pick wrong.

But yes, they trusted him to get it, but he was a liar in that regard.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Fair point. I am more concerned that we used three draft picks on WRs and none of them can be anything more than a sub player. Like drafting three RBs and the best one is the guy who protects the punter.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fair point. I am more concerned that we used three draft picks on WRs and none of them can be anything more than a sub player. Like drafting three RBs and the best one is the guy who protects the punter.
Yea its like we would have been better off filling out other positions to help out with depth.

Who knows maybe its KJ who becomes a player. If Andy is just a gadget player at this stage of his career I'd still like to use the gadget as well.

Even if its just on a shovel pass every now and then.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When was the last time we won against a Ron Rivera team?

oh yeah 2011 and 2013

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't think the Washington game is going to be as easy as some thinks it will be. They had 8 sacks against the Eagles and two turnovers. Their front four is pretty damn good. If the Cardinals can't establish a threat of a running attack, it could be a long day for the offense.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Washington game is going to be as easy as some thinks it will be. They had 8 sacks against the Eagles and two turnovers. Their front four is pretty damn good. If the Cardinals can't establish a threat of a running attack, it could be a long day for the offense.
But they showed already how to play against a great front four, kk with his dink and dunk plays mixed with some creative plays by Murray can handle pretty well their defense I think
We just need to see if humphries is almost a turnstile like the previous game

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did he even give up a sack? Off memory I will say no.

Hump doesn't get off Scott free just because we have a mobile QB.

That's why I always call BS on the "Hump only gave up 2 sacks last year" crowd. Kyler saved him at least 4 Palmer wouldn't.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well, it is the NFL so no week is as easy as fans think it is going to be.

That being said...their CBs are Kendall Fuller and Ronald Darby. FS Troy Apke. The hove Jon Bostic, KEvin Pierre Louis and a Shaun Dion Hamilton at LB. So, as formidable as their front 4 is, the rest of the 7 players on defense are kinda trash. Their offensive line is bad. After McLaurin they have Steven Sims as their #2 WR. RBs Peyton Barber.

Their roster sucks. They have very little talent outside of that front 4. Margins for error in the NFL are small, but there is a reason we are a 6.5 pt favorite at home after they come off of a huge win. This should be a pretty low stress game for fans.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did he even give up a sack? Off memory I will say no.

Yes, Murray gave himself up twice before the line of scrimmage that I can remember, which drives me crazy. He needs to throw it away instead of doing that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Look for Rivera to have a similar game plan vs Kyler as last year. Rivera is going to rush 4, bring some delayed blitzes, and force Kyler to read quickly and get rid of the ball.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look for Rivera to have a similar game plan vs Kyler as last year. Rivera is going to rush 4, bring some delayed blitzes, and force Kyler to read quickly and get rid of the ball.
Luckily, Kliff won’t go in with a similar game plan(10 personnel heavy) like he did last year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hump doesn't get off Scott free just because we have a mobile QB.

That's why I always call BS on the "Hump only gave up 2 sacks last year" crowd. Kyler saved him at least 4 Palmer wouldn't.

Not saying that, I just don't remember anything of thinking he had a real bad game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rewatch the game - he let his man run around him with no resistance at least 4 times.

Uh, no thanks. Asking about something I missed is a better use of my time. You're welcome to go rewatch games though.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That being said...their CBs are Kendall Fuller and Ronald Darby. FS Troy Apke. The hove Jon Bostic, KEvin Pierre Louis and a Shaun Dion Hamilton at LB. So, as formidable as their front 4 is, the rest of the 7 players on defense are kinda trash. Their offensive line is bad. After McLaurin they have Steven Sims as their #2 WR. RBs Peyton Barber.

Their roster sucks. They have very little talent outside of that front 4. Margins for error in the NFL are small, but there is a reason we are a 6.5 pt favorite at home after they come off of a huge win. This should be a pretty low stress game for fans.

Chopper, I agree. They should have been blown the hell out on Sunday. I watched the whole game, and Pederson's hard headedness and Wentz's awful play allowed Washington to snatch control of that game. Our wideout room is far superior to the eagles and they had rookies getting wide open with ease. That front is a problem, but I feel pretty good going into this game. We have a real chance to do something special in this upcoming stretch. I think the organization sees that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

We've seen the Cardinals blow games like this many times...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson