2019-20 Northern AZ Suns G-League Thread

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's something to it. I remember hearing years ago when we signed Anthony Bennett and then waived him that we did so in order for him to go to our G-League team. There's some intricate details we as fans aren't as privy to. I'm glad they've opened up a 3rd Two-Way spot and wouldn't be surprised if we see further expansion in the next couple of years, like another roster exception, as Silver has pushed for the G-League for years to be a true minor league system.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if they owned a G/ League team could they send Bol, Ish or any Sun down?

I think a team is allowed to send players to their G-League team with less than three years of service.

Ish Wainright should qualify and Saban Lee should as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Host of the players will be signed to standard G-League contracts and will be available to any NBA team who wants to sign them. Players who have contracts with the Suns will not be available to sign with another team unless the Suns waive them though.

For instance, they could assign Saben (2-way contract) and Camary (standard contract) and still hold their rights. Any other players (like players from the Suns Summer League team) would be fair game for everybody.
They need to be able to have 5 or 6 G-league contracts at the nba minimum salary and then be able to control those players. Players get paid well and teams get a farm system for players that need time to develop.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need to be able to have 5 or 6 G-league contracts at the nba minimum salary and then be able to control those players. Players get paid well and teams get a farm system for players that need time to develop.

I think that would be unfair to the players. If they get to a point where an NBA team wants to add them to their active roster then a G-League player shouldn't be blocked by their own team.

The only thing I'd change (and it might be in effect already, I have no idea) is if another club wants to sign a player off your G-League roster to add to their own roster, then the original team should have the option to add that player to their own roster first. A right of first refusal, a sort of restricted free agency.

That way a player that has earned their NBA shot gets their NBA shot and the team that developed that player get priority if someone else tries to poach the player.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe teams can draft and stash 2nd round picks in the G-League. I'm not 100% but I don't see how that would be different to playing overseas. Draft them, dont sign them officially, and let them work for a season in the G-League before signing them.

If that were possible though I wouldn't be surprised if the league added a 3rd round to the draft. Something where you draft players specifically to the G-League. Don't allow the picks to be traded but the players could be.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that would be unfair to the players. If they get to a point where an NBA team wants to add them to their active roster then a G-League player shouldn't be blocked by their own team.

The only thing I'd change (and it might be in effect already, I have no idea) is if another club wants to sign a player off your G-League roster to add to their own roster, then the original team should have the option to add that player to their own roster first. A right of first refusal, a sort of restricted free agency.

That way a player that has earned their NBA shot gets their NBA shot and the team that developed that player get priority if someone else tries to poach the player.
How about the team wanting to add the player to their roster has to give a second round pick to the owning team?

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I think you would need to have the additional players assigned clear waivers in order to assign them. And they would be paid like a two-way player rather than a minimum NBA contract.

Sure, if they're on your 15-man roster or 3 two-way contracts then you keep control of them, but any additional players should have a chance of landing with another team if they're being signed to the G League. And I think other teams should be able to sign those assigned players with the team assigning them to the G League having the right to match the offer and call them up.

Otherwise players who might be able to play in the league could be blocked rom getting their chance.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a team is allowed to send players to their G-League team with less than three years of service.

Ish Wainright should qualify and Saban Lee should as well.

I thought i had seen a few veterans coming off injury play in the g-league before?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Teams would have more of a desire to pay and develop the players if they had some guaranteed return coming. That would be good for the players. Put an age limit on it, or a years in the league limit (like four years). Teams are going to move players up that deserve it.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought i had seen a few veterans coming off injury play in the g-league before?

They can be sent down with permission. I believe the Warriors did that with Klay. A player can't be assigned to the G-League without permission though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are aiming to own a team for the 2024-2025 season from I just heard on the radio.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm going to have to study up on G-League rules. I think they were more lax when COVID was a concern.