2018 Sun Devils Football Report Card

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
B. Better than expected, worse than I hoped. They were in road games in Oregon and Washington which I liked. Disappointed with losses in Boulder and at SDSU.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Herm overachieved coming in as head coach producing a winning season and bowl appearance.

I think a lot of us, including myself, were thinking his hire was a mistake. His teams were gritty and didn't give up.

I give him a "B."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
B was I came into the thread thinking and it’s obviously consensus. I too had low expectations for Herm and he exceeded them. Team was gritty. Youth will be big plus next year as matures.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
B+. Had they won today, I’d give the season an A-.
This team was predicted to finish dead last in the PAC-12. And most everyone on this board predicted doomsday when the team announced Herm as the new head coach. Most everyone ridiculed Herm when he boastfully proclaimed he was “on the train!”
Consistently starting 5, and sometimes 7 freshman on defense, and a QB in Manny who will never play organized football again, Herm far surpassed conventional wisdom and forecasts.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
My grade for the season is a "C." They finished in the middle or the Pac, that's a C.

My grade for Herm is an "A." IMO he should be Pac12 coach of the year. He massively overcame expectations with less talent than both of the LA schools he beat. He always says the right thing when a mic is shoved in his face. I'm super excited for the program going forward. Hopefully Herm can channel all that love from ESPN to recruit some top talent and get the program to the next level.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
They beat 2 ranked teams when they were supposed to be a doormat. The coach-as-CEO experiment worked. This year. Next year should be a more run oriented offense. Eno was 3rd team AA.

B.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I would say an overall "B" is a good grade. Some things have exceeded expectations (recruiting, competitive in the majority of games) and some still need improvement (offensive game planning, better QB play). But a decent start considering how questionable everything seemed when Herm was hired. Next season will be more telling.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
B-

Exceeded expectations by a wide margin...both the experts and mine. Bowl game was a letdown. I was unsure about the hiring but am, thus far, pleasantly surprised. Additionally, whilei acknowledge nothing matters until national signing day, this is feeling liked a very solid recruiting class.