2018 Phoenix Mercury season thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Mercury and Other Arizona Sports' started by Ronin, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Went to the game last night. Mercury were clearly the better team, but lost focus at times.

2. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

It's Sunday July 8, but the Mercury game at noon is not on Fox Sports Plus (or any other Fox channel or time), as it was advertised to be. Bummer!

Atlanta beat the Mercury 76-70. But they led 65-48 after 3 quarters. It was an uphill fight for the Mercury.
    Mercury box.png [Q

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  3. BC867

The Mercury are getting walloped at Dallas. 32-19 at the end of the 1st quarter. Griner playing the other big Center in the WNBA and has not been a factor. That's where DeWanna steps up. Dallas shot an amazing 69% for the quarter.

The Mercury are 2-0 vs. Dallas this season, but this is the second game in a row where they have not been in it, having lost PF Lyttle for the season.

Diana Taurasi went to the locker room at the end of the 1st quarter. They are saying that she was grimacing before the game and is "experiencing illness". 'Doesn't look good for a victory for the Mercury, but I'll keep watching for awhile, before switching to the D-backs game.

EDIT: Yup, time to switch, with DT out and the Mercury down 59-39 at the half. It's not fun listening to the Wings' announcers with the Mercury out of it. They don't like it when Brittney sets a screen. :oops:

EDIT: And I see that the Mercury lose by 29 --101-72.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

5. BC867

The Mercury beat the lowly Indiana team 101-82, opening it up near the end. Brittney came close to her all-time high of 38 with 36, but missed 5 or 6 free throws, which was uncharacteristic.

By lowly, I'm referring to Indiana's record, having won two games all season. They're a good group of people who try their best on the court.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  6. Yuma

Yuma Back in AZ!

I had great hopes for this team with their off season moves. Now I am worried we are tiring out, or losing focus. I hope we can get it back for playoffs!

BC867 likes this.
  7. BC867

Brittney Griner puts up good numbers. But unlike Diana Taurasi and DeWanna Bonner, hers are not consistent from game to game, especially rebounding.

Which means that DeWanna has to be our strong rebounder in those games, especially against strong competition, and I believe it is taking its toll on her.

8. thirty-two

thirty-two boglehead Contributor

God these refs are horrible tonight. Called a flagrant on Bonner when it was clearly a blocking foul. Horrible horrible refs.

That said, we need to play better and that means rebounding and making the hustle plays.

God I hate Minnesota.

9. thirty-two

Refs just ejected Diana for her tripping on the floor after being called for a fall. It should have been a foul on both of them not just Diana.

One thing I hate about the WNBA refs is that they don’t let the women PLAY. There are so many fouls called all the ******* time and it just distracts from the game. The WNBA refs as a whole are horrible.

10. thirty-two

We are still in this thing at halftime. Griner needs to step the F up if we are gonna have a chance. Bonner single handedly kept us in this game after DT was ejected.

Pansy ass refs asked for security to walk them out. The entire stadium was chanting “THESE REFS SUCK” after the debacle of DT.

BC867 likes this.
  11. thirty-two

The refs are such babies, they ejected two fans. I can’t believe it. Absolutely pathetic.

12. BC867

P.S. - especially having lost our other 'big', Lyttle at PF. Even more pressure on Griner.

And when she does not play up to par, as is the case often, that puts all of the pressure on my favorite Merc, DeWanna Bonner, who is a Small Forward.

She has been the difference maker who steps up, whether it be for Griner, at PF or if Taurasi is out. DeWanna can't be a miracle worker at any of four positions night after night. She is our Magic Johnson, but even he wasn't called on to cover any of four positions night after night.

13. Yuma

Yuma Back in AZ!

I think that injury has hurt us the most when you see the team's play after that point. I remember telling my kids, there goes the playoffs!

14. BC867

WNBA All-Star game on ABC tomorrow (Saturday) at 12:30 PM (3:30 PM Eastern time).

Our big-3 are represented -- DT, BG and (my personal favorite) DB, who has stepped up to All Star status in games whenever needed, especially to cover for DT, BG or at Power Forward.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  15. BC867

Well, I guess Mercury fans couldn't lose under this new WNBA All Star format.

The team that Sandy Brondello coached won. The team with Taurasi, Griner and Bonner did not. The players did pretty much their own thing for the first half.

Griner blew an easy stuff. I can't understand why she is so inconsistent. She seems like a troubled superstar.