2018 MLB Awards Finalists Announced

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AL Cy Young- Snell, Kluber, and Verlander.
NL Cy Young- de Grom, Scherzer, Nola
NL MVP- Yelich, Baez, Arenado
NL ROY- Acuna, Soto, Buehler
AL ROY- Ohtani, Torres, Andujar
AL MVP- Betts, Ramirez, Trout

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Votes:

AL Cy Young- Kluber
NL Cy Young- de Grom
NL MVP- Yelich
NL ROY- Buehler
AL ROY- Ohtani
AL MVP- Betts

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American League Rookie of the Year: Shohei Ohtani.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Why? Who would you have picked?
Maybe someone who had a record more north of .500? Scherzer? Maybe someone who carried their team to a playoff berth at the bitter end like Kershaw? And trust me, my friend, it pains me to speak well of the Doyers or the Expos. When sports writers say he won the Denton True Young Award "despite having just 10 wins," something is wrong with the voting.

One of the BabaWawa writers hasn't written an article about baseball in a decade. How the bleep is he qualified to do anything except take his golf cart down to the local Golden Arches and gum down some fries? And please don't get me wound up on the analytics mow-rons.

This is not new. In 1967, the BBWAA voted some schlep over Bob Frigging Gibson, who not only had a comparable ERA, but led the Cardinals to the WS title. They sawed off the top of the pitchers' mound because of that cat!

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cy Young is not an MVP award so “team performance” should not factor and anyone judging a pitcher by wins hasn’t understood baseball for over a decade.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Maybe someone who had a record more north of .500? Scherzer? Maybe someone who carried their team to a playoff berth at the bitter end like Kershaw? And trust me, my friend, it pains me to speak well of the Doyers or the Expos. When sports writers say he won the Denton True Young Award "despite having just 10 wins," something is wrong with the voting.

One of the BabaWawa writers hasn't written an article about baseball in a decade. How the bleep is he qualified to do anything except take his golf cart down to the local Golden Arches and gum down some fries? And please don't get me wound up on the analytics mow-rons.

This is not new. In 1967, the BBWAA voted some schlep over Bob Frigging Gibson, who not only had a comparable ERA, but led the Cardinals to the WS title. They sawed off the top of the pitchers' mound because of that cat!

DeGrom put up an historic season! He was the clear choice...

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
29 of the writers voted for deGrom. Wins is a team stat - you can't win many games if your team doesn't provide support.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Oh f**k it, this is silly. I'm done with this. Y'all realize a few relief pitchers have been given this trophy, so team performance counts in it...or at least used to.

But just screw it. Go lob up another 50,000 posts on an internet message board and say that you care.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh f**k it, this is silly. I'm done with this. Y'all realize a few relief pitchers have been given this trophy, so team performance counts in it...or at least used to.
Eric Gagne is the last relief pitcher that I remember winning the award. He had that crazy save streak going for him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson