2018 3rd round pick is C Mason Cole

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cole did OK. He should be better next year. As long as he stays healthy the center position is solid for the next decade IMO.

If Shipley makes the team as a backup it won't be a bad situation at all.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Cole was a bright spot this season. Played hard and stayed healthy during insane turmoil on offense.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shipley is an awesome backup C, especially for the cost. Cole and Shipley have the C position locked up for us in 2019.

He is cheap. You can't argue with that. I think the biggest problem with Shipley, when he's actually playing is that he cuts alot of running plays out of your playbook - basically anything that moves laterally. Guys run right by him. So I don't know how big of a deal that will be with KK. I heard his offense requires athletic OL that can move. So I could almost see him wanting to clean house of slow footed OL. Of course that would include Pugh. So that would be a problem. Plus there's only so much you can do in one year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He is cheap. You can't argue with that. I think the biggest problem with Shipley, when he's actually playing is that he cuts alot of running plays out of your playbook - basically anything that moves laterally. Guys run right by him. So I don't know how big of a deal that will be with KK. I heard his offense requires athletic OL that can move. So I could almost see him wanting to clean house of slow footed OL. Of course that would include Pugh. So that would be a problem. Plus there's only so much you can do in one year.
Pugh is actually a pretty athletic dude. It was why he played LT in college. Him moving more may elevate his level of play. I'm not sure where you are getting that he is a slow, drive blocking plodder.

RE: Shipley. Cheap, vet backups is what keeps your line from falling apart. The benefit of Shipley is that you have a guy who can start multiple games if needed.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Pugh is actually a pretty athletic dude. It was why he played LT in college. Him moving more may elevate his level of play. I'm not sure where you are getting that he is a slow, drive blocking plodder.

RE: Shipley. Cheap, vet backups is what keeps your line from falling apart. The benefit of Shipley is that you have a guy who can start multiple games if needed.

Shipley’s strength is in reading blocking adjustments. Cole may grow into that role, but he needs to add strength and experience. He’s likely more athletic than Shipley, but protecting Rosen is job number 1.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is too early to tell, but if Kingsbury's scheme values movement and spacing to create angles for offensive linemen, we may see a better Justin Pugh as that is his skill set.

He's not doing bad after an MCL injury 2 months ago. I know MCL is nowhere near as bad as ACL. But still, 2 months and he's on a national dance tour. I guess his hand is okay too. Good. No excuses now. He's a huge ballbuster off the field when it comes to messing with people in the locker room. I want to see him be a ballbuster on the field.

Funny thing though, I still haven't heard anyone even remotely connected to the Cardinals mention the possibility of Pugh switching back to the left side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA