2017 Cards, PFT preseason power ranking: 22nd

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We've seen what happens to this team when everyone tells them they are great and they are Super Bowl bound,,, so I'm more than happy to see this. I hope the media rips on us constantly, keeps our egos in check and keeps the team hungry. When this team gets swagger we get punched in the mouth pretty consistently.

Reaction score
yeah... but the fact that even you think it will be a SURPRISE means most don't think it will happen... thus, Pittsburg ranked higher because they have a BIG 3 that has been successful for years.

And it's still a really homerific comment. The kid's talented but he's coming off a mystery illness season, while only having 1 season where he barely broke 1000 yards (a season where he dealt with injuries as well). Surely you can see how national reporters wouldn't see the way you do when they factor that into their rankings, right?

I really don't gaf about the rankings. I was comparing the Cards to the Steelers. Yes my opinion of JB is being a homer but it's just that, my opinion, & I feel he will be all that this year. I think the Steelers have their big 3 as you call it & nothing else. I feel we are a much deeper team than they are & I don't feel Big B is a huge improvement over Palmer at this stage in their careers. Go ahead & blast my opinions all you want. I don't really care.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seems whenever an Arizona team is gassed up we always implode. Both Cards and the 2017 Diamondbacks.

Its best if we are underdogs. We cant handle the spotlight.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
22 seems right.

The 2017 Cardinals team is pretty much, "Until we see you guys do it, and not just talk it, you are a 7-8-1 ball club".

Not really sure what people are expecting here, what has this team done that should put them in the top 15 in the league ?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I won't quibble with 17, but looking at the list, thinking the 17-22 teams are pretty interchangeable.

I think in todays NFL -- teams 4-22 are interchangeable

i look at the NFC:

I guess ATL is a cut above -- but would it surprise anyone to see them go something like 9-7 next year post 28-3 SB hangover? Dallas seems the same way to me. I want to put GB a cut above, but they were 10-6 last year and so up and down.

I guess i see three teams in the NFC that have no playoff chance: SF, LA and Chi. After that -- everyone else could win their division and it wouldnt be a giant shock.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in todays NFL -- teams 4-22 are interchangeable

i look at the NFC:

I guess ATL is a cut above -- but would it surprise anyone to see them go something like 9-7 next year post 28-3 SB hangover? Dallas seems the same way to me. I want to put GB a cut above, but they were 10-6 last year and so up and down.

I guess i see three teams in the NFC that have no playoff chance: SF, LA and Chi. After that -- everyone else could win their division and it wouldnt be a giant shock.

won't quibble with that.

and I agree... even though the Falcons are very talented, I expect them to have the worst SB Hangover ever. I could easily see them having the same type of year we did last year... or much worse.

Reaction score
Big Ben is 35 & was contemplating retirement. I would say DJ is just as good if not better than Bell, & John Brown (if he's healthy like everyone is saying) is on the same level as AB. IMO of course.

We also have the 4th easiest schedule this year.

Not the only one who thinks JB will be good this year. I know it's DU. AB had 1284 yds last year. Their next highest receiver was Bell at 616. That is why AB is getting more yardage. DJ had almost 1,000 receiving as well as Fitz getting over 100 receptions. If John Brown was our main target like AB is for the Steelers then of course he is going to get well over 1,000 yards.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

Comment From kyle

Hey Darren, If you ever have an extra ticket to a cardinals game, can you take me? That would be cool. Also who do you feel is going to be the biggest shock (good or bad) this year and why?
via
·
about 5 hours ago

You must be registered for see images

Darren Urban

The biggest "shock?"

Tough to predict something like that, since if it's shocking it'd be something you didn't predict, no?

I feel many have jumped off the John Brown bandwagon. But I think he makes another run at 1,000 yards. How's that one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the only one who thinks JB will be good this year. I know it's DU. AB had 1284 yds last year. Their next highest receiver was Bell at 616. That is why AB is getting more yardage. DJ had almost 1,000 receiving as well as Fitz getting over 100 receptions. If John Brown was our main target like AB is for the Steelers then of course he is going to get well over 1,000 yards.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

Comment From kyle

Hey Darren, If you ever have an extra ticket to a cardinals game, can you take me? That would be cool. Also who do you feel is going to be the biggest shock (good or bad) this year and why?
via
·
about 5 hours ago

You must be registered for see images

Darren Urban

The biggest "shock?"

Tough to predict something like that, since if it's shocking it'd be something you didn't predict, no?

I feel many have jumped off the John Brown bandwagon. But I think he makes another run at 1,000 yards. How's that one.

He might make another run at 1000 yards if healthy... but, again, you're saying he's just as good or could be better than a guy who averaged 1570 YARDS and 11 TDS PER SEASON THE LAST FOUR YEARS.

AB is getting so much more yardage than anyone else on his team because... HE'S THE BEST WR IN THE GAME.

Reaction score
He might make another run at 1000 yards if healthy... but, again, you're saying he's just as good or could be better than a guy who averaged 1570 YARDS and 11 TDS PER SEASON THE LAST FOUR YEARS.

AB is getting so much more yardage than anyone else on his team because... HE'S THE BEST WR IN THE GAME.

And the only good receiver on his team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the only good receiver on his team.

that is a really good point... which unfortunately only strengthens what I've been saying.

Last year, on a team with no good WRs AND Bell missing 4 games, the guy was the only option in the passing game and despite double teams on every play, he STILL put up 1300 yards and 10 TDs.

So, last year, you're right... the only reason he got 1284 yards (5th best in the league) was because he was double teamed constantly.

But the theory that he only puts up huge numbers because he plays with no one else, really starts to crumble when you look at the years previous to last year when his seasons were EVEN BETTER and he had more talent surrounding him.

In 2015, Brown was 2ND IN THE LEAGUE with an outrageous 1834 yards and 10 TDs and he did this DESPITE playing with two WRs who put up over 700 yards AND a TE who put up 550.

Then, in 2014 - AB LED THE LEAGUE in yards with 1698 AND 13 tds, DESPITE PLAYING AGAIN with Bell who put up 850 receiving yards (much like your DJ comparison), a TE who put up 771 yards another WR who put up 650 yards and yet ANOTHER receiving option that put up 550. That's a lot of receiving options to take yardage away from AB and he STILL led the league.

Then, in 2013, your argument just completely falls flat on it's face when AB was again 2ND IN THE LEAGUE with 1500 yards and 8 TDs, despite playing with Emmanuel Sanders (you know... the guy who had 740 yards and then went on to have back to back to back 1000 yard seasons with Denver, averaging over 1200 the last three years, including one with Trevor Simien as his QB!), and another WR who had 600 yards.

So, the reality is... without WRs last year, AB put up the 5th most yards in the league.

And WITH even just a decent amount of talent the three years previous, he put up a better 3 year stretch than almost any WR in LEAGUE HISTORY.

Or maybe you'll argue that his outrageous 3 year stretch amongst the best in league history was ALSO a product of playing with no talent, dismissing Markus Wheaton, Martayvian Bryant, Heath Miller, Emmanuel Sanders and Bell. Okay... but you realize that then you're arguing that a guy who played with poor WR threats, was STILL able to put up the best numbers in league history despite constant double teams... leading the Steelers to one of the best offenses in the league?

Let me just ask you this...if you switched AB and JB on each other's teams, do you think the Steelers O would be just as good as it has been since AB exploded and do you think the Cardinals offense would be just the same... or worse?

Look... I HOPE you're RIGHT and JB is as good as AB. But to state it emphatically... is pretty much saying JB is the best or second best WR in football at this point... based off his first three seasons where he's only scratched the 1000 yard mark once and is a big injury question mark. Just seems silly to me to make that argument at this point, homer or not.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Forget Antonio Brown

I'd be happy if Smoke was as good as TY Hilton

If that happened, all other things on O being the same --the Cards score lots of points

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
Big Ben was contemplating retirement and is 35... okay, Carson is 36 or 37 and was contemplating retirement. Neither of them retired and Big Ben is a better QB, so who cares?

I agree that DJ is on the same level as Bell.

The John Brown comment doesn't even deserve a response.
And big Ben is a rapist. Carson isn't so Carson is a better qb.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Ben is 35 & was contemplating retirement. I would say DJ is just as good if not better than Bell, & John Brown (if he's healthy like everyone is saying) is on the same level as AB. IMO of course.

We also have the 4th easiest schedule this year.

yeah... hey @cardncubfan here's one of the conversations about the Cards Big 3 being as good or better than the Steelers Big 3... you know... echoing your original post that Big Ben and Palmer are equals... one reason being because Ben was "contemplating retiring"... even though Ben is still playing and Palmer retired. And saying without any evidence whatsoever that John Brown when healthy is on the same level as AB. Literally, NO proof to the statement. Still looking for that first post when you claimed he was better, but the above is ludicrous enough to even try and maintain JB was AB's equal... "when healthy".

Those aren't embellishments. Those are your words having been proven to be completely without merit or evidence.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't gaf about the rankings. I was comparing the Cards to the Steelers. Yes my opinion of JB is being a homer but it's just that, my opinion, & I feel he will be all that this year. I think the Steelers have their big 3 as you call it & nothing else. I feel we are a much deeper team than they are & I don't feel Big B is a huge improvement over Palmer at this stage in their careers. Go ahead & blast my opinions all you want. I don't really care.

good call here too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose