2017 Cards, PFT preseason power ranking: 22nd

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFT preseason power rankings No. 22: Arizona Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals continue to carry a roster stocked with talent at several key positions. Larry Fitzgerald continues to get the job done at a high level at 33 years old. David Johnson has become one of the league’s best running backs. The secondary is stocked with talented pieces and Carson Palmer is capable of playing at a Top 10 level for stretches at a time.

But inconsistency and an inability to get over the hump have plagued the Cardinals in recent years. With time running out for some of Arizona’s aging core, 2017 may represent the last best chance this group has of doing something significant. The Cardinals have to find adequate replacements for some key departures on the defensive side of the ball and hope that Palmer can have another one of his peak seasons.

Link

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For the description of the team, the ranking does not coincide... they are clearly ranking the Cardinals according to perceptions of the franchise's history and not for what they are in my opinion

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
right where they need to be. I hope everyone kicks them while they are down

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the description of the team, the ranking does not coincide... they are clearly ranking the Cardinals according to perceptions of the franchise's history and not for what they are in my opinion

Jesus... can Cardinals fans PLEASE stop playing the victim card? We were SUPER BOWL FAVORITES last year. We've been good for four years. But truth is, we ARE pretty old at key spots, we did lose two very important pieces on the D and outside of Larry, we don't have any reliable WRs.

There's a lot of talent on the team but there's just as many question marks and when you were 7-8-1 the previous season, the question marks are gonna tend to drag a team's expectations down.

I still think we've got a shot to be a 10-6 team, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were 8-8 or 7-9... which would put us right around #22.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Jesus... can Cardinals fans PLEASE stop playing the victim card? We were SUPER BOWL FAVORITES last year. We've been good for four years. But truth is, we ARE pretty old at key spots, we did lose two very important pieces on the D and outside of Larry, we don't have any reliable WRs.

There's a lot of talent on the team but there's just as many question marks and when you were 7-8-1 the previous season, the question marks are gonna tend to drag a team's expectations down.

I still think we've got a shot to be a 10-6 team, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we were 8-8 or 7-9... which would put us right around #22.
I agree. But what scares me the most is that when I look at the schedule it is still fairly easy to see 13-3 this season...guess it depends on which Cardinal team shows up

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

While I don't disagree with you in general, as bad as last season was, we were only a few plays from a double digit win season. This season is so full of depends you'd think we were an ad for incontinence undergarments.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

Hey Cheese, maybe you are acting like the quintessential Cardinal fan on this one, readily accepting last season as the indication of the proceeding season most likely to happen, but I will not. Again, I said maybe but I know no Steeler fan which would look at last season with the seasons before and say being ranked 22 was acceptable. I am not going to say Jefferson was a make or break loss and though I think Campbell was huge, I happen to think even old man Dansby is a vast improvement over Minter and our defense has not taken a plunge. I will not accept Larry as being the only viable WR when the seasons before he clearly was not and will not take Floyd as a major drop off with guys like Brown and JJ who showed they are also more than last season. Yes, the expectations must be tempered but for a team which could also achieve 10-6... well, 22 to me is rather low balling when one also takes into account our offensive and defensive rankings and having Dawson now improved our Special Teams by 50% regardless of clueless Amos in my opinion

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I don't disagree with you in general, as bad as last season was, we were only a few plays from a double digit win season. This season is so full of depends you'd think we were an ad for incontinence undergarments.

True... but we also won a game in Seattle that could have gone the other way and we still have no clue if the STs disasters have really been remedied with Infamous Amos back there.

Funny last sentence!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Cheese, maybe you are acting like the quintessential Cardinal fan on this one, readily accepting last season as the indication of the proceeding season most likely to happen, but I will not.

I'm not readily accepting last season... I think there's a solid chance we can be good. But I think there's just as solid of a chance we're not much better.

Again, I said maybe but I know no Steeler fan which would look at last season with the seasons before and say being ranked 22 was acceptable.

That's because the Steelers have a HOF QB, RB and WR... ALL in their prime, two of which are arguably the best in the game. And they have DECADES of success, not three years behind them. And they play in the AFC which is weaker than the NFC, IMO.

I am not going to say Jefferson was a make or break loss and though I think Campbell was huge, I happen to think even old man Dansby is a vast improvement over Minter and our defense has not taken a plunge.

I don't think our D has taken a plunge... but I do think it's suspect when you remove Jefferson and more importantly Campbell. We're depending on a really old guy in Bethea to take Jefferson's spot and a rookie who couldn't get on the field to take Campbell's. Not to mention, we literally did NOTHING to address the #2 CB spot. Those are big holes. I do think Dansby will help, but I don't know what to make of Reddick yet and neither does anyone else.

I will not accept Larry as being the only viable WR when the seasons before he clearly was not and will not take Floyd as a major drop off with guys like Brown and JJ who showed they are also more than last season.

Never said Larry was the only viable... i said he was the only PROVEN. Brown is viable... if healthy, but at this point, he's a complete mystery until pads go on and balls start flying. We heard a couple times last year "Smoke looks like Smoke!" only for his mysterious ailment to come back. And then they thought they figured out his mysterious ailment... and then he was shut down again. Until he proves he's healthy, I think it's foolish to depend on him. And JJ is a nice 3rd WR, but again, his best season in this league is... 500 yards?

Yes, the expectations must be tempered but for a team which could also achieve 10-6... well, 22 to me is rather low balling when one also takes into account our offensive and defensive rankings and having Dawson now improved our Special Teams by 50% regardless of clueless Amos in my opinion

Look, I'm glad Cat's gone, but Dawson ain't Vinateri in his prime. He doesn't get touchbacks (a problem Cat had), and he was 7-10 from 40 yards and out. And he's 42. And even beyond that, Infamous Amos is still there, coaching non-existent blocking schemes on kickoff returns, punt returns, punt and FG formations. Until I see better special teams, I think it's complete folly to think that we're going to see a 50% better unit out there after literally getting worse every year for three consecutive seasons.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not readily accepting last season... I think there's a solid chance we can be good. But I think there's just as solid of a chance we're not much better.

That's because the Steelers have a HOF QB, RB and WR... ALL in their prime, two of which are arguably the best in the game. And they have DECADES of success, not three years behind them. And they play in the AFC which is weaker than the NFC, IMO.

I don't think our D has taken a plunge... but I do think it's suspect when you remove Jefferson and more importantly Campbell. We're depending on a really old guy in Bethea to take Jefferson's spot and a rookie who couldn't get on the field to take Campbell's. Not to mention, we literally did NOTHING to address the #2 CB spot. Those are big holes. I do think Dansby will help, but I don't know what to make of Reddick yet and neither does anyone else.

Never said Larry was the only viable... i said he was the only PROVEN. Brown is viable... if healthy, but at this point, he's a complete mystery until pads go on and balls start flying. We heard a couple times last year "Smoke looks like Smoke!" only for his mysterious ailment to come back. And then they thought they figured out his mysterious ailment... and then he was shut down again. Until he proves he's healthy, I think it's foolish to depend on him. And JJ is a nice 3rd WR, but again, his best season in this league is... 500 yards?

Look, I'm glad Cat's gone, but Dawson ain't Vinateri in his prime. He doesn't get touchbacks (a problem Cat had), and he was 7-10 from 40 yards and out. And he's 42. And even beyond that, Infamous Amos is still there, coaching non-existent blocking schemes on kickoff returns, punt returns, punt and FG formations. Until I see better special teams, I think it's complete folly to think that we're going to see a 50% better unit out there after literally getting worse every year for three consecutive seasons.
Nkemdiche & Calais don't play the same position, but the rest is spot on.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

+1

We have a LOT to prove this season.

Reaction score
That's because the Steelers have a HOF QB, RB and WR... ALL in their prime, two of which are arguably the best in the game. And they have DECADES of success, not three years behind them. And they play in the AFC which is weaker than the NFC, IMO

Big Ben is 35 & was contemplating retirement. I would say DJ is just as good if not better than Bell, & John Brown (if he's healthy like everyone is saying) is on the same level as AB. IMO of course.

We also have the 4th easiest schedule this year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Ben is 35 & was contemplating retirement. I would say DJ is just as good if not better than Bell, & John Brown (if he's healthy like everyone is saying) is on the same level as AB. IMO of course.

I would disagree about John Brown. He has the potential but no way in hell is he on the same level right now. Brown has only had one great year and even that was only 1k yards. AB has had 1500, 1600 and 1800 yard seasons.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That would mean John Brown is arguably the best WR in the NFL. That's a hell no.

I agree with the statements above that one, though.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

I just think if one balances out last year and the one which we got close, we should be ranked about seventeen in the grand scheme of what is to come this season... unless they feel a need to re-sign Butler once his photos are about to hit the press lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think if one balances out last year and the one which we got close, we should be ranked about seventeen in the grand scheme of what is to come this season... unless they feel a need to re-sign Butler once his photos are about to hit the press lol

I won't quibble with 17, but looking at the list, thinking the 17-22 teams are pretty interchangeable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Big Ben was contemplating retirement and is 35... okay, Carson is 36 or 37 and was contemplating retirement. Neither of them retired and Big Ben is a better QB, so who cares?

I agree that DJ is on the same level as Bell.

The John Brown comment doesn't even deserve a response.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see this season. I think he'll surprise everyone.

yeah... but the fact that even you think it will be a SURPRISE means most don't think it will happen... thus, Pittsburg ranked higher because they have a BIG 3 that has been successful for years.

And it's still a really homerific comment. The kid's talented but he's coming off a mystery illness season, while only having 1 season where he barely broke 1000 yards (a season where he dealt with injuries as well). Surely you can see how national reporters wouldn't see the way you do when they factor that into their rankings, right?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have lot to prove and 22nd sounds about right to get the team enough fire to prove them wrong. We all know how fast this power rankings change after the first 4 weaks, we saw it last year, droping from top 5 out of the top 10.

This is the NFL, every year is different, so lets hope that Amos gets his poo together and starts to get something out of his ST else we will see, much more of the same.

And ST wasn't great since BA is HC, Amos should have hit the tires and we should have a new ST coach. I didn't see the All or nothing of the Lambs yet, but if that about the D is right, we are in for a long season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose