2016-17 Around the NBA

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's interesting that Dudley made some comments about the Kyrie situation.
Jared Dudley: Something not adding up! 3 straight finals, 1 championship, and you want to leave. Bron the perfect compliment to his game
Jared Dudley: I don’t want to hear it!!! Grass isn’t always greener on the other side! If you can’t be happy with ships then there’s a problem
3 days ago – via Twitter

I hope the Suns pass. To me, this is similar to Paul George situation, though George is a rental. Nobody should give up more for Kyrie than the Thunder did for George.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's interesting that Dudley made some comments about the Kyrie situation.
Jared Dudley: Something not adding up! 3 straight finals, 1 championship, and you want to leave. Bron the perfect compliment to his game
Jared Dudley: I don’t want to hear it!!! Grass isn’t always greener on the other side! If you can’t be happy with ships then there’s a problem
3 days ago – via Twitter

I hope the Suns pass. To me, this is similar to Paul George situation, though George is a rental. Nobody should give up more for Kyrie than the Thunder did for George.

Hmm. Dudley would have to go in the Kyrie trade I guess.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This would interest me:

Sactown gets: Irving and shump

Cleveland gets: Bledsoe and warren

Suns get: Fox and whatever sac has to send.

I'd be tempted to see whether the Suns could retain Warren and surrender a future pick instead, but either way, this would be an intriguing move. I'm pretty high on Fox from what little I've seen so far.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to see whether the Suns could retain Warren and surrender a future pick instead, but either way, this would be an intriguing move. I'm pretty high on Fox from what little I've seen so far.
This would interest me too. But would it get it done for Cleveland? I would think Bledsoe, Warren and a pick would be more likely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren will be a RFA next season. Something to think about. I like him but it will cost the Suns to keep him.

I think Warren could play PF but the Suns have depth there.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Well, if Kyrie is really that much of a problem, then the Suns already know it. After all, McD's right hand man played with Kyrie the last three years and knows full well how much of a ball hog etc he is. James Jones was one of those players standing there open while Kyrie jacked up shots. JJ is also a pretty smart basketball player. He knows what was going on inside that locker room. I am glad we have him right now. It gives me more confidence that McD will make the right decision in this situation.

Excellent point JC, we can breathe a little easier now...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Errntknght

Reaction score
Some trade news.
Early on in his career I thought Nicholson would develop into a good NBA player.

I think most of us that noticed him did, MS. Looking over his career stats he's dropped quite steadily since his rookie year, hitting a near record low in offensive efficiency for a PF this past year - Beasley type numbers (when he played for us.) I wonder if he mentally hitched his star to 3 pt shooting and when that fell apart this year his whole game collapsed. His 3pt shooting kept rising in frequency and accuracy until year before last - he peaked at 36% - then it plummeted to 19% last year. And his minutes fell with it. His steals trebled last season, too - like he suddenly started chasing them instead of defending properly...

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I wouldn't give up jackson.

This article is interesting:

https://theringer.com/phoenix-suns-potential-kyrie-irving-deal-nba-1651bd0f0ad7

I'd likely do Bledsoe l, warren/Len (or even both), and one Miami pick. Not sure they find a better offer.

I'm curious why you think Kyrie's that much better than Eric.

Here's the thing, after one season playing with Lebron, how good would Eric Bledsoe look? He'd get to the Finals guaranteed. He'd score 20+ and dish out 6. And he'd be able to show off his D on the big stage. Then people would be raving about this guy.

[Rant: I don't get the love for Irving. A guy who, yes, can score at will. BUT so can anyone he's guarding. Using the eyeball test his +/- isn't all that impressive. Bledsoe's is FAR better.

If Cleveland called me to ask for Bledsoe/Irving, I'd ask what else are they offering to go along with Kyrie. I'm not kidding. Yeah, I know they'd hang up on me. But I don't care. This guy is living off of Lebron's success. IMO he's not better than Eric. And this is coming from a guy who would still trade Eric for Dennis Smith Jr. :Rant closed]

Oh yeah, one more thing to consider, Kyrie costs $4M more than Eric.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think Kyrie's that much better than Eric.

Here's the thing, after one season playing with Lebron, how good would Eric Bledsoe look? He'd get to the Finals guaranteed. He'd score 20+ and dish out 6. And he'd be able to show off his D on the big stage. Then people would be raving about this guy.

[Rant: I don't get the love for Irving. A guy who, yes, can score at will. BUT so can anyone he's guarding. Using the eyeball test his +/- isn't all that impressive. Bledsoe's is FAR better.

If Cleveland called me to ask for Bledsoe/Irving, I'd ask what else are they offering to go along with Kyrie. I'm not kidding. Yeah, I know they'd hang up on me. But I don't care. This guy is living off of Lebron's success. IMO he's not better than Eric. And this is coming from a guy who would still trade Eric for Dennis Smith Jr. :Rant closed]

Oh yeah, one more thing to consider, Kyrie costs $4M more than Eric.

He is a significantly better shooter. He is a better ball handler. He is more efficient than Eric. While its not saying much, he is healthier than Eric. He can take over games on the biggest stage, which Eric has never done. He naturally plays faster than Eric. Cleveland plays more of a slow down game for LeBron's benefit. He can create his own offense in a much bigger way than Eric.

Kyrie has warts, certainly, but my goodness.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He is a significantly better shooter. He is a better ball handler. He is more efficient than Eric. While its not saying much, he is healthier than Eric. He can take over games on the biggest stage, which Eric has never done. He naturally plays faster than Eric. Cleveland plays more of a slow down game for LeBron's benefit. He can create his own offense in a much bigger way than Eric.

Kyrie has warts, certainly, but my goodness.
He couldn't win games with comparable talent on his team as we have now. That's a big red flag for me. You list all these things, but how much better is he, really? Is he as good as Bledsoe, Warren and one of the Miami picks, for example? I don't think he is. And it's not even close IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He couldn't win games with comparable talent on his team as we have now. That's a big red flag for me. You list all these things, but how much better is he, really? Is he as good as Bledsoe, Warren and one of the Miami picks, for example? I don't think he is. And it's not even close IMO.

Are you talking about him not winning games four years ago when he was 21?

I think he would be worth that, but I will certainly defer to whatever the front office thinks on this one. They have info I am not privy to.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyrie might be a good luck charge for us in the lottery, Cleveland got the #1 overall pick twice in his first 3 years.

I know he's a better player than he was then but I don't think he helps us make the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about him not winning games four years ago when he was 21?

This is a fair point... but what worries me about Kyrie isn't his inability to win when he first came in the league... it's the fact that the overwhelming majority of the time LeBron sits out a game, Kyrie and the Cavs are AWFUL, even with the rest of the team playing. And that's playing East teams a lot of the time. That is a legit concern.

I think he would be worth that, but I will certainly defer to whatever the front office thinks on this one. They have info I am not privy to.

that said, if it were Bled, Warren and a pick, I wouldn't be pissed about a trade. He's definitely a MASSIVE talent and might be worth the risk, especially considering he'd be closer to age with this group than Bledsoe is.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Marbury was better.

Btw I don't think Kyrie stays if the Suns don't make the playoffs which they will assuredly not for the next two years. Unless the Suns bring in Cousins next summer they'll still be pretty bad. If he does stay imagine giving Irving and Booker more than a qtr billion combined. :shock::shock:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a fair point... but what worries me about Kyrie isn't his inability to win when he first came in the league... it's the fact that the overwhelming majority of the time LeBron sits out a game, Kyrie and the Cavs are AWFUL, even with the rest of the team playing. And that's playing East teams a lot of the time. That is a legit concern.

that said, if it were Bled, Warren and a pick, I wouldn't be pissed about a trade. He's definitely a MASSIVE talent and might be worth the risk, especially considering he'd be closer to age with this group than Bledsoe is.

But remember that the Cavs personnel and offense is built around LeBron's strengths, not Kyrie's. If you actually built a team to maximize the strengths of Kyrie, Booker, and Jackson, you might get a different result.

I don't mind getting Kyrie. I think it has the potential to turn out really well. I would not give up Jackson though and the Suns aren't going to.

Bledsoe for Kyrie seems a no brainer to me. We are going to have to make a big choice about extending Warren, which should be a bit difficult having Jackson on the roster. And the Miami pick, I think, will be middle to late first round. I actually might be more interested in giving up Chriss than Warren. But that is just me. Chriss has started having some big question marks in my mind. I think Bender might have the greater long term potential, especially defensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
"Comparable talent" . . . eh, color me not convinced on that point. Pre-Lebron that team had little talent. Their lottery selections around kyrie were terrible (waiters, Tristan, Bennett sucked, Tyler zeller, deng, earl Clark, etc). I mean SUCKED. Not a single player of bookers ability. And while the young guys I listed may have had the same kind of potential (at the time) that our young guys have, theirs have since proven to be talentless whereas ours have already proven some talent (ulis and warren) and others haven't proven the potential doesn't exist (Jackson, chriss, Reed, bender). Kyrie is also older and more battle tested through three trips to the finals than he was when he was the main leader, at age 20-21, back then.

I'm not saying I'm convinced he's the right move. But I'm not convinced he's not either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the trade that was made between Portland and Brooklyn, I thought a player couldn't be traded to the team that signed them to an offer sheet throughout the duration of that contract if the original team matches? Brooklyn signed Crabbe to an offer sheet last offseason which Portland decided to match but now they're sending him to Brooklyn in a deal.

I vaguely remember there being some sort of rule about that back when the Suns signed Eric Gordon to an offer sheet, that the Pelicans couldn't trade him to Phoenix throughout the duration of the deal unless it was a sign & trade right away.

Here's a link that talks about the trade and mentions Brooklyn signed him to an offer sheet last year.
https://clutchpoints.com/breaking-blazers-trade-allen-crabbe-to-nets-for-andrew-nicholson/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But remember that the Cavs personnel and offense is built around LeBron's strengths, not Kyrie's. If you actually built a team to maximize the strengths of Kyrie, Booker, and Jackson, you might get a different result.

I don't mind getting Kyrie. I think it has the potential to turn out really well. I would not give up Jackson though and the Suns aren't going to.

Bledsoe for Kyrie seems a no brainer to me. We are going to have to make a big choice about extending Warren, which should be a bit difficult having Jackson on the roster. And the Miami pick, I think, will be middle to late first round. I actually might be more interested in giving up Chriss than Warren. But that is just me. Chriss has started having some big question marks in my mind. I think Bender might have the greater long term potential, especially defensively.

I won't quibble with any of this. Just saying the Cavs record without LeBron is super ugly and that at least raises an eyebrow for me. But again, I'd prob make that deal as long we didn't give up Jackson and our own pick.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The thread just got pretty interesting. I'm still not sold on the move, but comparing the pre-LeBron II Cavs and the LeBron-on-the-bench Cavs to where I hope the Suns will be in a couple years... What the Cavs really have missed the last couple years is a second unit leader, but I also think LeBron's "management style" hinders that, too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I realize it's just bleacher report, but this allays some fears . . .

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose