2015 Cards vs 2021 Cards

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just for fun, I wanted to do some quick research on how this year’s team matches up against the 2015 squad through 6 games.

I must say the results are eerily similar. Before I share some of the results I gotta say if Carson Palmer and Tyrann Matthieu didn’t get injured at the end of the season I really think we would have won it all that year.

Below are some key stats from both teams:

Record through 6 games:
- 2015: 4-2
- 2021: 6-0

Points Per Game:
- 2015: 33.83
- 2021: 32.33

Points Allowed:
- 2015: 19.16
- 2021: 18.16

Turnovers produced:
- 2015: 13
- 2021: 13

Average margin of victory:
- 2015: 14.67 points
- 2021: 14.17 points

Opponents combined record:
- 2015: 14-22
- 2021: 18-17

Below are the comparisons between how Palmer & Murray match up statistically after 6 games:

Completion Percentage:
- Palmer: 66.45%,
- Murray 73.8%

Touchdowns:
- Palmer: 14
- Murray: 14 (17 total)

Interceptions:
- Palmer: 5
- Murray: 4

QB Rating:
- Palmer: 110.55
- Murray: 116.2

Passing Yards Per Game:
- Palmer: 289.5
- Murray: 290.16

I know it sounds heretical to speak this as Cards fans but ladies and gentlemen we are true contenders and this could legitimately be the year we win it all.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This defense is much nastier, even with just the 1 ppg differential.

The offenses are tough... that team was three deep at RB and had Fitz/The Drunk Guy Who’s Name Escapes Me/Brown all either at the end of their prime or the beginning of it. That was six legit weapons with power, speed and guile...

Eh, who cares.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The offenses are tough... that team was three deep at RB and had Fitz/The Drunk Guy Who’s Name Escapes Me/Brown all either at the end of their prime or the beginning of it. That was six legit weapons with power, speed and guile...

Eh, who cares.

Yeah, this no-name secondary is playing amazing football. Our linebacking unit is deep and versatile. And this JJ Watt fellow... I don't know where he came from but he really seems to create problems for the other team, even when he isn't getting sacks and tackles he is just chewing up blockers.

The defense is worlds better than I would have thought. I was highly skeptical of Wilson being ready, I was even more dubious that Murphy could be CB1 and not just a decent slot corner, both are playing lights out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer & Tyrann being healthy wouldn’t have solved our pass-rushing issues we had this year. We still get rolled vs Carolina regardless.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this years team is better

as good as the 2015 team was -- it lost to a bad Rams team at home, and, to a Pittsburgh team playing its 2nd and 3rd string QB.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

Eh, who cares.

(Floyd)

Agreed the defense this year is better. We haven’t seen Chandler (outside of TENN) and Buddha in dominant form for most of the season. We also still have young guys like Simmons, Wilson, Collins and Jalen that should continue to improve.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Palmer & Tyrann being healthy wouldn’t have solved our pass-rushing issues we had this year. We still get rolled vs Carolina regardless.

We also got lucky vs Green Bay (prior to the Hail Mary drive). I think Floyd ended up with tipped TD and Sam Shields dropped two picks. On the flip side we got unlucky the year before with Carson going down.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
this team is better...

look at opponents record...we are playing a much tougher schedule than 2015 did and still producing nearly identical numbers....but with 2 more wins.
and the thing is....we havent even seen this team play their best yet... they put together a pretty complete game against the rams but even then we left points on the field.

if this team ever puts together a complete game with every player at their A game for every snap....it may be the most beautiful thing the world of sport has ever seen...and I hope its in February

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave